Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi guys

I am a self taught, back yard mechanic who has never had the occasion to change shocks on any type of vehicle.

This summer I blew the seal on my right rear air shock on my 1999 wing. I went with the majority of posts recommending I replace the factory shocks with Progressive Air Shocks to get a better ride, etc.

I ordered the shocks and in the meantime proceeded to follow instructions on removing the old shocks. They say to put the bike on its center stand (which I removed when I installed my sidecar) so I jacked the rear wheel off the ground instead. Then they say to block up the final drive so it won't drop (which I did) I then removed the right shock and when I tried to install the new Progressive shock I found it to be about 1 1/2 inches too long. I can't get the mounting holes to line up.

What am I doing wrong? Did they send me the wrong shocks? I know if I remove the other shock (left one) I can drop the final dive enough to make them fit. Is this what I have to do? Why did they tell me to block up the drive so it doesn't drop?

Thanks for any help.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Did you get 2 air shocks or just replacing the 1?
Did you put it side by side of the stock shock to compare their lengths?
Does the jack under the swing arm go up and down? Lower it.
and remove both shocks.
I just use a board under the tire and a block wedged up to the tire to fulcrum lift the tire/swingarm to hook on the shocks to their mount bolts.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Hi Stu

Thank you for the quick reply
I am replacing both stock shocks with 2 air shocks that you install both air lines
to a tee and then the original air line to the compressor.
They claim this setup is much better than original especially since I'm using a
sidecar .

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Should work good for you. Let us know how you make out on it.

·
Senior Mem & Story Teller
3,498 Posts
imported post

unhook both shocks and carefully let the rear wheel down enough that you can get the new shocks bolts in. The new shocks will allow the rear wheel to extend that low anyway if you get into a situation that the wheel is not touching the ground. Like on its side while everyone is laughing at you falling over in the parking lot.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

silverider wrote:
...They say to put the bike on its center stand (which I removed when I installed my sidecar) so I jacked the rear wheel off the ground instead. Then they say to block up the final drive so it won't drop (which I did) I then removed the right shock and when I tried to install the new Progressive shock I found it to be about 1 1/2 inches too long. I can't get the mounting holes to line up.

What am I doing wrong? Did they send me the wrong shocks? I know if I remove the other shock (left one) I can drop the final dive enough to make them fit. Is this what I have to do? Why did they tell me to block up the drive so it doesn't drop?

Thanks for any help.
> Seems the problem is that you're Lifting upwards on the swingarm, causing it to Move Upwards, and in-turn making the distance too short, between the mounting locations for the shocks. You need to, instead, lift elsewhere than the swingarm... perhaps on the Tubular Crossmember that used to hold your (now missing) centerstand. Then...

1) Verify that the Lower End of your progressives contains a Metal Bushing... If not, then you can re-use the same bushing that is in your stock shocks.
2) Release any air in the shock system.
3) Install the new rt & lt side progressive shocks... they should drop right in. If not, then you can accomodate minor (~1/8") mis-matches in length by Lifting upwards on the rear wheel using a Wood Wedge between the bottom of the wheel and the ground. Can also put a spot of oil on the mating surfaces of the rubber grommets (at each end of the progressives), in order to more easily push them onto the mounting boss.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.