Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Replacing rubber diaphragms on gl1500 slides

4K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  redwing52 
#1 ·
1995 GL1500, with broken rubber on slides. Ordered replacements expecting an easy fix. Not so. Unable to find guidance for replacing the rubber on my slides. Replacements are rubber only, no rings or "tire" as referred to in some discussions. Any help appreciated.

#2 ·
What rubber slides are you talking about. I thought you were talking Carb's but read your post and am confussed. If your talking about the Diaphragms in the carb's, you have to pull your carb's and that is involved. Give us a little info and we can help.

#3 ·
Sorry for not explaining correctly. Yes, in the carbs, the carb slides(see where I did not explain). Both rubbers were stiff and one had a hole and whole assemblies were so expensive I figured i could just change the rubber or diapharagm. I have them off but only succeeded so far in making the existing hole larger. Hoping to get this done without further damage. Thanks

#5 ·
For clarification, it is a GL1500, which may be similar but definitely a bit different. I have found a few posts here and there about replacing the diaphragm on other carbs but none specifically for the 1200 or 1500. Some show cutting away the band part of the slide and using a slide with a new "tire" as they call it. My part is the diaphragm only, no tire. I have been unable to pull the old slide out from between the two tires on the slide. That must happen before I can install the new one. I am even wondering if it is possible at this point. I have lubed it, heated it a little with no success and almost pulled it apart which at this point matters little as it is torn. Has anyone replaced only the rubber diaphragm using the existing slide? If so, I need to know the procedure.

#6 · (Edited)
I just read your last post and I think it finally sunk in. If you only want to replace the diaphragm and want to save the old one you must push the diaphragm as far down as you can. Now pry off the yellow O-ring with the tip of a knife or very small screw driver. Then just stretch the diaphragm off. If you don't care about the old ones just pry the old ones off first. That makes it easier to get the o-ring out.

Audio equipment Auto part
Auto part Automotive wheel system Rim Wheel

#7 ·
If you are talking about the Vacuum Diaphragm's in the Carb,s that you can see with the air cleaner removed on a GL1500,they are not the one's Redwing pictured. They have a needle in the middle and slide sideways.Mine did not have a tire as you call it. Redwing what model Goldwing use's the Diaphrams you pictured? I think I'am confussed with this post.

#8 ·
You didn't say where you purchased the diaphrams. If from JBM industries look here for instructions. Caution: The glue they recommend is a fast setting gel. Get it "right" the first time. Also the retainer ring will pry off with a flat blade screwdriver and doesn"t have to be snipped off with side cutters. At least mine did. JBM Diaphragm for Honda VFR400R , VFR400RR, NC-30, VTR250, PC800

#9 ·
Thanks Mike. I understand what you are saying. My slide does not have a yellow ring, only a black one, and so far I have been unable to move it. I do understand what you are saying and will certainly give it a try. I am not interested in saving the old diaphragm, only the slide. I feared I might scuff or dent it to the point it would not seal but I guess that would not matter as long as it is not broken. Certainly worth a try, and again, thanks for your reply and the picture.
You didn't say where you purchased the diaphrams. If from JBM industries look here for instructions. Caution: The glue they recommend is a fast setting gel. Get it "right" the first time. Also the retainer ring will pry off with a flat blade screwdriver and doesn"t have to be snipped off with side cutters. At least mine did. JBM Diaphragm for Honda VFR400R , VFR400RR, NC-30, VTR250, PC800
Diaphragms ordered from ktkmotor, from somewhere like Taiwan. No mention of glue. Will try and remove old via your suggestion tomorrow. Guess I can buy locally a fast setting gel, thinking super glue or do you think that would work?Have E6000 which takes a few hours but I have the time.

#12 ·
Well, tried prying the rings apart on the slide and got some small movement, and a bit of noise like it was actually separating, like a short squeak. Continued pressure broke the top of the slide off although I worked around it very carefully. I now need a new slide, two in fact, as both need diaphragms. I would actually like to buy a working carb for a 1992 GL1500 if anyone has a good one for sale. Let me know. Also, failing that, where should I order slides from.

#15 ·
Larry, sorry. Mine pried off fairly easily.

#13 ·
The slides are fit to the carbs and should not be interchanged. If the lip broke off the top of the slide just put the new diaphragm on. Pick up the appropriate O-ring and glue it around the entire circumference.Might well be the person in there before you did that seeing you had a black ring. It isn't rocket science as the circumference of the diaphragm just needs to be secured and sealed to the slide. Push the diaphragm on and push it home. Test fit the slides in the carbs being sure they work smoooooth and the hole in the diaphragm lines up where it should. Remove the slide install and glue the O-ring in place.
The vacuum that is applied to the diaphragm is pretty light as it is only venturi vacuum. This repair will work just fine. If you sprinkle baking soda where the O-ring intersects with the slide Super Glue will set in seconds as baking soda is a catalyst. Then you have no worries about the glue getting away.

#16 ·
The slides are fit to the carbs and should not be interchanged. If the lip broke off the top of the slide just put the new diaphragm on. Pick up the appropriate O-ring and glue it around the entire circumference.Might well be the person in there before you did that seeing you had a black ring. It isn't rocket science as the circumference of the diaphragm just needs to be secured and sealed to the slide. Push the diaphragm on and push it home. Test fit the slides in the carbs being sure they work smoooooth and the hole in the diaphragm lines up where it should. Remove the slide install and glue the O-ring in place.
The vacuum that is applied to the diaphragm is pretty light as it is only venturi vacuum. This repair will work just fine. If you sprinkle baking soda where the O-ring intersects with the slide Super Glue will set in seconds as baking soda is a catalyst. Then you have no worries about the glue getting away.
While I agree the repair might work. The 1500 doesn't have an oring. The diaphrams are secured with a black square plastic ring that is glued on to secure the diaphram.
The diaphrams that I purchased from jbm have that square ring built into them as part of the rubber.

Reactions: redwing52
#14 · (Edited)
#19 ·
wrong year 97-00 Honda GL1500 carburetor body, single carb | eBay

are you using www.SearchTempest.com for you searches?
it trolls most of the world for you.
the fewer search terms the more hits, I try to stick with 2 words, or 3 maximum.

'88 carb body 88 HONDA GL1500 GL 1500 GOLD WING CARB CARBURETOR RIGHT EMPTY BODY VDGEA A | eBay

'88 carb body 88 HONDA GL1500 GL 1500 GOLD WING CARB CARBURETOR LEFT EMPTY BODY VDGEA A | eBay

'95 no good for you though 95 HONDA GOLDWING 1500 GL1500SE CARBURETOR BODY | eBay

'88 '89 parts basket columbia, MO for sale "carb gl1500" - craigslist

a whole running bike $3k zanesville for sale "carb gl1500" - craigslist

'89 says it runs delaware for sale "carb gl1500" - craigslist

The purpose of this list, is to show you how good SearchTempest is....

I used two words only gl1500 carb

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.