Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My bike is a '99 and, unfortunately, a California model. Since the bike is now 12 years old and my wife and I take very long trips on it, I wondered if it might be a good idea to replace all the rubber tubing. I wouldn't want to develop a leak while on the road. I do all my own work but find the Goldwing to be a mystifying, overly-complicated piece of machinery. I always manage to get things fixed at home with lots of tools and help from this forum but I'd be in a pickle on the road. Any thoughts on the rubber? Any advice or estimates of time to complete? Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

It takes about 2-days to replace All the hoses, and it is a knuckle-buster of a project... you'll do well to have a set of long hose-pliers of various sizes. Simply replace one line at a time, and you won't even have to consult the service manual to figure out what they are for.

The larger (> 1/2" OD) coolent hoses do Not require routine replacement... they last forever.

All the smaller vacuum lines, fuel lines, and coolent lines are viable candidates for replacement... using off-the-shelf bulk line material.

There are a couple vacuum lines that require removal of the left engine manifold, to access.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
imported post

Is he going to run into differnt diameters for the hoses? If one size how much length does he need?

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

BHAZLET wrote:
Is he going to run into differnt diameters for the hoses? If one size how much length does he need?
> That's the million-dollar question, in regards the sizes... I really don't know... I bought several packages of bulk hose that seemed close to the size needed, and then used whatever worked.

Offhand I recall needing about:
-20ft of vacuum line (1/8 ID?)
-10ft of coolent line (5/16 ID?)
-3ft of fuel line (.25 ID?)

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

a good inspection might be in order 1st but i would only replace the ones that look rough and get hot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.