Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

So, I was just thinking about this today...

How hard do y'all think it would be to replace the Panasonic tape deck in my 1200 with a marine-grade stereo? (Marine grade, so it'll hold up to the water.)

I know that I'd loose the functionality of the intercom, but since I don't have a riding partner, that's not a huge loss...

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
imported post

It's been a while but someone used to sell an adaptor to fit a regular DIN size radio on the 1200.
I had one on mine. Bob

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
imported post

Hey Phil, you might want to look into installing a cd player. I installed one made by pioneer. Works in conjunction with the existing stereo with the use of a FM modulator. This allows the the unit to play on a preset FM station, mine is 89.9. I mounted the sixpack unit in the trunk. The unit works absolutly fantastic, I have had mine in for the past three years. The part I liked is that I didn't have to remove the old stereo as mine was starting to have problems with the cassette tape portion not playing well. I checked into replacement as well as replacing the belt that drives the cassette but opted for this instead. As long as your FM is working , this is a great way to go. Good luck .

Clubby

Without a wing, you don't have a prayer

86 blue Aspy

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Does it have provisions for interfacing with helmet speakers?

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
imported post

Thanks for that link, My Intersate in a plane jane and I've been using a mp3 player and a walkman radio for stereo. Shoot for 25 bucks I mught just have to look at installing one. What about the wiring, anything special or just wiring to a 12V and ground. Is there and exhisting connector in an 87 GL1200I without radio?:baffled:

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

philcsand wrote:
So, I was just thinking about this today...

How hard do y'all think it would be to replace the Panasonic tape deck in my 1200 with a marine-grade stereo? (Marine grade, so it'll hold up to the water.)

I know that I'd loose the functionality of the intercom, but since I don't have a riding partner, that's not a huge loss...
philcsand, sure, you should be able to. I have an aftermarket radio installed in my personal Harley Electraglide & it works fantastic.

You will probably want to use a DIN style as those are basically smaller. I doubt any will completely fit in the dash pocket without either modifying the mounting pocket or having it stick out the back a little & having to make a custom enclosure out the rear.

If you use a Sony unit they will adapt to the handlebar controls with a cobbled resistor box & some changing of the stock wires.

I would also suggest you look into an MP3 type player as those are much less apt to skip on hard bumps.

I believe your stock speakers are 4 ohm & most aftermarket radios require 8 ohm speakers so you will probably need new there- (no big deal)..

Twisty

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

If your replacing the radio with a marine unit because the Honda radio has quit working I think it would be better and probably cheaper to have the Honda unit repaired at Sierra, those marine units arent cheap. The part I would miss most is the auto volume control and the MUTE button

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
imported post

I installed a Clarion AM-FM CD player in my 1200, just had to trim out the opening. Here is the write up. You can search the net for the best price. Runs about $150.

"One look at the M255, and you'll know Clarion is at the cutting edge of marine entertainment. This water resistant, detachable face deck features Clarion's exclusive Z-Enhancer Plus equalizer control. More than just an EQ, the Z-Enhancer Plus has two parametric settings and three presets for easy sound tailoring. You'll love the bright white LCD display and scrolling titles - you get all the information you could want in a large, easy to read screen. The M255 is designed to be part of a superb marine sound system, with preamp outputs and 52W x 4 peak power to drive even the most wattage-hungry speakers. The Zero-Bit Detector mute circuit shuns any unwanted low-level CD noise, while the dual 1-bit D/A converters with 8x oversampling ensure flawless CD playback. Clarion's famous Magi-Tune tuner pulls in stations loud and clear and gives you 24 station presets. Fully coated, marine grade circuit board and switches ensures trouble-free performance - even in harsh saltwater conditions."

jp
oh- BUT- no intercom. I didn't have it to start with.

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
imported post

Hey all! I am a newbie here, but on the first search, I have found some good information on my wing (the aftermarket radio holder)! (1985 Interstate)

I appreciate all helping out with such an immense amount of information!

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

lilkrou wrote:
Hey all! I am a newbie here.
Hey lilkrou :waving: Welcome to the greatest Goldwing Forum on the net. :clapper:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

lilkrou wrote:
Hey all! I am a newbie here, but on the first search, I have found some good information on my wing (the aftermarket radio holder)! (1985 Interstate)

I appreciate all helping out with such an immense amount of information!
Hey there, can you tell me what/where you found this info? I have an 84 Asp and the radio has died and I have been struggling to find any idea of how to repair or replace.

It has already been to Sierra Electronics 2 times and still does not work. I really would prefer to just replace it at this point.

All ideas are welcome!!

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Mark What's wrong with the radio?

Sierra is pretty good at fixing these things. You may have something related to your ton/speed module. Or you may have switch problems on handlebar. Or, problems in the multichanger box. Depends on what the problem is. Those switches on LH handlebar, can oxidize, and won't function, or be "glitchy"

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

Oregonwinger wrote:
Mark What's wrong with the radio?

Sierra is pretty good at fixing these things. You may have something related to your ton/speed module. Or you may have switch problems on handlebar. Or, problems in the multichanger box. Depends on what the problem is. Those switches on LH handlebar, can oxidize, and won't function, or be "glitchy"
About 6 months ago the stereo was fine. Then after riding an hour or two the sound would start fading to fuzz and/or static. Then slowly the time it worked became less and the time of static and fuzz was more and louder. It eventually became almost all static and noise. The last shop I took it to here in houston the guy is and older guy been working on bikes for over 30 years. This time when we turned it on the station was fuzz, but then it slowly tuned itself (without us touching it). Then slowly moved on to fuzz, then new station, etc. Even if I press the pre-sets or scan, the number on the digital read out changes, but the sound stays the same (fuzz, then station, then fuzz and so on).

Extremely wierd, but I agree with him, that it seems it could only be the stereo and not antennae or anything else.

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
imported post

Philcsand, I too have the cd player in the trunk. works good. It's not only the intercom feature you would lose, would'nt you also lose the ability to listen thru the headsets?

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Replacing the radio, may not fix it. Find someone who has a 1200, and borrow their radio, and try yours in theirs. That'll tell you a lot.

Did you try some contact cleaner/lube on the contacts on the rear of radio? It's a well known fact, that those give trouble. Also, bending them out, sometimes helps. Does it do the same on FM, and/or AM?Hows the cassette do. If the cassette works, look in the antenna system. If the cassette is bad sounding, rule out the antenna system.Try pulling apart, back together, back apart, together, a few times on anyrelated connectors. If you send it to Sierra again, you may have to send the whole works to them. Also, what kind of shape is the antenna system in? Does it have a CB? Could be an antenna signal problem. If it has a CB, there's a antenna switcher box, on the left side, for switching the antenna to CB, for transmitting, and there may be a problem there. Find the end of antenna lead, and do a resistance test. Should be close to zero, from tip, to shaft of antenna. And infinity, from tip to ground.

Could be a bad ground, somewhere, too. Start with the ground wires to the frame, under the pod. Also, the Battery ground at the Triangle (upper rear engine mount, left side), is a trouble spot. Think contacts, bad grounds. Rule them out, first.

So, tell us what the cassette, vs radio reception, do, and we can take it from there.

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
imported post

From what he said, it sounds like the tuner is bad, especially if it tunes itself. If is sweeps the spectrum on it's own, I would say that the either the tuner circuit or the controls are buggered.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

or it keeps seeking, for lack of a good signal.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

Oregonwinger wrote:
Replacing the radio, may not fix it. Find someone who has a 1200, and borrow their radio, and try yours in theirs. That'll tell you a lot.

Did you try some contact cleaner/lube on the contacts on the rear of radio? It's a well known fact, that those give trouble. Also, bending them out, sometimes helps. Does it do the same on FM, and/or AM?Hows the cassette do. If the cassette works, look in the antenna system. If the cassette is bad sounding, rule out the antenna system.Try pulling apart, back together, back apart, together, a few times on anyrelated connectors. If you send it to Sierra again, you may have to send the whole works to them. Also, what kind of shape is the antenna system in? Does it have a CB? Could be an antenna signal problem. If it has a CB, there's a antenna switcher box, on the left side, for switching the antenna to CB, for transmitting, and there may be a problem there. Find the end of antenna lead, and do a resistance test. Should be close to zero, from tip, to shaft of antenna. And infinity, from tip to ground.

Could be a bad ground, somewhere, too. Start with the ground wires to the frame, under the pod. Also, the Battery ground at the Triangle (upper rear engine mount, left side), is a trouble spot. Think contacts, bad grounds. Rule them out, first.

So, tell us what the cassette, vs radio reception, do, and we can take it from there.
So is there anyone out there in Houston (preferable west - Beltway Westheimer area) with a 1984 GW Aspencade that would be willing to let me buy them lunch on a Saturday so I do a little swap test like this post is recommending.

As for the ideas (and thank you - they are all sound ideas), I have worked this thing over myself several times and Sierra and the 2 bike shops. One of the shops is an independant guy that is about 60 and has been working on bikes for 40+ years. Between us I think we covered most of these, but I am not sure what the reading on the antennae were. The one place dug deep into the antennae though and tells me it is fine. The cassette has been fried since I bought the bike several years ago. It does have a CB, so my next step might be to check out that switch you mentioned.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.