Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've just heard and found out about your site. Thank you for a site with so much information.

BTW. I have a problem with the C B on my 1994 GL 1500 SE. It will receive but will not transmit. I'm hoping someone will have info that will show me where to look to correct the problem. Anyone with info is welcome to email me at my email address on my profile.

Thank you all in advance
Bill Goodner

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the site!

Not transmit is pretty broad.. I take it to mean that with PTT pushed, nothing happens (no carrier.. nothing).... or not heard very well??

Sierra Electronics is the recommended expert for this, but maybe others will have something to say..

ohhh.. you might disguise your email address a little bit or you'll be getting a lot of spam from the "spam bots" that harvest email addresses from forum postings like this one..

·
Premium Member
1,792 Posts
imported post

Yeah, a little more info would be helpful... Do you see the display in the CB go from RX to TX??? Is it a case of no audio or is there no carrier at all??? In other words, when you press the transmit button and you are listening on another CB with the squelch open, does it get quiet with no audio or is there no quieting (carrier) at all??? (hope I described that so you could understand it)

Les

·
Wild Rhino - Canadian
591 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum; you might find someone that has a SWR meter to check for output and antenna problems. If it needs repair then call Sierra.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum Bill. Does anything happen when you press the transmit switch? Dash light indicate TX? If not, the switch could be sticking, or one of the bullet connectors for it down the handlebars could be disconnected.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks for the replies. When I push the PTT button the Tx light does come on, there is no carrier at all, I've had another CB close by and it does not even affect the reception at all. The lights do change from Rx to Tx.

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

I had the same problem and it turned out to be a bad capacitor in the Tx circuit. I sent it off to Sierra for them to fix.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
imported post

Hello I know this is an old topic but I want to try...
I installed an used cb into a friend of mine 1500. From the beginning it seemed to not transmit. Pushing the PTT the TX light does not lit but there is modulation. The rx on my bike lits up. We made some test and it seemed to work anyway. No TX but I heard his voice on my bike (unless I was drunk)... Today we got the bikes for a trip and no voice on my bike.... there is modulation but no voice. Some test or workaround to make?
Thanks in advance
Andrea

·
Vendor
680 Posts
imported post

Does he hear himself in intercom mode with volume turned up to a high level?? The fact you see Rx on yours indicates he has RF output but no mic, modulation.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
imported post

Hello he told me he hear himself... the intercom works as I plugged my helmet into his passenger outlet and we speak each other. I see you are from Sierra.... I wrote you an email....
Do you think it was possible I heard him when I installed the CB with the TX light off?

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

My first approach would be to find someone in your area, who would allow you to swap their working-cb for yours, to see if that fixes the problem... If so, then you know it's your cb, and not the downstream wiring.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
imported post

Before continually keying the CB, I'ld trace the antenna lead it's entire length and make sure no connections are undone and no damage. I'ld also check my headset on another bike. That's easier than swapping radios (which I wouldn't do from either angle) I think.

When it get's to sending it off for repair, Sierra Electronics in Troy Ohio is the place.

:waving:

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
imported post

His headset is working, tested on my bike, also tested my headset on his bike and the cb does not work. I would like to know if:
1 antenna connection could make the cb not working,
2 check the cb without antenna could demage the cb
3 what could be which prevent the TX light to lit up if not demaged cb
I thought to swap CB but I shouldn't want to find myself with 2 not working unit... :^)

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
imported post

Andrew .... I saw your post, but I thought you was in Italy and he was in Florida or something?

andrew59it wrote:
His headset is working, tested on my bike, also tested my headset on his bike and the cb does not work. I would like to know if:
1 antenna connection could make the cb not working,
2 check the cb without antenna could demage the cb
3 what could be which prevent the TX light to lit up if not demaged cb
4 I thought to swap CB but I shouldn't want to find myself with 2 not working unit... :^)

Thanks
1 ... YES

2 ... YES

3 ... HUH? (not sure what you're asking?)

and then ....

4 ... I wouldn't swap mine, nor would I ask someone to swap with me for that very reason.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
imported post

Thank CP
2 defective antenna could prevent the TX to lit up?
3 I mean if defective antenna or harness could prevent the TX light to lit up. Not the PTT as it works (tested)

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
imported post

Hello some news today.... we made no test this period because of the snow and low temperatures, but today my friend wrote me: "Some news Andrea, I discovered the CB trnsmit from channel 1 to channel 16, from 17 to 40 always the same defect...." This thing seems very strange. Any tips?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
imported post

Hello the mistery deepens... today I remove the cb but we made some test before. We dicovered the following:
starting form channel 1 to channel 24 the TX goes on but with incresing dealy. For example if on channel 1 the tx goes on immediately, on channel 24 goes on after 2-3 seconds. From channel 25 to 40 nothing.... A cb technician told us it could be the PLL (?) but he is not able to repair it.
Have you any tips to help me to repair the cb?
Thanks
Andrea

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.