1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

To Whom It May Concern:

Hi there,

I am a South African working here in Nigeria for the past three years. I am a member of the South African Wing Riders as I own a beautiful Gold Wing 1500GL. Every three months I go for a break in SA and then you can not get me off my bike for my entire break of three weeks. Rain, wind, cold it just doesn’t matter to me. I just love it.

My problem is that I was fooled big time two years ago when I bought the bike. It was registered in SA in 1997 and I was tols by the person who sold it to me that that was the model of the bike. I was still a rooky at that time and accepted that. (Stupid me). I’ve paid for a 1997 model hence when I attended our yearly WING FLING in October a month ago I got the bad news. Some of the experienced Gold Wingers told me that these bikes (like mine) came out only in the Gold Color during the 1980’s. They showed me their stickers on their handle bars that stipulate the year model but mine were only a white sticker with no info on it. So, it looks like it was washed off with thinners or something.

How can I find out what model is my Bike?

• Is their any specific way that a person can find out or can some of your members can tell me when did the bikes come out in the gold color and how many years was the gold color produced?
  • Attached is my bike’s info regarding the engine number and the VIN number? Can this be used to identify the model of the bike?
I will appreciate it if anybody in one of your chapters can assist me with this heart sore issue. I decided not to confront the seller as I will not gain anything out of it. It means now that I just have to appreciate the bike more due to the fact that it is about 8 - 10 years older than what I thought it was. It has 97000km on the clock. Is that a lot for a Wing? Last month on the way to the Wing Fling and back I took a hefty detour and I spend 16 days on my bike (with a trailer) and did over 4000Km. What a festival it was.

VIN Number – 1NFSC221XJA000817

Engine number – SC22E2005233

Could you please pass this message to your chapters, someone somewhere might be able to clear my mind on this.

Again, thank you.

Renier de Jongh from South Africa

Attachments

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
imported post

Hi Renier and welcome to the Worlds best Goldwing forum. I'm sure one of our resident Gurus can help you with this, maybe when Wexy has a chance to check the forum he'll run the Vin and come up with a year of manufacture for you!

Meanwhile we have a great membership here and we like to see our members post regularly and often if they need to. We have experts on ALL models of the Wing here so rest assured that someone will be able to help!

Again, Welcome to the Forum from Cbltech59 in Ireland! :cool:

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,135 Posts
imported post

Well, first of all I can tell you that the bike cannot possibly be older than 1988 as that is the first year the gl1500 series bikes were made.

usually the bike will have the make and model on a tag that is attached to the frame just below the handlebars on the right side. **** the handlebars full left and look down onto the frame below the triple tree. you should find the year model there. At least it is on USA bikes.

Now, you have a lot of friends there in SA. Some of whom are also a member of this forum.

Would you please click on My Account on any title page and then Profile and fill in your location? Our members are scattered all over the whole of the planet Earth :waving:

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Hi ,JUST CHECKED THE VIN ,IT IS A 1988

your vin number is actually 1HFSC221XJA000817

NOT1NFSC221XJA000817

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the board Renier. Some countries imported old Wings and gave them brand new registration plates instead of age related ones like we get in the UK. I think the name for that gold colour is Martini Beige and it was available in 1988 & 89, if you go back to the front page of the forum and click on the Goldwing History link and you can read the model changes year by year.

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum from Florida. :cheeky1:

97,000 miles is just early in that ole girls life.

My 85 1200 has about 138,000 on her and I don't hesitate to take off on any ride. She gives me a 1000 mile day anytime I ask her to.

·
Premium Member
6,870 Posts
imported post

Welcome from the
Steve Saunder's GOLDWING FORUM

A Big Welcome FromTEXAS

:waving:

·
Pops
4,519 Posts
imported post

[align=left]HelloRenier de Jongh and welcome from Arizona.

[/align]

[align=left] "Why buy'm if you don't ride'm"[/align]

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum, from N.W. Missouri! Sorry your bike was misrepresented to you, but you've still got a nice one.

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

Hi,
I agree that it is a shame that you were cheated, but you still have a nice bike. The 97,000 kms is nice and low for that age. There is still plenty of life for that bike. Easy for a goldwing to do 300,000 kms.

:waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving:

Hello from Virginia,

Welcome Aboard!!!!!

Glad to have you with us!

:waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving:

·
Premium Member
20,585 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum from the State of Confusion......Kansas! :waving:

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

Welcome to this Great Site!

Pull up a chair and join on in!

Ride Safe, Ray

:waving:

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Thanks to all for a warm welcome. Yes, it is a 1988 model. now it means I will have to look after it much better. How do I load a photo of my bike on this page next to my name like the others?

·
Premium Member
7,133 Posts
imported post

Hey! :waving: from Hamburg, NY
[align=center]THIS IS A GREAT PLACE TO BE![/align]

If you have Goldwing Technical Smarts - GIVE IT! :2finger:

If you need help - ASK FOR IT! :blushing:
If you know of an event coming up or a cool ride you went on - SHARE IT! :banana:

If you have a joke or funny story - TELL IT! :cheeky1:[/align]
If you have prayers to give or need some - FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE, SAY IT! :angel:

If you have anything bad to say to or about anyone on this forum - STUFF IT! :whip:

[align=center] WELCOME TO THE FAMILY!!!
:cooler:[/align]

·
Premium Member
2,480 Posts
imported post

Hi....welcome from the Netherlands!!!:banana:

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
imported post

renier.dejongh wrote:
Thanks to all for a warm welcome. Yes, it is a 1988 model. now it means I will have to look after it much better. How do I load a photo of my bike on this page next to my name like the others?
If you go to a forum topic page, you should see your "PROFILE". Click on it. There should be "buttons" at the top of the page. Click the one that says "Avatar".
That will allow you to browse your computer to find a picture to up-load.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Nope, can not come right. How do I update or edit my profile though. Sorry but this is new to me but I will get there

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

Go back to the forums front page Renier where you login. Once you are logged in you will see the MY ACCOUNT link, click it and when your profile page opens you will see all your options.For the avatar, just click the AVATAR tab and a new page will open with all the forum avatars and an option to browse and upload your own picture.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.