Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

All: I must confess a flaw, Imutterly, raving, foaming at the mouthmad (sent em to the looney bin, mum) when it comes to safety, just writing in advance to let know about this contageous condition. 150,000 + miles / 242,000 Km on two wheels plus off - road ATV racing and nary a scratch thanks to this mental disturbance. So if I get a little bent on safety now and again, please excuse and up my meds.

And any of ye "newbies" out there, if youv'e not spent quite a few years moving up the ranks from smaller cycles and/or had racing experience, please get training. Being dead isnt quite as bad as being mangled under a Goldwing.A Goldwing can get one in serious trouble in a blink of an eye. If anyones just bought a Goldwing as a first motorcycle, park it.Buy a smaller cycle and get some time in before tangling with a monster.

Signed, Village Idiot.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Well said Dave Campbell, :clapper:I have been preaching this for years,:whip: Training, Training, and more Training :clapper: and after all the training it takes years to gather the experiece that might one day save your life or some other unfortunate person. :crying: Ride Safe. :waving:

:baffled: :18red: :baffled:

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Funny you should mention starting out small :D.. I started out on a Vespa Motor Scooter way back in the 60's. I have also preached saftey on this board and for the most part you can rest easy about these guys.. They catch on real quick. This forum is more than just a tech site, it's a way of life for Goldwingers. I have also found that you really don't have to beat their skulls in to get a point across because they're like sponges... The more you give them, the more they want to absorb about this sport.;)

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

All good advice dave. At least buy a smaller bike with the Wing for practise. The last place to be when a Goldwing goes down is on the beast.

·
Banned
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

03Silver wrote:
All good advice dave. At least buy a smaller bike with the Wing for practise. The last place to be when a Goldwing goes down is on the beast.
And if thats not the place to be, what option is left? Not a happy thought.

Redwing : Agreed, I never stop training because I know when I do, im in trouble. Always took it out in Spring and tested both it and me and went to the motorcycle riders test course to be sureI could still pass it.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

Heh... great post considering what happened to me today...

Long LONG long hard day at work, and it was just starting to rain. I hate the rain when riding, and I wanted to get as far as I could before it started coming down.

So, we have me tired, agitated, and angry at a hard day's work, combined with the man upstars getting ready to tinkle on me, and my back acting up.

I just got the goldwing, so everything on it is new, and interesting to me. A bit distracting if you know what i mean.

Me:

Distracted, in pain, tired, agitated, angry, rushed to get home, and driving through a very narrow road with cars parked on either side of the road.

It happened so fast, I was past the car by the time I realized what happened. A large van was trying to turn onto the road I was on, and didn't see me until he was a foot from hitting me.

After my heart dropped out of my mouth, I pulled over at a Starbucks, and stayed there for about an hour. I should have just stayed at work until I had a chance to unwind, but sometimes we just don't think right.

I have been through the BRC courses, and have been riding for a few years. There are just some times when all the training in the world can be eclipsed by a stupid mistake. Where training ends, dumb luck and high quality safety gear come into play.

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

You are absolutely right philcsand, could have been a nasty result. In my opinion, one of the most often over looked safety precautions is the one that tells you you are in no mood or condition to ride,,There is no shame in saying " I am just not in the right frame of mind to ride today, I'll take the cage." I think we all have had days like this. It's kinda like when you in a fight, if your angry, tired , hurting or mentally not prepared, your gonna take a beating. The big difference is on the bike, the beating may be fatal!! Ride Safe, Ride Smart and if need be, ride the cage.

·
Banned
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I sold my first Gl1200 because on the first ride out in a season, I almost pulled out in front of a car on a blind hill. Not that that hadnt happened before, but I was too messed up mentally to think straight. Either it went, or I went and I can think of more fun ways to go.

Phil, sorry to hear that, especially considering the wicked traffic you all have out there. I drove through Sea/Tac in a car and was scared witless. Used to live in Richland.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

goldwinger wrote:
In my opinion,There is no shame in saying " I am just not in the right frame of mind to ride today.
Hey goldwinger, :waving:This is my favourite topic. :clapper:I could print pages on this, :stumped:but i would be afraid of being banned of the forum for taking up too much space. :whip:Dont get on your :15red::18red::1000yellow:if your not in the right frame of mind, :crying:eek:r after having a barney with whats her name, :baffled:take the cage or go for a long :walker:. :grinner:This decision could save your life.

:weightlifter: :18red: :weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

On the subject of size I would point out that to some larger than life Wing Owners the GL1800 and 1500SE is very similar to riding avespa. :cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Yep... if I'm not 100% Isimply don't ride. I'm in a position where I don't have to ride.The universityis only 1-1/2 miles away, so I either walk, take the bus, or ride a bicycle.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

I need to get the following bumper sticker:

"EVERYWHERE I GO, THE WORLD'S WORST DRIVERS CLOSELYFOLLOW"

I have had more than my share of close calls unfortunatly. That is why I wear the TiMax gloves by ICON. They have titanium armor plates rivited onto them, and they make a really great sound when I knock on someone's door while they are trying to merge on top of me.I swear thatmy KZ 750has some sort of chamelion paint on it, because when I'm on it, I'm invisible. The horn doesn't do a bit of help. (It's just a meep meep anyhow) and no one would actually take the time to LOOK before merging. Sheesh. Anyhow, on that bike, I've found that the best way to get people's attention is to pull in the clutch, redline the engine, and let the Kerker megaphone muffler tell people I'm around. (Harley's sound like a vespa against me at 9.5k RPM :D ) It's either that, or a loud clank against their door with the knuckle plate.

Dave, it just keeps getting worse.

There's a saying round here:

Seattle drivers don't know how to drive in the rain...

or the sun...

or the wind...

at night...

during the day etc.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Come on, Seattle drivers are just average, I've been scared in Chicago, New York, LA, Vancouver B.C., and Yokohama just to mention a few memorable incidents. What fun in California, the only state in the Union that allows motorcycles to share lanes with cars. I've also seen my share of bikers acting like complete fools. We all have an innate ability to be stupid, I'm sure there have been plenty oftimes unbeknownst to me where someone's quick reflexes saved me from my own folly. I try to do predictable things on the road, keep an eye on everything around me, leave a large intervale ahead and all that, but no one's good enough to keep up the concentration all the time. That's also why I always use the turn signals, even at 0200 when there's nothing else on the road, just trying to keep the good habits strong. But I still won't five those idiots in Seattle credit for being unusually good at anything even being lousy drivers.

:whip::whip::whip:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.