Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi there,

We recently acquired an 02 goldwing 1800. we had rented a couple of 08 goldwings in the last year. while there are a couple of comfort issues for driver and rider, overall pretty good. My question is, after reviewing the history associated with this forum related to gws and mods over the years, while riding the 08's i [the passenger] didn't have any major trouble with the seat however after a 350 mile ride yesterday I noticed at least two things I'll mention here. One is the seat felt quite hard about 1/2 to 2/3 into the ride. Secondly, during the night I noticed pain in my sacrum/tailbone area which had not occurred on the 08 rides which were similar in length. Secondly, my husband, the driver, has had the issue with both year bikes of a pain between his shoulder blades that lasts for most of the ride, starts about 20 mins into the ride for him. Any inputs?

Thanks.

G

·
Premium Member
1982 naked gl1100
2,576 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum!

Can't comment on the seat issue(s). Never even sat on an 1800.

Only one smart-a** remark about the pain between his shoulder blades: Hold on to the armrests and not his shoulders/neck. hehehe

Anyway, Welcome again to the forum. Soon someone will come along to better address your issues...

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
imported post

gorgeous52 wrote:
Hi there,

We recently acquired an 02 goldwing 1800. we had rented a couple of 08 goldwings in the last year. while there are a couple of comfort issues for driver and rider, overall pretty good. My question is, after reviewing the history associated with this forum related to gws and mods over the years, while riding the 08's i [the passenger] didn't have any major trouble with the seat however after a 350 mile ride yesterday I noticed at least two things I'll mention here. One is the seat felt quite hard about 1/2 to 2/3 into the ride. Secondly, during the night I noticed pain in my sacrum/tailbone area which had not occurred on the 08 rides which were similar in length. Secondly, my husband, the driver, has had the issue with both year bikes of a pain between his shoulder blades that lasts for most of the ride, starts about 20 mins into the ride for him. Any inputs?

Thanks.

G

first of all welcome to a great forum and congratulations on your purchase.

We have a 2005 with the stock seat. My wife has absolutely no complaints as a passenger but I get the tailbone area pain you refer to when doing long consecutive days. Many passengers do complain that the seat back reclines too far back which does put added stress on the tailbone. A couple of manufactures sell aftermarket seat backs for the passenger. These recline about 10% less and apparently resolve the issue. :waving:

When we first got the 1800 I experienced a lot of pain between my shoulder blades. Apparently this is very common and a lot of people add risers the bring the bars closer to them. I was lucky because a friend suggested that I practice keeping my elbows closer to my body and I haven't experienced the shoulder blade pain again.:baffled:

P.S. My wife has the kuryakyn armrests. Maybe they help her too but I don't know for sure. I do know that she loves them. :baffled:

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Hey,

Thanks for feedback thus far, will stop holding onto his shoulders :). Thanks to wrongway also, that will be helpful for husband to try.

g

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

I bought a Corbin seat with the bum heaters and integral passenger arm rests / backrest about 4yrs ago. It is a bit hard on the backside for the first 100 or so miles but since then neither my wife on the back or I have had any comfort or muscular problems. The heated seat with seperate switches for rider and pillion is performing excellent with a low and high heat setting. It is a personal thing but I prefer the Corbin to the stock seat and have no problems so far with it.

·
I am the Hobo
9,690 Posts
imported post

Don't have any problems with the seat, unless I simply spend too long in it. Christine's passenger backrest on the trikehas been filled out to be more vertical (PO's wife had back trouble). Vasco prefers the bike for the ride, but thinks the backrest on the trike is more comfortable. (04 bike and 53 trike).

Apart from the heating elements, I don't think there is any difference in the standard seats throughout the 1800 range. Maybe the 02 seat is just getting tired? Saying that, my previous (03) 1800 had 50 odd thousand miles and the seat was fine. :)

For the shoulder blades, handlebar risers are available which might help?

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

You can spend several hundred dollars on a fancy sheep skin covered gel pad for your butt. :) Or a couple hundred more for an airhawk air cushion, or you can go to Walmarts and purchase the air filled seat cushion they have. I think it is under 25 dollars, has been awhile since I even looked for one, it does a great job on a long run. I think they still sell them.

The very best thing I ever did to my bike was to install the Kuryakyn handlbar riser kit. I installed mine full up and full back, and now also use the **** O Peg system for my feet and I can now slide foward on the seat, put my feet out and sit in the easy rider style. The riser kit also greatly improves low speed handling due to the simple fact you do not have to reach for the bars so far.

When all that fails, I eat about 4 tylenol pills. :D Kit

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

You can get handle bar offsets which adjust your angle of your bars also get some hyw pegs and move around some

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.