Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Electrical wiring Gas Auto part Cable Wire

This is the reverse resistor, , during a rear tire change I noticed the wire that connects to the large stud above the red wires, was loose. The wire terminal has a flag to control position or orientation. I am not certain what was the original position, as none of them make any sense. The easiest assembly aligns the flag part down over the insulator, but the terminal contacts the raised aluminum part just to the right of the stud and insulator. This would ground that terminal.

Does anyone have a diagram for the reverse system, or could someone shove a camera under their bike to show the position of the terminal.?
Electrical wiring Gas Auto part Cable Wire

·
Administrator
28,228 Posts
Thanks for the diagram, I will have to do a little more checking. It looks like the wire runs directly to starter terminal, which would cause a chernobl problem when I went to start it.
It would only cause a problem when using reverse.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Yes, make sure that lug is not contacting anything other than the post and nut. It goes hot any time the starter is being used for starting or reverse. When the resistor is mounted, the cable on the lug points at the three pin connector and the frame opening under the battery box. There should be a rubber cover on the lug and nut. Here is the only mounted picture of it from the service manual.

Vehicle Car Hood Steering part Automotive lighting

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did some more looking at the resistor connection, the black nylon insulator has a notch in one edge that matches the tab that keeps the terminal from rotating on the stud.
In the picture, that notch is faced away from the camera. The side facing the camera has a raised aluminum spot next to the insulator, which if the terminal was installed with the tab on that side would ground out the terminal and lead, which would dead short when the starter came on, either cranking or reversed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts