Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 88 Posts

·
Senior Memory
613 Posts
imported post

Thanks Tim, I personally havent had the bad experience but I know it must exists. Thanks for bringing it to attention and I hope for those that have been hurt or did hurt feelings that this is a turn around point and we can all work togather to keep this the best site of it's kind on the web.

.......Um and oh..... If I am one of the ones you are talking about then I need to know cause I would never intentionaly say or do anything to offend or hurt feelings. I would feel so bad if I did.

Roger

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
imported post

after reading this it reminds me of when i first joined, i made a comment on a subject and a member jumped in and ridiculed me on my opinion (wasnt really an opinion as i knew what the original poster was talking about). i almost didnt come back but the originator of the post p.md me and we had a conversation and figured out his problem. i'm not always right and when i'm wrong i consider it a learning experiance.other members have made a public goodbyes (most of you kno who it was ) do to certain opinions,i dont really post much do to that day but i do come on read and learn. i enjoy this place its one of the things i do when i get home as MMF said its woven itself into my life. i would like to thank all of those people who spend countless hours doing what they do to make this place great .

just my 1/2 cent

Phatty of 2

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,651 Posts
imported post

phatty of 2 wrote:
i would like to thank all of those people who spend countless hours doing what they do to make this place great .
It is an honor to serve the forum.

It has become a permanent feature of my life, I love learning from people and hopefully remembering enough of what they taught to pass it on to someone else.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

some said it earlier this is just like one big family and what family is perfect. you always have the wise guy and grouch and the grinch and the peace maker. this place is no different. 99.9 percent of the time it's wonderful place and the other .1 percent i haven't seen yet. just had a lot of help and made some new friends. hey if it's not to your likeing turn the thread.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

There seems to be alot of people on this site that are willing to help their fellow wingers. And a few that feel they are owed an answer on the spot. I will try to give a reply to help someone who frustrated by their bike and just want to get done with it. Some folks feel they have tried everything there is and feel it cant be done.I don't understand the sentiment about not using car tires over bike tires or yanking the 4 carbs and going with one. I say if that's what you want to do, do it. I also will give mostly responses on gl 1000's or 1100's, as I have owned at least one, and know a little about them. Not everything but some. I get a kick out of a funny response as much as the next guy and sometimes, the funny answer is the best part of the post. When I first signed on the site I gave what I thought was a good response to a post, and received several pm's that made me sound like I was belittleing the original poster. I wasn't, but now I try to choose my words a little better and not come off as a know it all or worse. This is really a great site for help and info from people who have gone thru the issues some people are just having. Everyone seems passionate about their bike, problem of the moment, oil, tires,ect.But you have a better chance of getting a true answer here then anywhere.And if someone is having a bad day, week , or month most here will try to help them anyway. Maybe we need to talk to each other like we would talk to an old friend or your kid. Helpful but not condescending.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
imported post

Forgive me Mr magic Fingers for hi-jacking your thread, this is for skip20. If you are using Windows you will have the "Notepad" utility. It's a basic program but you can write, 'type' your thoughts on this at leisure on your computer and then copy and paste it in the Quick Reply window or you can save it to your My Documents folder on your computer. Then you won't loose it.

I don't know where I got this program but you can get it here http://tiny.cc/rywZ2 it's called photosize400. Once you download it put it on your desktop, the icon is a magnifying glass. Any picture you want to resize just drag the picture on to the icon on your desktop and it will resize it and place the picture in the folder with the original picture, renamed with 400 on the end for you to see it easily. Then you can attach the resized photo to your post, email or whatever. It's very quick only a second. I've used it about ten times since I downloaded it yesterday.

I agree with you Mr Magic fingers, this is a great site to visit often, sometimes some people get a little overheated and perhaps it is the stress of our times, but we are fortunate to have moderators who really work at reining us in and extinguish the flames before they get out of hand. Certainly there is a lot of non essential stuff posted but I think of that as a bunch of guys sitting around a bar after a stressful day and having a chat, a smoke and a laugh. I have a great amount of respect for many members here who have given me an abundance of useful advice. It's a great place to visit often.

Recently there has been some really interesting discussions about single carbs and alternative tires, but the everyday problems being solved by the experienced from near and far is marvelous.

Respectfully Yours,
Colm

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

skip20 wrote:
:waving:Skip20 here, I too just said " this site sucks" due to the fact I just typed a long intro & loss anything.
I am not a good or fast typer.
I'm sorry for my comment, but still MAD!!!!!
I know it said attachment no larger then 768000 bytes, didn't know how big mine was as I took it off my camera.
:?But Why did I lose all of my typing?
Losing what you typed is usually a problem with your computer or your ISP. All too often once you hit the send button the ISP or server doesn't react fast enough and your message will time out and be lost. It's not a problem of the website itself. You an avoid this problem if you'll use the right button on your mouse and highlight your message and click on copy. That will store a copy of the message on your notepad. If your message disappears you can just hit the reply button again and with your cursor in the white reply box right click your mouse and click on paste. That will put another copy of your message in the box for another try.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Hi Wingle, looks like you were quicker on the draw than I was.:waving:

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Hi Wingle, looks like you were quicker on the draw than I was.:waving:
I just snuck in while you were giving sound advice elsewhere. :)

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

You know,the real heros in all this are the mods. They have a tough job reading, evaluating, and deciding what just has to get the axe. Just enough diversity and difference in opinions to keep it interesting, but dilligent enough to protect our site from out and out cyber brawls. Thanks to all the mods, and staffers. jimsjinx

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

I have to chime in there and thank the mods... and interestingly enough the greeters. They really made me fell welcome when I first landed here!

Thanks all...

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Jeez, I can't believe that this thread was posted in the technical section.................:cooldevil:

Just kidding. This forum's civility is what keeps me coming back to it. I've really enjoyed the friendly feeling and great advice that abounds on this site. I originally joined a large Goldwing society and it wasn't long before I found out that you'd better not ask a question that had been gone over before you even joined. Flames everywhere. I also just loved the one liner responses such as "Check your owners manual(dummy)" I cancelled my membership after just one year of abuse.

I was a Guru on this site at one time and although I was flattered to be nominated, I soon asked to be "demoted" because to me, a Guru should have much more experience than I have(had).

So, yes there will be the smartarses that filter in, but just ignore them. Don't indulge them by a response as it just re-inforces their ego.

Well, time to go get the bike out. We're seeing the sun for the first time in about a week and it's going to get to 62degF. out.:clapper:

Regards,

Hobie

·
Premium Member
2,925 Posts
imported post

I agree I think this is a great site.I know I dont post very many time on here .but I have a lot of trouble spelling and onley been on a computer for a few mounts,so I have a lot of proublem rewording things so I can spell them. But I think this is a great site.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
imported post

Hey BigWingD, the best part is you have a Wing and we are here if you need us! Life is good with the Wing in your hair!

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,651 Posts
imported post

BigWingD,

If my computer did not have a spelling checker, I would be in deep kimshee :(

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
imported post

I think that My Magic Fingers has a good point, and Plainmech has it wired. It is FAR too easy, on the Internet, to become "disconnected" and vent one's frustrations. I also think that there is a tendency to post things that are FAR too personal to belong in the public venue...

I'm trying to get a handle on this, myself. I LOVE sarcasm; most of my good friends know this, and know what I mean, so, there's nothing to forgive. But without context, or relationships, I've no doubt that things I say could be offensive, to some.

This is a great note. I try to re-read what I've written before I send it, and I rely more heavily on PM's now...the person I'm directing my wickedly funny sarcasm (says I) KNOWS what I mean.

I agree. We all could do with more civility. Just because I think your ideas suck doesn't mean I should say so....:cheeky1: Heck...if I do, you may return the favor, right? :cheeky1: Dang- I made light of yet ANOTHER serious note, with sarcasm...d*mn me, all to hell....:cooldevil:

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

i thought everyone was here so they could hang out with me?:baffled:

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
imported post

I am new here, and I like it a lot.

Leroy

21 - 40 of 88 Posts