Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

sorry hatchet...I came to hang with Dennis.

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
imported post

:waving:Thanks for putting up with me.
Being the 1st time I didn't know the problem would show up of lossing everything.
I will now copy anything before posting.
Web Shot can setup the pictures to go into the post without any headaches.
You can check out my other project as will as the Trike being build on my Webshot page below.

http://community.webshots.com/user/skip20

Have a good day & like this site, very active & helpful.

Skip20

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
imported post

With a family this large.... flare ups are bound to happen. It's just a part of being here. I tend to ignore those whose posts are inflammatory and skip over to those that are posting with information that I need or advice I can follow.

I was convinced this forum is the place to be when I went through my timing belt fiasco a few months ago. That one incident, along with all the support, advice, and encouragement I received from members, was enough to deflect and neutralize ANY negative or inflammatory postings from anyone.

I know if I were a diplomat we'd be at war 24/7... so I make a conscious effort to read and re-read my posts to make sure my words convey my thoughts, my questions are well thought out, and my answers succinct and to the point.

I, for one, have no problem with anyone that disagrees with me (my wife does all the time!) as long as they are willing to engage in thoughtful debate that's on the subject without resorting to base behavior.

Without this forum I would have thrown in the towel a long time ago and gotten rid of my 1200. But now, she runs like a top and I'm proud to be an owner and member of this prestigious family.

Thanks all!

·
Steve
441 Posts
imported post

I am on this site almost every day.I do alot more reading than posting,mostly in the tech forum. The knowledge I have learned here about goldwings is priceless. I repair everything I own by myself. When I got the bike ten years ago I bought a service manual from honda. This site makes the manual look like a sales brochure. 99.9% of every post I read is very helpful and positive. Do not let one in the crowd chase you away! I will go as far to say this is the BEST forum site.

:clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper:

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
imported post

I guess I missed most of the controversy. Although I am one of the single carb fooler arrounder guys I'm not much for car tires on a bike. I still enjoy seeing folks posts on it though. Some people have reasoned it out quite well.
Given some of the other recent cases of blatent disrespect in our society I'm glad to see you reccomending civility.

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
imported post

hairball wrote:
I am on this site almost every day.I do alot more reading than posting,mostly in the tech forum. The knowledge I have learned here about goldwings is priceless. I repair everything I own by myself. When I got the bike ten years ago I bought a service manual from honda. This site makes the manual look like a sales brochure. 99.9% of every post I read is very helpful and positive. Do not let one in the crowd chase you away! I will go as far to say this is the BEST forum site.

:clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper:
Glad to hear that you have learned so much about your Gold Wing from this message board.

But I will disagree with your comment about the Honda Service Manual looking like a "sales brochure".

I always purchase the Honda Service Manual and Electrical Troubleshooting Manual when purchasing a new Gold Wing. It is one of my best tools.

I have learned more about Gold Wing's from my Honda manuals than anywhere else (including message boards).

However, it is important to know how to use and understand manuals, particularly the electrical sections.

Many times folks ask questions when the answers are in their service manuals. All they need to do is just look them up....!

I participate with message boards for the sole purpose of helping others.

When I need help, I turn to my manuals which usually provides the answers I need.

This message is intended to be helpful and positive, please accept it as such.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
imported post

Personally I'm on this and other forums for all the stuff you don't pick up from a manual.

Someone who has just had a problem and solved it often knows instantly the best course to take for a repair. When there is a problem you have not seen before having several folks think about it a great help. WhenI was a mechanic a lot ofodd problems were found after a discussion at the lunch break.

All too often a manual assumes a level of competancy and training that, say, a Honda shop mechanic would have. The person who is a cabinet maker or retired accountant may enjoy the tinkering, but not start out with the skill level needed for the job. I have to think about the number of times I've seen a manual say "remove the rear wheel or something like that". It doesn't often tell you how to block it up, watch out for the spacers, or what to do with a frozen bolt or axle.

I learn a whole lot on these forums, I appreciate seeing how folks solve thier issues, and when faced with that issue myself I may then know the answer.

When I was a kid in the sticks up in Maine all I had was a manual and it often took me weeks to find a small problem. I really appreciate this forum and ones like it.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Hi Tim , I should move this into the miscl forum ,but as you bring up a very good point I will let it run here .

I know exactly what you are talking about ,but as humans we are all different and yet we are the same , We all have different breaking points and sometimes we can take things to heart that are not meant to be rude or abusive , it is difficult sometimes to intrepid a keyboard and if you were face to face with the person you were arguing with on the forum then it would be so much easier to understand what they MEANT to say .

Really the only subjects that get members at loggerheads with each other are ,Religion , Politics,Guns and yes single carbs and car tires on wings :)

We as mods do our best to take these threads out as soon as they start to go downhill ,but sometimes it is not always possible to get to them in time and a flaming row might start .

For the most part the members here are a great bunch of people and are willing to help at the drop of a hat ,We did have a member here very recently ,which I think you were referring to and his main goal on the forum was to upset other members ,He is no longer with us here and wont be again ,Sometimes it takes us time to sort out the deliberate trouble makers ,but eventually we boot them off the forum .

Life is too short and all any of us want to do is to ride our bikes and try our best to help each other in whatever way we can .

All you need is one bad apple to destroy a barrel full and as I said we try our best to weed out these bad apples BEFORE they do any damage ,

Ciaran

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
imported post

Cookie wrote:
Personally I'm on this and other forums for all the stuff you don't pick up from a manual.

Someone who has just had a problem and solved it often knows instantly the best course to take for a repair. When there is a problem you have not seen before having several folks think about it a great help. WhenI was a mechanic a lot ofodd problems were found after a discussion at the lunch break.

All too often a manual assumes a level of competancy and training that, say, a Honda shop mechanic would have. The person who is a cabinet maker or retired accountant may enjoy the tinkering, but not start out with the skill level needed for the job. I have to think about the number of times I've seen a manual say "remove the rear wheel or something like that". It doesn't often tell you how to block it up, watch out for the spacers, or what to do with a frozen bolt or axle.

I learn a whole lot on these forums, I appreciate seeing how folks solve thier issues, and when faced with that issue myself I may then know the answer.

When I was a kid in the sticks up in Maine all I had was a manual and it often took me weeks to find a small problem. I really appreciate this forum and ones like it.
What can I say, I have ridden and wrenched on Gold Wing's for thirty years. There is "not too much" I haven't came across in all those years.

·
Steve
441 Posts
imported post

DBoher I apoligize as I probably should not have called it a sales brochure. I have been a diesel mech all my life and manuals are great for specs and other info. But knowing the machines and experiencing the problems first hand you gain knowledge that the manual will never tell you. That's what makes this forum more powerful than just the manual alone.

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
imported post

The manuals are a valuable resource to be sure. They are, by definition however, technical manuals written for the shop mechanic... for lack of a better word the Honda expert. I, for one, am about as far away from being an expert as you can get.

Being relatively new to the Goldwing experience, I tend to lean towards the practical experiences lived out by the members of this forum. They have learned via trial and error, tried new things, and come up with ways to work on the bike that transcend the $100/hour mechanic.

All in all though.... a combination of manual and this forum should help even the most novice of Goldwinger attack and solve a problem with his bike.

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
imported post

I will give you all a little tip..............

When you purchase a new (or used vehicle), sit down and read the owners manual. You will learn things.

Then purchase a service manual, sit down and read through it. Yes, it will take some time but it will be time well spent.

Then when you have problems or want to do maintenance, you will have a jump start on diagnosing those problems. Hey, it's even ok to make side notes in the manual for future references..........!

Probably the least read things are "owners manuals" and "service manuals".

Ya know, folks never think about them until a problem occurs.

I have seen many questions asked (sometimes very simple questions) by folks. And the answers are right there in the "owners manual" or "service manual".

And with this, my last post on the subject.

Hope everyone has a great week...........Dave

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,323 Posts
imported post

Cookie wrote:

I'm with you 100% on this cookie. Having spent 22 years and a quarter million miles with this 'Wing, I've learned a few things that aren't in the book.

I do agree with D that several of the questions asked herecan be easily answered with a look in a manual, but most are here for the fellowship as much as the tech advise.

The only thing that really bothers me is when I see an on-line argument develop on a thread, it usually ends up being of no help to the person who started that thread to ask for help. I think there have been new members that are turned off by this and never came back. That's not good.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,631 Posts
imported post

Kit Carson comes to mind.

Stupid arguing drove him away, and we lost a good resource.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
imported post

wexy wrote:
Hi Tim , I should move this into the miscl forum ,but as you bring up a very good point I will let it run here .

I know exactly what you are talking about ,but as humans we are all different and yet we are the same , We all have different breaking points and sometimes we can take things to heart that are not meant to be rude or abusive , it is difficult sometimes to intrepid a  keyboard and if you were face to face with the person you were arguing with on the forum then it would be so much easier to understand what they MEANT to say .

Really the only subjects that get members at loggerheads with each other are ,Religion , Politics,Guns and yes single carbs and car tires on wings :)

We as mods do our best to take these threads out as soon as they start to go downhill ,but sometimes it is not always possible to get to them in time and a flaming row might start .

[

Ciaran
Sometimes, I think you guys jump in a little too quickly. We are (mostly) all adults and quite capable of self policing. I see this a lot of other forums of different subjects, and the mods get heavy handed start deleting posts and threads and it just leads to a pissed off membership. Not saying it's that bad here, not by a long shot.

I detest censorship. I HATE having something I've said be altered or deleted. If asked to I will always be willing to change my own post myself if it's too far out of line.

I've got myself a real dirty potty mouth. i cuss enough to make a sailor blush. So sometimes it bleeds through into my posts. Seems I have me very one personal language cop who does an incredible job of helping me curb the tongue, and I appreciate it a great deal. Sometimes though...the situation just calls for an expletive!

In any case I made much the same statements in a recent carb thread, I spoke of how i don't think some folks realize how they are coming across, how they don't realize how offensive of insulting they are being. That it isn't really intentional, they just aren't thinking about how their words will be received. Seems some of them paid attention, and some didn't.

I've always been one to treat people exactly according to the manner in which they carry themselves. If someone behaves like a self righteous pain int he butt I treat them like one. Carry yerself with dignity and I treat you accordingly.

I do not envy the mods their jobs at all.

But I do think that a little more leeway may be given iin certian situations. If someone has behaved like a braying donkey, I don't think it should be a problem if someone else tells em about it.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
imported post

I joined this site because people talk and share ideas. I just started riding again after a 25 year absense. I bought a used 1995 Goldwing . I am a little dissapointed that I didn't do some more research and get a bike with reverse and cruise, but having said that I just love to ride. The bike runs aposolutly great and looks even better. I joined other sites and all people do is bash one another. My item is better than yours, mine is faster, etc.....etc...Those people are never satisfied. We live in a world that competes against everyone and everything. You can get more joy out of helping someone else out than stepping on them.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,323 Posts
imported post

JimArmstrong1 wrote:
I joined other sites and all people do is bash one another. My item is better than yours, mine is faster, etc.....etc....
But mine is better, faster, gooder. :cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

I agree with you wholeheartedly Tim, andit was not this way two years ago.

And eventhough I still send Steve Money to keep this Site running , I have dirfted away from this site along with several other Steve Saunders members that I know and stay in touch with outside this site.

This site has become very cliquish and very quick to condem a member who rides or owns a Harley or knows something that they don't.It seems thatsome members believe that you have to agree with the clique or you are wrong and thats when they proceed to bash the poster... And the Ironic thing is that most of theirknowledge of Goldwings and Motorcycles in general comes from their delusion that being on this forum 24/7 and running your post numbers up with trival babble makes you an expert in the motorcycle field.

As an example, months ago a member asked what he could do to prolong the life of his " GL1200 " Stator. SoI contacted a friend of mine that I used to race with,who is an engineer with Honda " in Japan " and was on the Honda investigation team that researched 1200 stator failures. I posted his recomendations from Hondaand I was bashed by several newer members that said that I did not know what I was talking about !!! Mind you, I went out of my way and contacted a Honda Engineer I used to race with and knew first hand all about the 1200 failures and even after I said this recomendation was coming from Honda , Several members still kept the post going for days saying how I am wrong . I have made other post on Spark Plugs ,Oil , batteriesand have been bashed again and again,eventhough the information is comming from Honda and Harley racing and engineering.

I still have a great respect for the older members who have helped me time and time again, But I have pulled away from this site because I get toangry trying tohelp and getting bashed for doing so. and opposite of what you might think, Racers and engeeners of all motorcycleteams are friends andhave a great respect for each other , and it doesn't matter what bike you ride.
Take Care and Good Luck - Jim

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Well said, Jim....

41 - 60 of 88 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.