Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 88 Posts

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

No flaming intended here...
Without a factory Service Manual, what reference does one have to go on?

Trial and Error experience gained by yourselfor others? Opinion? Old Wives Tales (no offence to the women here)...Maybe just plain 'ol guessing. Don't forget common-sense... / ...These are ancillary and should have you diving into the Service Manual.

The value of the the Service Manual comes from those that have read it and have an understanding of it, and have generously passed-on the information culled and practices performed by using it to the members of this forum.

Lack of technical proficiency is probably the primary reasoning for much of the squabbling that goes on here...

Face it. What would you have done in 1977?
Answer: You would've found a manual... and then figured it out.
Technology makes many just plain 'ol lazy.

FREE Manuals:
http://goldwingdocs.com/index.asp

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

....some of us would be interested in what the Honda engineer had to say about the stator failures...

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
imported post

I followed that thread Jim and I din't see anyone giving you a hard time, I think you are seeing ghosts or something that isn't there. Dave just gave his opinionashe has the right to andthats noreason to think you arehard done by. It is IMHO a very good information thread;

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=72165&forum_id=4

The Harley bashing threads I have seen here were all done in a fun manner and as a Harley owner I feel welcome here. I don't seen any severe ranting about Harleys here and we all had to haveseen the reverse situation on other Biker boards.
Thats all part of why I like it here, there is far less of the bad posting that ruins other forums, it isn't tolerated here. I know I'm not teh only guy who has left other forums because they seem to leave bitchin posts, I guess to keep the posts counts up?

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
imported post

I love it when a plan comes together.

My original intent was to have people just think before they post. Also, I wanted people to start up a little dialog on this. I think that there was great input here.

I personally have no problems with people disagreeing with others and I kind of like a spirited conversation as well, though I am not a big arguer. I tend to “go with the flow”. I treat everyone with dignity and expect the same in return. I am here to help people (and get a little help myself) not be on the receiving end of blow-up.

Where I do have the problem is the verbal slap-in-the-face that some people give when they think they are “right” on something. Some of these are an all out assault. Some people think that when they degrade someone that it makes their argument or case stronger. Some people, for life and liberty, just can’t walk away if they discover they are wrong or their argument is not strong enough for the topic and then it goes to hell in a hand basket. They just have to get that one last “jab” in.

I am not saying that any of this has happen to me, just what I have seen around here in the last number of weeks. However, I am also very happy to say, and I am sure most would agree, things have gotten better around here since I posted this thread. Things have calmed down. My hats off to everyone! Arguments are down and happy is up!

I agree with the gentleman that indeed does live in Utopia (Jim Armstrong)… “your can get more joy out of helping someone else other than stepping on them.”

Thanks to all of you for your comments and input. Great things to digest over the next little bit.

As for the moderators… big shoes to fill. If the moderators want to move this, please go ahead. My experiment is over. Hahahaha

Thanks everyone…

Tim.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

Broke Winger wrote:
wexy wrote:
Hi Tim , I should move this into the miscl forum ,but as you bring up a very good point I will let it run here .

I know exactly what you are talking about ,but as humans we are all different and yet we are the same , We all have different breaking points and sometimes we can take things to heart that are not meant to be rude or abusive , it is difficult sometimes to intrepid a keyboard and if you were face to face with the person you were arguing with on the forum then it would be so much easier to understand what they MEANT to say .

Really the only subjects that get members at loggerheads with each other are ,Religion , Politics,Guns and yes single carbs and car tires on wings :)

We as mods do our best to take these threads out as soon as they start to go downhill ,but sometimes it is not always possible to get to them in time and a flaming row might start .

[

Ciaran
Sometimes, I think you guys jump in a little too quickly. We are (mostly) all adults and quite capable of self policing. I see this a lot of other forums of different subjects, and the mods get heavy handed start deleting posts and threads and it just leads to a pissed off membership. Not saying it's that bad here, not by a long shot.

I detest censorship. I HATE having something I've said be altered or deleted. If asked to I will always be willing to change my own post myself if it's too far out of line.

I've got myself a real dirty potty mouth. i cuss enough to make a sailor blush. So sometimes it bleeds through into my posts. Seems I have me very one personal language cop who does an incredible job of helping me curb the tongue, and I appreciate it a great deal. Sometimes though...the situation just calls for an expletive!

In any case I made much the same statements in a recent carb thread, I spoke of how i don't think some folks realize how they are coming across, how they don't realize how offensive of insulting they are being. That it isn't really intentional, they just aren't thinking about how their words will be received. Seems some of them paid attention, and some didn't.

I've always been one to treat people exactly according to the manner in which they carry themselves. If someone behaves like a self righteous pain int he butt I treat them like one. Carry yerself with dignity and I treat you accordingly.

I do not envy the mods their jobs at all.

But I do think that a little more leeway may be given iin certian situations. If someone has behaved like a braying donkey, I don't think it should be a problem if someone else tells em about it.
broke i agree with you almost completely, as far as being opinionated, foul mouthed, and giving whats due,and treating people accordingly with treatment, i'm with you, how ever i believe it can be handled better in pm and not on forum, if that doesn't work contact mods.[ that's what their paid for:cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil: ], just don't need all the crap in public. i would like again to add my thanks to the mods. and this great site. LETS WORK TOGETHER TO KEEP IT THIS WAY. jmho:waving:

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

BenMilner wrote:
I followed that thread Jim and I din't see anyone giving you a hard time, I think you are seeing ghosts or something that isn't there. Dave just gave his opinionashe has the right to andthats noreason to think you arehard done by. It is IMHO a very good information thread;

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=72165&forum_id=4

The Harley bashing threads I have seen here were all done in a fun manner. I don't seen any severe ranting about Harleys here and we all had to haveseen the reverse situation on other Biker boards.
Thats all part of why I like it here, there is far less of the bad posting that ruins other forums, it isn't tolerated here. I know I'm not teh only guy who has left other forums because they seem to leave bitchin posts, I guess to keep the posts counts up?

Hello BenMilner,

I truly did not want to get back into a discussion on this , But I was not talking about Dave. I have to Commend Dave for posting Man to Man and giving his opinion.

The Harley bashing got so bad that Steve Saunders had to get involved andno my feelings did not get hurt, I and other Harley/Honda ownerswere getting very angry and leaving because certain members thought it was the thing to do, Bash a Harley anddisrespect other members...
Like I said I did not want to get into this, But I was getting hammered on my personel E-mail and company e-mail and on my personel phone about defending Harley andgiving bad advice ( which came from Honda and was not bad ). By twoball less low lifes who were so brave when they thought they could hide behind emails and phone calls and their distance from my home in Washington state. Little did they know how crazy I can get when someonemakes threats against myhome and family and myself,and then hides behind an Email or Phone. I did a reverse lookup on the threatening phone calls and the email's who called my family andmyselfeverything under the sun... The one guy lived half way across the country, So I sent him an e-mail, With his name and address and a google street photo of his housewith his pretty corvette in the drive way, and he got scared as hell and wrote me a long apology e-mail.

The other Idiot lived one state over and almost crapped his pants when Three Harleys pulled up in his driveway. TheIronic thing is he wanted to be my best friend whenI told himwho I was and asked him to make good on his Threats... Needless to say he cowered like a little girl saying that the threats were allin good humor...It's not a joke when someone Threatens you , your homeand your family ... No Body should be Threatended, No body!

But when it's because they don't agree with you on a Forum or what you ride. and Harley was arunning themein the e-mails... So Ben, Harley Bashingis not always done in a fun manner !

Like I said I did not want to get into this again and I have made many friends here who know me on a personal level and come by to fix their bikes andhave a beer or soda.

But this site has become very bitter and personal. And being an Ex. Gang
memberwho has a career and a buisness andnowteaches kids how to stay out of the gangs and pursue a career and build bikes, I don't need any cowards hiding behind their Keyboardsthinking they can threaten anyone they please!

Take it for what it is and I can never Thank the guy's enoughwho helped me. and I still enjoy reading the site and respect the members and Steve Saunders who seems to be a stand up guy, But Tim is right this site has changed. and I am sitting back for awhile. Take Care and Good Luck - Jim

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,326 Posts
imported post

Gees, Tim...look what you've done.

Next time I want to start an argument, I'm coming to you for advice. ;)

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

These extracts from the forum rules (always available by clicking the "Forum HELP" link in the Menu) sum it up;

No flaming or abusive posts please, or foul language in your posts either. No inflammatory, racial, political or other content that might offend your fellow forum members. Trolls and flamers are not tolerated here and will be banned. Have a bit of respect for other forum users.

It pays to actually read your posts before clicking the "send" button. No-one likes abusive posters, the best bet is to either ignore or report them to the Moderators or Administrators with a Private Message. The Administrator and Moderator contact links are at the top of each forum. If you have a bone to pick with a particular member, please use the Private Messaging (PM) facility to do it with them in a civil manner instead of posting it publicly on the forum. Abusive posts/threads will just be deleted as they serve no useful purpose to the rest of the members.

About moderating. The Moderators and Admins can't always quickly get to all bad posts, we can only do our best. Moderators are not experts (we can't find any moderating schools to help us;)), they aremembers like youwho volunteer to give up large amounts oftheir time to help keep the forum clean and people like that are hard to find.
The last timeI asked for volunteers to moderate, I wasn't exactly inundated with offers. The next time we look for a moderator, anyone who thinks they can do it better is very welcome to offer and I am always happy to hear from you. :waving:

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
imported post

jk-1, that was a very informative thread.

It really comes down to respecting the experience of the poster. I don't have a 1200 but I was a motorcycle mechanic for 30 years and I have come across this before on other makes. We are riding and repairing, in many cases, 20 and 30 year old motorcycles and we need all the help we can get.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

WHAT no mod school, no wonder:cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil:, suppose they only get min. wage[ hopefully in euros:cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil: ] oh they VOLUNTEER, so ANYONE who figures they could do better????? thanks guys:action::waving::clapper:eek:h and steve:waving:

·
Premium Member
20,620 Posts
imported post

wingnut wrote:
(we can't find any moderating schools to help us;))

I stayed at a Holiday Inn Select last night.......does that count??:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

It is a joke, hopefully you have seen the TV commercial.....:D

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

Flyone wrote:
wingnut wrote:
(we can't find any moderating schools to help us;))

I stayed at a Holiday Inn Select last night.......does that count??:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

It is a joke, hopefully you have seen the TV commercial.....:D
:D:D that's not funny :D:D:D. yeah it is:cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cheeky1::dude::waving:

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
imported post

I look at it this way, if you go to a cycle shop and ask them the same question that you would ask on here you would get the same responses. I ask questions that I would like to know the answeres to and if someone gives me a smart a$$ answer then they didn't know the answer to my question anyway. I try to thank anyone that gives helpful advice and forget anyone that doesn't. I too am guilty of some of the above statements and will try to behave myself. But what can I say I am just a caveman.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,651 Posts
imported post

A comment on moving the thread.

I think it is exactly where it needs to be, and I do believe that it should stay right here, in the Technical Forum.

Why? Because nothing else seems to stir up a fire quicker than opinions on the best or "only way" that something can be fixed. Or diagnosed.

Respectfully yours,

A Highly Over Paid civil servant.
:coollep:

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
imported post

Why has'nt anybody posted a link to the Aretha Franklin song ? :?

Seriously, Thanks to all who try to keep this place friendly :bowing:

And to the members who post technical videos,links,etc...And to the members who help one another...and to those who entertain us...

Heck, Thanks to all the members on here... ( don't want to leave anybody out ) :waving:

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
imported post

I would like to chime in and say we desperately need moderators to keep order in this place. For someone who cusses I have no problem with that I think to each is own, but I have a serious problem with making everyone else have to read or here it. One might say "well don't read it" but we know that is impossible because your reading along and you've read it before you even relized it. I advise one who dosn't like moderation to start a forum that dosn't allow moderation and you can have all the cursing and vulgarity you want and those who don't want it don't have to go to it those who do can join and love it. Hats off to the moderators

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

Not that I am an authority in communication, but, in an study of online college classes, communication online changes from communication in person. Online, much communication is lost because emotion is not reflected in the message via facial expressions and tone defelctions in the voice, and the sender sometimes abreviates the message. There is a lot of room for people to assume the emotions behind an online message. I learned to try to express my statemnts in a positive manner and not assume too much in messages received.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
imported post

My father tought me a few things that I will never forget, if you don't have something good to say to your fellow man then don't say anything at all.
Always try and praise your fellow man for good things will come upon you for it.
Share your message in an effective way that will bring good results to your fellow man.
Making someone look stupid only makes you look stupid.

I try and practice what my father has tought me over the years and I must say it works, I never have to look for work because of it.

R.I.P. Dad, I greatly miss you,even though it's been 12 long years I'm still broken hearted that you are gone.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

VERY WELL SAID often hard to do but an outstanding goal:clapper::clapper::clapper::toast::action::waving:

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
imported post

CWizard, You have said what I have been trying to post. As some may know I have been in the discussion about the Single Carb Issueswhere view points did have to be moderated. I also told my story to try to help reasons of owning one. I know and understand issues of "for and against". ButI tried to also explain in a round about way to give an opinion in a constructive waybecause adestructive way only hurts. I was only hoping those involved doing harm to the posts were reading between the lines. I have always been one to "agree to disagree". On any GoldWing site I go to learn and to receive information especially if I don't understand it from the Manuel. Life is too short and like C-Wizard I miss my Dad very much also, who would listen to me when no else would and then gave his opinion if I asked. Never degrading when giving it, even though I might not have agreed with what he had to say but we always left each other as " FRIENDS". ;):waving:Bob

61 - 80 of 88 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.