Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well its been two months but today was the day. Never thought it would get here but it did arrive. Two months ago I picked up an 81wing. Engine siezed, brakes locked up and rusted, and looking like it never in its life had a cleaning. For 200 bucks I had to take a chance. The first problem was to get the engine to turn over. After two bottles of MMO,several days and a new battery we got her to turn over. Major relief for me. The next problem was carbs that had sat for 7 years and were never winterized. Thanks to the many of you who replied to my sometimes silly questions. Thanks to Randakks carb rebuild kit and several days the carbs were rebuilt. I also incorparated the technique of baking soda blasting and polishing parts which I located in this forum. The carbs look great and am proud to say they worked well as this ol girl started up today.Now i gotta admit when she started I was a little freeked as all that MMO in the cylinders smoked like there was no tomorrow. I was sure if the bike was on fire or what but after a few minutes she cleared up. Wife got home at 5 and couldnt wait to hear her run. Big smiles from her. That alone was worth a million. I think her responce was " honey you absolutly amaze me" Once again worth a million. Well I still have lots to do on her, timing belts, brakes, oil changes, radiator flushes but just to hear her run today was awsome.

Thanks for everyones input and help.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
imported post

Congrats on your success. By the way, before/during/after pics are always enjoyed and appreciated.

Not meaning to hijack your thread but it must be a successful kind of day. I've got a 77 Yamaha XS 750 that I just threw a motor into (the old one didn't take kindly to running out of oil). Little fresh gas, little choke and she sounded pretty good. Now some cleaning and fixing a few things and I'll put it up for sale.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

Grats! glad to hear you got the old girl going... The day you have it all finish will be the day you can say I did it and feel good about it..I went through the same thing.. Great job

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Way to go. I just got my '85LTD going again today after being down for over 3 weeks with fuel injection problems. I still have other stuff to do as well, but feel better about it now that the engine is running so good. I was really starting to get frustrated with it.

Keep the old stuff on the road!!! Vintage forever!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.