Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I thought it was 6 months but it appears to have been 12 months! FInally got all my fresh painted panels on, badges and my recovered seat and new markland back rest. Took her out for a little spin and all appears well.

Looking to take her through Europe on a 16day adventure including Belgium, France, Germany, Austria, Italy, back into France, Spain and finally back to blighty! Hope you enjoy the pictures and it encourages others to get on with the projects in the garage! If I can take a non runner, rebuild carbs, rebuild all shocks with progressive springs and new seals, replace coils, HT leads, Ignitors etc etc anyone can!!!!!

1970 Triumph T100 next!

Attachments

·
Administrator
24,845 Posts
Excellent work. Looks great.

·
Average Goldwing Rider
1,042 Posts
Nice looking bike. The 80-81 are my favorite years. Watch the rear tire pressure. The 130/90 18 tires can easily be overloaded, especially when riding two up. Honda says up to 200# load 32 PSI at load capacity 40 PSI.

The vehicle load capacity is 375 pounds and that is gross weight of 1175 pounds (owners manual). Tires vary in the load capacity. Most 130/90 18 rear tires do not have this much capacity.

Heat is the enemy and a lower pressure will build up more heat. When I'm loaded and in the hot areas I will run up to 45 PSI when measured cold. Rear tire failure due to heat was an issue on the early Interstates.

Newer, more modern tires are better, but they still can be overloaded without exceeding the bike's design load.

It may show the maximum load on the side of the tires. In the US it is a requirement.

Add the front and rear, together they should be more than 1175. I'm interested to see what you find out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts