Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Senior Memory
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I bought a 1984Femco POD fiberglass trailer. I then completly tore it down and referbed it to match my 2012 GL1800. I still have to finish the fender install as well as the side marker lights that will be mounted under the cooler rack. I also need to mount the license plate holder. All the hardware and Teak Wood strips are original except I replaced the old Hot Bulb lights with new LED lights. Take a look at the befor and after photos!

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Opinions and Comments welcome!

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,188 Posts
imported post

nice job!

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
imported post

You obviously took a lot of time and detailed it out very nicely! You do great work!

It's interesting that the original manufacturer used mainly boat hardware such as the handrail parts and the teak strips, and hinges. I think that was a great idea and those parts are easily sourced if you need to replace something.

I need to get a trailer build going here. I am envious....

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Good job!!, Trailer looks great!

Im with Poolguy, I gotta get one started here pretty soon. I wish I could weld and had a nice welder. Looked into it before but just couldn't weld worth a darn. So Im stuck with Harbor freight and a roof top carrier. HF Trailer not so bad, just don't like the looks of the roof top Carriers.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
imported post

Morning, First I want to say you did a great job. I noticed on the tag it says Minocqua, WI. I live a short distance from there. Is that were the trailer came from? Also I'd like to know how you matched the color so closely? I have a trailer thats red now and have just bought the blue 2012 so I will need to re-paint this winter. Thanks in advance and happy trails to you.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
imported post

Very nice! I see you have a cooler rack on the tongue... what do you intend to mount up front on top of the trailer between those rails?

·
Senior Memory
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks Wilkoi & Poolguy! Yea I thoughtabout maybe replacing some of the rails with something more modern but by the time I do all that then I may as well buy a new trailer. So I just kept the original ornaments.

·
Senior Memory
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

jaxn wrote:
Morning, First I want to say you did a great job. I noticed on the tag it says Minocqua, WI. I live a short distance from there. Is that were the trailer came from? Also I'd like to know how you matched the color so closely? I have a trailer thats red now and have just bought the blue 2012 so I will need to re-paint this winter. Thanks in advance and happy trails to you.

Thanks! As for the tag... The guy I bought the trailer from lived there and hd a summer home in Fort Mill, SC. They didnt require a trailer tag in SC so he made that one.

The real Honda paint was a 3 part process that cost over $165 a pint to use. I ruled that out and used a paint chip book from Subaru to get a close match. It turned out to be very close but it has slightly less metal flake than the Honda paint.

I will try to get he Subaru paint code for you tomorrow when I get home. I am on a 24 hour shift and have to work my part time in the morning s it might be late tomorrow afternoon.

·
Senior Memory
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

jobe05 wrote:
Good job!!, Trailer looks great!

Im with Poolguy, I gotta get one started here pretty soon. I wish I could weld and had a nice welder. Looked into it before but just couldn't weld worth a darn. So Im stuck with Harbor freight and a roof top carrier. HF Trailer not so bad, just don't like the looks of the roof top Carriers.
Thanks Jobe05

I have a friend tha ued the Northern Tools trailer frame and a cartop carrier.  He had it pained to match his bike and add nice LEDs to it and a swivel hitch.  It changed the whole look ofthe trailer and looks great!  amazing what some paint will do.

And most of all he get it done for less than half what a custom low end trailer cost.

As for the welding.... I Suck at welding.  But for non structural items I weld heavy then grind off the messy stuff and no one knows.   I justhave a 120 volt wire welder and it does a great job on most things I work on.  It was less than $300.00 and it can use flux core wire or solid wire and Gas.

·
Senior Memory
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Daryl Martel wrote:
Very nice! I see you have a cooler rack on the tongue... what do you intend to mount up front on top of the trailer between those rails?
THanks Daryl,

I really dont think I ill use that rack up top much but it will be for very lite bags maybe for jackets to switch into when we stop at tourist traps and such. That way we wont have toopenup the trailer just for a jacket. I dont want to add more weight to the front than I have too. Even the cooler is a lighter type so I can keep it to a minimum.

If you notice in the before photos, one of the rails was attached to the rear of the lid. That made no sense to me so I filled the holes and moved it just forward of the hinges to make a smaller more complete rack. It is far enough forward that it does not get in the way of the lid opening to its full open position.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
imported post

I'm kind of in the same boat as I bought an old '84 Cycle-Mate trailer. It's in good shape overall, but needs some TLC too. It has rails for storage on the top lid, but the fibreglass is pretty thin, so without reinforcing it I'd be leery of putting much weight up there. You really did a nice job on that trailer. Sure is streamlined!

·
Senior Memory
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Daryl Martel wrote:
I'm kind of in the same boat as I bought an old '84 Cycle-Mate trailer. It's in good shape overall, but needs some TLC too. It has rails for storage on the top lid, but the fibreglass is pretty thin, so without reinforcing it I'd be leery of putting much weight up there. You really did a nice job on that trailer. Sure is streamlined!
Yea, I am OK with a soft bag up there with light weight iems. There is enough room inside I really shouldnt need to put anything up there but if I need it it is ready. The top is fairly thick fiberglass but it is old so I will use caution.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

Pretty cool!

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

Nice work on the refurbishing . I am sure it will give you many miles of use now .

·
Senior Memory
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

OnaWingandaPrayer wrote:
Nice work on the refurbishing . I am sure it will give you many miles of use now .
Thanks Mike. I sure hope it last a while with all the work that went into it.

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
imported post

That is a great looking trailer. The back end profile really seems to go well with the 2012 rear end.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.