Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, after the success last year with my 1980 restoration I was on the lookout for the much improved 1983 model and managed to find this one for £530 ($700). It will require a ground up restoration but after doing the 1980 I am pretty confident to attack it. Main issue is wires removed all over bike as headlamp off, indicators, tail lamp etc. Anyway I have taken spark plugs out, rotated engine and it moves freely, I have fitted new battery and when I press start button nothing happens but I do see the neutral light dimm so I know something is happening. Any advice from you gurus of where I should be checking for power? Fuses etc? I only want to spin engine for a compression test as bke has 49,000miles and I want to deduce if I only really need a cosmetic rebuild (frame powder coating, panels, wheels etc)

The bike unfortunately was kept in a shed with a leaky roof so cosmetically it is dog rough! First image is of the 1980 I restored

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
looks like the '83 is ready to ride :ROFLMAO:

that is quite the project you have there, but any can be done if you have the time/patience to do it.

the 1st pix, wow! beautiful.

·
Administrator
26,539 Posts
Check the battery ground connection behind the left upper engine mount, probably corroded. if not try jumpering directly to the starter.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great Idea, I will just jump 12v to the starter to see if it will move. I have been having a look and found this below, the fuse box is not even wired up it looks like its just been cut! Need to find out where I wire the ositive to and where the negative goes.

·
Administrator
26,539 Posts
Don't worry about the fuse box, no power to the start system goes through it. Those terminals on the right are for accessories.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Dave0430, I jumped from positive side of solonoid to the starter and she turns, solonoid is not even clicking but the material condition of it I am not surprised, new one on order so I can hopefully do a compression test this week before a tear down.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts