Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:action:Well, I got started on the trike trailer this week.All I salvaged was the axle, springs, hubs and some metal. New bearings/races took care of the hubs, plasma cutter made easy work of teardown of the frame. I am undecided on which cartop carrier I'm gonna use.Has to be at least 36" wide, so my choices are limited.I'm considering building a retro "teardrop" trailer out of mahogany and spruce.Really leaning towards the teardrop, as they remind me of old west coast woodies. Anyway, I'll post more as it comes along. jimsjinx:waving:

Attachments

·
Registered
371 Posts
imported post

I used a big Yakima roof top carrier. It's a nice box, but really long. I wish I had used a Sears Sport 20-SV.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

I have a HF trailer w/ 12 inch tires.I was thinking about a Thule, but I think the Sears Sport 20-SV is the best looking carrier.

I presently abandoned the idea of a top carrier, and I am now thinking about making one out of sheet metal. I have my sketches, and I made a full size model out of cardboard box and tape to get a physical representation of the size.

I found out that sheetmetal and diamond plate would be pretty expensive. Hell, I do not know what I am doing.... now, I have this crazy idea about using a washer/dryer shell as a sheet metal project. Too much thinking but I have all winter.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I think a tear drop trailer would look great behind a trike.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks Exavid, I really want to do the teardrop, but I know to do it right would be $$$ in good materials, and the time involved! But it sure would be a conversation starter!This Sears model you guys are talkin bout, does anyone have a pic? All I found at Sears was the Thule sidekick, and it's too narrow for my frame. Stay warm guys! Hey, a little info for everyone using HF trailers, beware of the factory bearings and races, they used some pretty junky ones in a few runs of the light duty models.The trailer guy,(35 yrs. exp.), told me to keep an eye on em.Said alot of them fail, and replacement is around $12.00 for both sides to relpace with Timken(sp?) bearings and races.I had no choice, cause mine were sloppy and water had leaked by the jap seals.I did notice a BIG difference in quality and fit of the new ones. jimsjinx

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

One precaution I always take when towing a trailer is checking the wheel hub temperature every time I stop. You can do it with a cautious hand on the hub or get fancy as I have nowadays with a non-contact IR thermometer. A bearing that's going bad will heat up long before it fails, so if you find one getting warmer than the other(s) it's telling you of an imminent failure. A slight difference might just indicate the sun on one side of the trailer but you can test that by feeling metal on both sides of the trailer to see if there's a difference. I always carry a spare set of wheel bearings for any trailer I tow (except for rentals) because you'll see nearly as many trailers parked on the side of the road due to bearing failure as from tire failure.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93983

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,653 Posts
imported post

Get it for half price here

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/fuo/919952645.html

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/915639800.html

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/for/907401194.html

$60 http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/pts/907315296.html
and still available per the ad.

and that is just in Phoenix. 3 of them for sale.

Don't know about other parts of the country, but the Phoenix metro area is a goldmine for just about anything you want. Especially the last few weeks. With the sour economy, anything you can think of is showing up on craigslist.

The smaller outlying towns have slimmer pickings of course, but if you are near a large population area.... I think you can find what you want if willing to sit and wait and watch every day.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Hey John! Thanks for those links.Got me goin to local craigslist. Hey, I never got a call,hope all is well. Jim

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Jim, did you check much on tires. Looks like you have 12" there, would bigger be better or am I thinking wrong? I had a trailer with small tires, I was always having to repack, seems everything was just so much smaller it needed that much more attention. You think maybe bigger would take less maintenance?

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

My wheels,I believe, are 8", and I intend on going 10" or 12" for those very reasons. My wife was the top sales person for Colman trailers in Az. (Little Dealer), and was well schooled in tire sizes and the different RPM's of small vs larger tires.Bearings take a beating at higher speeds if they run dry. I went "overkill" on bearings and races for those reasons as well.

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
One precaution I always take when towing a trailer is checking the wheel hub temperature every time I stop. You can do it with a cautious hand on the hub or get fancy as I have nowadays with a non-contact IR thermometer. A bearing that's going bad will heat up long before it fails, so if you find one getting warmer than the other(s) it's telling you of an imminent failure. A slight difference might just indicate the sun on one side of the trailer but you can test that by feeling metal on both sides of the trailer to see if there's a difference. I always carry a spare set of wheel bearings for any trailer I tow (except for rentals) because you'll see nearly as many trailers parked on the side of the road due to bearing failure as from tire failure.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93983
I have that exact thermometer. And I bought it and used it for my trailer trip to NY.I checked my tire and bearing temps at every stop. I was surprised at how cool they actually ran, even in the hot weather.

The only thing I discovered about that particular thermometer is that it is a 1:1 ratio so you have to get close to get an accurate reading.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Yeah, I actually use the pistol grip one they sell at a bit higher price, it has a narrower 6:1 acceptance angle.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Where did you get the pistol grip one?

·
Just one of the guys
4,799 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Thanks, think I'll be having me a ride today.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
SpiderBob wrote:
Where did you get the pistol grip one?
I got it at HF. They have a better onenow for about the same price.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96451
I have that one and love it...

One point to remember when using these devices is that they are not a point measurement (as the nice laser pointer might imply)... exavid mentioned it, but it needs emphasizing... for example, at about 6 inches distance, it is looking at about a 1 inch circle... at 12 inch distance it is looking at a 2 inch circle..

I have technicians at work (who are fooled.. and also lazy) who will "shoot" a temperature at 10 feet and think they are reading the temperature at the laser point... not so... they are getting some sort of average over about a 2 foot diameter circle at that distance...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.