Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The more Iincrease the valve adjustment, the better this bike idles( to a point of coarse). I have replaced head gaskets, belts, rebuilt the carbs, confirmed the valves are not bent but i am still getting both intake and exhaust valves staying open too long. How do I confirm the heads and cams are original? This is an auction purchase that sat for 10 years.The last issue is poor idle and odd compression. I suspect the wrong heads or cams have been installed. How can I confirm this?

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
imported post

How do you know they are staying open too long? The only adjustment is clearance. Duration is determined by changing the cam, are there performance cams available for this bike?

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
imported post

I would pull the timing belt covers and check the timing marks first. Stop cranking down on the valves. While your in there you definatley want to replace the belts after it sat that long.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
imported post

dcassibo wrote:
How do you know they are staying open too long? The only adjustment is clearance. Duration is determined by changing the cam, are there performance cams available for this bike?
Taking away the clearance also changes to duration with zero clearence the valves are opening sooner and it also changes lift measurements.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

ttheobald wrote:
I suspect the wrong heads or cams have been installed. How can I confirm this?
That would not be easy. The heads will have lot numbers on them but I don't know of a reference that will tell you what year they were for. I'd also doubt that they would be your problem if everything lines up and they don't leak. As far as checking the cams that would require measurement of the position of the lobes and their duration and then comparing them to the engine specs. I don't really know how to check this but can e-mail you what the Honda manual has for cam timing, lift and duration. Send me a PM if you want this.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
imported post

I'm assuming when you're adjusting, you're "loosening" the adjustment screw on the rocker arm? Can you loosen it enough so that the valve is seated and the rocker arm moves freely? (The valves close completely) I'm assuming that since it runs they do. Intake clearance 0.004"/0.10mm exhaust 0.005"0.13mm

Exhaust lobe should be no less than 1.44" (36.6mm) tall and the intake lobe no less than 1.45" (36.8mm) tall. That's the service limit so you could see if your cam lobes are significantly taller which would mean they're the wrong cams. The common service manual only lists one set of specs for the cams so I'm assuming that they're pretty similar.

J-

·
It aint rocket science
3,924 Posts
imported post

I have never heard or thought to change valve clearances to anything other than spec.:ShakeHead:

JD

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.