Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Friday I lucked into an '84 with 48K miles. The bike appears complete except for the right hand dash/cubby hole cover. She was last registered in '08, and she has spent much of that time out in the weather unfortunately. so I've been working my way through it to see if I can bring her back to life.

Been hanging around the forum since last Friday, picking up a ton of great info from y'all. Great forum; thanks for all of the help and inside info!

(I tried inserting a pic here, but could not get it to take.)

1. I pulled the plugs -- they looked fine.
  2. Fluids were at proper levels and also looked fine.
  3. Brake calipers were a bit stuck; penetrating oil and mild prying loosened them right up.
  4. The throttle and choke were quite stiff, so I lubed up all of the mechanicals and worked them until they moved smoothly and through their full range.
  5. The motor would not turn when I rocked the bike while in gear, so I shot some penetrating oil into each cylinder and left it sit overnight. The next day, the motor rolled just fine when I rocked it again.
  6. Had to get a key made, as the bike did not come with one. Took the gas cap cover lock cylinder to a locksmith and had one made in 5 minutes for $15. Worked perfectly.
  7. The tank did not appear rusty, and the gas still smelled like gas. Rather than pull the tank, I disconnected the fuel lines from the carbs, jumped the connector to the fuel pump and pumped out the stale fuel (about 2 gallons). Worked like a charm, and sure beat the hell out of removing the tank!
  8. Dumped a whole can of Seafoam into the tank, re-attached the fuel lines to the carbs and ran the fuel pump while working the throttle and choke -- hoping to get some Seafoam into the carbs and avoid a rebuild & re-synch. I let that all sit overnight.
  9. Pulled the air filter in case she needed a squirt or two of starter fluid for encouragement.
  10. Installed a good battery from another one of my bikes. Everything lit up when I turned to key on -- lights all seem to work OK.
  11. Hit the starter button and spun the motor sans spark plugs to make sure the starter worked and the engine rolled freely. This also would get some oil moving.
  12. Installed plugs, added a gallon of gas to the Seafoam and hit the starter button again a few times, but she did not fire. Hit with starter fluid and she lit right up! After a few sputters and pops, she leveled right out and purred like a kitten.
  13. I let her run up to temp to make sure the thermostat worked and the fan came on at the right time; it did.

Looks like I may have an exhaust leak on the port side -- easy enough to handle. Also looks like I have a minor coolant leak from the reservoir.
I ran her up and down the street and through the gears; no problems. Brakes also worked fine.

On the to-do list now that I know she's a runner:

• Fluid changes
  • Filters
  • Belts
  • New battery all her own
  • Clean mild pitting off of forks to preserve seals
  • Re-solder the stator wire connections (previous owner did kind of a hack job removing that crappy factory connector that causes so many problems).

My youngest daughter gets home from college in 2 weeks, so we're going to make this our summer project together, including a new seat cover, paint, polish, radio, intercom, etc. Should be the big fun!

If there's anything I'm missing from my list, please feel free to let me know. This is my first Wing, but my fourth Honda.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Welcome from North Dakota

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from Pacific Northwest.
I would seriously consider Timing Belts and while there, check the Water pump.
Pretty easy job while you are changing fluids and for safety/longevity a good bit of assurance.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Welcome to the best forum anywhere... I salute you from Texas! Saa-lute!

Sheesh... some folks have all the luck...

You got that bike... and I got THIS!

None the less, good luck and change those timing belts... don't wait, do it NOW!

If you need help... ask... there are many here qualified to help.

T

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome & the advice, guys! The belts will be done this weekend along with the water pump.

us385south, your bike looks almost identical to mine in color & condition! Hope you got a good deal on her. Looks like you've made some great progress.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Thanks for the warm welcome & the advice, guys! The belts will be done this weekend along with the water pump.

us385south, your bike looks almost identical to mine in color & condition! Hope you got a good deal on her. Looks like you've made some great progress.
Post pics or it didn't happen! :raspberry:

·
Registered
29 Posts

Congrats, here's a pic of the water pump job I just did also.
Worst part was scraping all the old gasket off.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Hey maaaaan... I know dat bike....

T

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I now have a free-spinning starter that will catch and turn the motor every six to eight attempts. I read Seafoam in the oil to clean up the sprague clutch goo is the solution for this trouble most of the time. I'll let y'all know how it shakes out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Holy Crap! Just got back from Kalifornia DMV; waited nearly 3 hours to find out it will take $693 to bring this bike to current registration (hasn't been registered since 2008). Couple that with $300 purchase + another ~$200 to bring maintenance up to snuff (not to mention cosmetic work later), and I think I'm past the inherent value of this old girl.

Still weighing my options, but I may be forced by the government to part out a complete, running bike. So instead of getting some reasonable fees for an old bike (not to mention future registration fees), they will likely get nothing at all. Brilliant!

What a stupid place to live. Can't wait to get out of here! Three more years...

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Tag it in the USA (out of state of Califirnia) Then Tag it in Cal. if need be. If you do it in NV you will have to bring it with you so DMV can check the Vin #.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tag it in the USA (out of state of Califirnia) Then Tag it in Cal. if need be. If you do it in NV you will have to bring it with you so DMV can check the Vin #.
Yeah, that's one of my options. Oregon has a rule that if the vehicle is going to reside in state for an out-of-stater's personal use mainly in OR, then it can be registered there. I have a buddy up that way who might help me out. I figure a year or so of that, and I can move it back to CA registration.

I'm also thinking of looking for a cheap donor frame that I can register and then swap everything over. Another potential option is declare it a total loss and start over with a salvage registration/title. Not sure if that would work, though. I don't really care about the salvage label, as the bike is not that valuable anyway.

Thanks for the thought, Marcus. Are you volunteering to help out? LOL! ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for that link, rgbeard. May give that route a try. Anybody done this through these guys in South Dakota?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
New Seat Cover

So I've decided to register this thing one way or another. Haven't decided which route I'm going to take yet.

Meanwhile, I bought some vinyl and got out the wife's sewing machine to make a new seat cover. The seat I'm working with is a Corbin, so I really want to salvage it. The foam is still good, but the cover is completely shot. I'm still not sure how good a bike this is, so I'm keeping the costs down for the moment. I will probably have an upholstery shop do this up right sometime down the road if the bike works out.

I disassembled the tattered original vinyl and used it as a pattern for the new one. I just finished it up tonight. Here is the view from the underside.

And a view of it mocked on the pan and foam. It's a little rotated at the moment...

I still need to drill out the factory Corbin rivets, contact glue the seats into place on the foam, and stretch it. I'll use silicone spray to slip the vinyl over the foam edges easily. I'll post pix of the final product in a couple of days.

The seat backs are OK to use for now while I shake this bike out.

Total cost so far for materials: ~$30. About 2.5 hours time invested.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.