Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

It gets mighty hot down here in Florida in the summer and when you get stuck in traffic and the radiator fan is blowing back it is almost unbearable.

I was thinking ofwiring in a switch on my 1100 that would reverse the fan to blow out front when you are stuck in traffic for to long , Then you can flip the switch and reverse it again when you get moving (if you remember). I imagine it would cancel out the airflow and cause you to overheat if you left it reversed.

I can't think of any way to automatically reverse it when you are running below a certain speed unless they make some sort of a centrifugal switch that you could attach to the speedometer or maybe one of those magnetic speedometer sensors that I see on bicycles?

Any ideas?

Peter

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
imported post

Some sort of cam on the throttle with a microswitch?

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
imported post

Unfortunately you can't reverse the rotation of the fan motor. Even though it is a DC motor, it is not as simple as just reversing the wires. I recall Exavid doing a post on this topic a few months ago and that was the conclusion he came to.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Traffic, traffic in Florida?:shock: I didn't think you allowed enough people to have traffic.:dude:

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

I have the 1800 and it sucks the air in through the radiators and blows it out into the opening just behind the front tire. I would really love to reverse the fans on mine because when I am stuck in traffic or going slow <20 the bike starts to heat up.

We were stuck in traffic around Chicago a couple of years ago. The temperature was 92 degrees and the wing overheated so I had to pull over under an overpass and let it cool off.

If the fans didn't have to fight the incoming air it would cool better. Just be careful of what you ask for...Honda has already given it to the 1800 owners and I don't consider it an improvement.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

I converted my dressed 1000 to a John Deere fan that is reversable. I also moved it to the front of the radiator. It draws less power than the stock fan and it moves more air then the stock fan. Reversable on demand might work but if moving at all the effect would be seriously negated by forced air. The other side of this is that a backweards airflow would be drawing the air past the hot engine through the Rad and I think cooling effeciency would drop considerably??.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

IMHO i would not mess with it, the bike is designed to work like that and such modifications are not needed, down here in mexico. when the weather can get as hot as almost 50c, my bike and a friends 1100interstate wont pass 70% of the temp meter at our really stuck traffic on our small avenues.
if your bike is overheating then you should start looking for the cause. sticky thermostat, bad antifreeze, clogged rad, bad thermoswitch. but just my humble opinion :) good luck with whatever you decide, and let us know if it works. i may be wrong :D!

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Hanko wrote:
I have the 1800 and it sucks the air in through the radiators and blows it out into the opening just behind the front tire. I would really love to reverse the fans on mine because when I am stuck in traffic or going slow <20 the bike starts to heat up.

We were stuck in traffic around Chicago a couple of years ago. The temperature was 92 degrees and the wing overheated so I had to pull over under an overpass and let it cool off.

If the fans didn't have to fight the incoming air it would cool better. Just be careful of what you ask for...Honda has already given it to the 1800 owners and I don't consider it an improvement.
What year is your 1800? there was a recall on the pre 2004 models for an ECU change that sorted out the overheating ,It would only ioverheat if you were travelling at a certain speed (I think around 20 to 25 miles an hour ) I had one replaced on my 2003 18 and it never gave any trouble after that , Check with your Honda dealer ,give him the vin number and he will be able to tell uyou if it was included in the recall .Ciaran

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

Yea Wexy I thought the same thing so I took it to the dealer when we got back from the trip. Its a 2004 and according to Honda it already has the ECU change in it. It overheats when you are doing between 10-15 MPH or so. Just enough speed to fight the fans. Any faster and it starts to cool down again.

I've done come checking online and you can swap the fans around so they blow out instead of suck in, but it requires you to do some modifications to the fans. I've just been to lazy to do it. Now that its in the garage for the winter here in the Pacific Northwest I probably should get off my tail and get the change done.

A lot of people complained about the hot air on their legs with earlier models when going slow. It appears Honda listened and changed the fans to suck in, but this now causes the bike to heat up when going slow because you are fighting the incoming air.

Be careful of what you ask for, you might just get it....;)

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

William,

When my bike oveheated it was less than a year old. I took it into the dealer and they checked it out. They found nothing wrong. Their advise...wait until the warranty is over and reverse the fans!!

On your 1200 the radiator sits out in the wind right behind the front tire. To me this is a great design (except for the rocks hitting it). I probably wouldn't change the fan rotation on an 1100 or 1200, they work well as designed. On the 1800's they split the radiator into 2 and placed them sideways above the cylinders. They use the fairing behind the front wheel to funnel the air into the radiators for cooling. However they decided to reverse the fans so they suck in instead of assisting the incoming air. This causes the fans to fight the incoming air and leads to stagnation at around 10-15 MPH.

I've ridden through the desert in Nevada, Arizona and Utah when the temperatures are over 118 and the bike does not heat up. (I do but thats a different story) It only happens when going slow.

I'd rather have a little hot air on my legs than have the bike heat up at low speeds. Normally I am not stuck in traffic, and I only get into traffic on hot days when I am on a trip somewhere. I'd rather not have to pull over in heavy traffic on a hot day waiting for the bike to cool down. Drive another 2-3 miles, pull over, cool down, repeat as necessary until the traffic speeds back up.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

I have a spare radiator witha fan mounted sitting around. I am going to see how it runs in reverse this weekend. From the Guru's comments on this subject I expect it to not to work very well. I will post my findings.

It would be nice to blow the hot air elsewhere when sitting in a traffic jam when it's 95 degreeswith 100 percent humidity.

If the test is successful I will put a DPDT switchwired intoan adapter that plugs into the plug that is already in thewiring to the fan. Then plug the existing harness into my adapter. That way I won't alter the original harness and can remove it easily ifit doesn't workout.

I already have a bypass switch that can override the thermal switchand can turn the fan on and off anytime.

Peter

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

@Hanko - I'm aware of the design of the 1800 and heating problems due to the way the fans work, in this case i would do the mod if i had a 1800. but my opinions were thinking on a 1100, as you already mentioned, the radiator setup is different.

about inverting the polarity of the fan motor. here in mexico we have shops that work on and rebuild small electric motors, they can invert polarity of most ac/dc fans, i bet you can find a shop nearby to do that for you

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

Crazy thing is William I work on AC/DC motors all the time and I didn't for one second think about opening up one to see if they are using a diode to prevent the unit from working in reverse. I'll have to open one up and check it out!!

Thanks for the reminder!!

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

When it gets hot down here and there is lots of traffic, if I am on the highway I just use the "motorcycle" lanes provided on the right side of the road to keep moving and not overheat. picasso

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

picasso wrote:
When it gets hot down here and there is lots of traffic, if I am on the highway I just use the "motorcycle" lanes provided on the right side of the road to keep moving and not overheat. picasso
Here in Virginia they call that a $85.00 ticket. My neighbor the State Trooper loves those. When there is stop and go traffic he goes over a hill and parks in the breakdown lane. He just sits there writting ticket after ticket as they come over the hill.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.