Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am looking to add a reverse gear on my bike . It has a hitchhiker side car. Will one from a GL 1500 retrofit? Any ideas? How about a car starter with rubber tread attached to the sidecar?

Thanks, Joe

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

The one for the 1500 is part of the engine and starter circuit so that won't work.
I have no ideas for you that wouldn't take a lot of trial and error... much less, hassle.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Rudy, Thanks for your time. That eliminates that possibility! Much appreciation! I like this forum already.. Joe

Conscience: The annoying time between naps

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

I don't know of any put on by others on the 1100, or 1200 that have sidecars or been triked.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm embarrassed at how long it's ben since I was on the forum. Joe

·
ɹoᴉuǝS ɯoʇsnƆ
2,631 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Chewman, Thanks for the info! From the pic, it is hard to tell of the mounting. It appears that it is an electric motor but it seems bulky! Joe:waving:

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

I would love to see a friction electric motor option (could work on most bikes) available to mount below the swig arm behind the center stand. Just hit a button and the motor turns a small rubber wheel that makes contact with the center of the rear tire!

Wouldn't that be a nice idea?

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,641 Posts
imported post

It is an electric motor, it is a Starter Motor and it friction drivers the rear tires, or in some cases, it is actually integrated into the drive system.

Normally though, just friction operated.

·
Premium Member
3,702 Posts
imported post

I use reverse maybe once a year on my 1500 trike, they are so easy to push backwards since you expell NO enrgy holding it up.

On a sidecar rig, if really desired that much, I would think a electric assist rigged to the free wheeling side car rim would be the way to go. You'ld need tro both turn the motor on and off, observe direction, and have a means to disconnect or free wheel the drive going forward.

I'ld think better to add a grab bar to the rear frame to harness a "person" to would be easier?

:weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Guys, Thanx for the input! Unionjk, never thought of the bikes wheel. Interesting hmmmmm.....CP...That's what I was thinking. or maybe a small gear attached to the wheel that is engaged by the starter motor on the sidecar...

Joe

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.