Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reverse on a 1200

3K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  jimac 
#1 ·
imported post

I was just pokin' through some threads and noticed someone talking about the reverse gear on the 1500's being a electric reverse using the starter. If that's the case, why wouldn't it be possible to hook something like that up on the 1200? I know I'm a sissy, but that bike's heavy :action:.

#3 ·
imported post

There is more than just the starter so a bit more complicated. There is a gearing inside the motor, setup to engage the starter to transmission. The case was designed on the 1500 to house it.
you might be able to add a setup like HD trikes get though I'm not sure of the setup on them.

#4 ·
imported post

I built a "set back bracket" to relocate my 1200's trunk rearwards a couple and half inches and I incorporated mount points for my reverse.

The mount points let me attach a 1/8" X 1" X 1" piece of aluminum angle, polished with decorative holes, crosssways under the trunk.

When reverse is needed, Co-rider jumps off, hurry's around back, don's "reverser Girl" attire and grabs bar and pulls .... she'll even "Beep-Beep" if about to back over any people or small semi cars like "smart car" or "Scion", etc.

:?

Attachments

#5 ·
imported post

When our chapter pulls into a parking lot in formation and one by one backs uphill into the parking spots I am left standing there looking around saying "yea this is going to work, thanks a lot guys!"

That's when my wife gets off, goes around the front places her hands onto the fairing below the windshield, and pushes the bike backwards making loud electric motor noises.

It always gets a good laugh from the group!

When I am stuck trying to back up a little on my own I find that holding the front brake whilst pushing the front forks down, then releasing as the forks bounce upwards and I am pushing the bike back with my legs into the seat edges works well for a few inches each time.

#6 ·
imported post

unionjk wrote:
snip...
When I am stuck trying to back up a little on my own I find that holding the front brake whilst pushing the front forks down, then releasing as the forks bounce upwards and I am pushing the bike back with my legs into the seat edges works well for a few inches each time.
That is what I used to do also in the pre 1500 days. Works pretty well but a little slow.

#7 ·
imported post

At times, depending on the grade, I'll do that now, ..on a itty-bitty 1000, with a cut-down seat and lowered suspension.

Heavy is heavy. Wheels don't make it lighter. :ROFL:

#9 ·
imported post

Bufallowing wrote:
Too much reading on this forum has taken me to a place between fact and possibilities...
:ROFL:... Welcome to the Club!

#10 ·
imported post

So, sounds like a wife is the best reverse a 1200 can get :ROFL:

Unfortunately I'm single. I did try that with my brother in law once, I was trying to flip the bike around in my garage and rolled it out to the drive way, when I tryed to back it back up the driveway it wouldn't budge, my brother in law pushed at the fairing and I tryed to push from the seat, darn near gave both of us a hernia.

At least I finally got a motorcycle lift so I won't need him to come over every time I have to get it off the center stand :ROFL:

#12 ·
imported post

Why would you need help getting it off center stand?
Partly because I'm incompetent, and partly because I'm a weakling. When I try to get it off the center stand I don't have enough strength to lift the bike and take the weight (at least not without seriously regretting it later) and if I try to roll it off the stand it just slides accross the garage floor and the stand never moves.

#13 ·
imported post

blackknytecnc wrote:
if I try to roll it off the stand it just slides accross the garage floor and the stand never moves.
Assuming you're sitting on it when doing so, ...put a old piece of carpet down and park on that. The carpet will grip the stand.

#14 ·
imported post

CaptainMidnight85 wrote:
blackknytecnc wrote:
if I try to roll it off the stand it just slides accross the garage floor and the stand never moves.
Assuming you're sitting on it when doing so, ...put a old piece of carpet down and park on that. The carpet will grip the stand.
A piece with rubber back would be best, indoor/outdoor. Or a sample w/rubber back.

#15 ·
imported post

I have pulled into my garage facing in and not been able to get bike off center stand as well. After scooting a few times you find yourself with no room to roll off without hitting the back of the garage. As others have stated, rubber matt or carpet stops the slipping. One other means of dealing with it is to simply spin the bike on the center stand 180 deg. so it's facing the driveway. (As long as you have a smooth concrete floor and aren't parked oved an expansion joint or a crack that is...)
Anyway just apply some downward pressure on the passenger grab rail raising the front wheeland lean into the bike spinning it slowly around. Now you won't run out of scooting room!
:cheesygrin:

#17 ·
imported post

unionjk wrote:
When our chapter pulls into a parking lot in formation and one by one backs uphill into the parking spots I am left standing there looking around saying "yea this is going to work, thanks a lot guys!"
The answer is to not back uphill into a parking spot!Ride in forwards with the bike parked facing uphill and you won't face the danger of it slipping off its sidestand!

(And, yes, I know you can leave it in gear when parked but if you park facing uphill you don't have to worry about whether you remembered to or not!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.