Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

On my 1990 GL1500 I was useing the reverse backing out of a rough driveway and while trying to go up a hump is slowed to a stop. I went to take it out of reverse and at first it felt bound up. I rocked the bike back forth and I got it out of reverse. I tried it again and had the same results. Next time I also got a push and it backed up. When I got home I tried it on flat ground and I believe it woked ok. My wife did say the head light would go off when I was trying to back and if I read my clymers manual right the light should stay on and it could be a connecter or resister??. I have thought the reverse never felt that strong. I have a new battery and if I remember right when the reverse slowed to a stop my voltage pulled down to 12.9 but as soon as I stopped it went right back up to 14.'s Any idea's where I need to look first.......Gary

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Gary, the bump tripped ,the safety relay. When the relay trips you can't use reverse for several minutes until it dumps the charge.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
imported post

Did you have the engine running? It does take a good deal of battery power to use reverse. I always leave my engine running and usually throttle up the idle speed so the alternator will charge.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Ted, I will try it again under differant types of surfaces and see if works better. Thanks.......Gary

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
imported post

I've not done it, but I've been told you can back over a curb in reverse. Stick around, someone will be able to help you alot better than I can.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

fatalattraction wrote:
Did you have the engine running? It does take a good deal of battery power to use reverse. I always leave my engine running and usually throttle up the idle speed so the alternator will charge.
I did have the motor running. It does have a walmart battery maybe it doesn't have enough power. It did feel like it was weak and it just ran down to a stop.....Gary

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
imported post

Hi Gary I've seen GL1500s reverse up quite steep driveways without trouble, but I've also seen them stop at other times, like on speed humps. I think each bike is a bit different, maybe the relays are inconsistent and trip at different loads.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Eamonn1200 wrote:
Hi Gary I've seen GL1500s reverse up quite steep driveways without trouble, but I've also seen them stop at other times, like on speed humps. I think each bike is a bit different, maybe the relays are inconsistent and trip at different loads.
Thanks Eamonn, I am going to try it out on differant angles and see how it does so I will know what to expect. I am also going to check some of the conections. It has a new Walmart battery...Thanks............Gary

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.