Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My GW had been "triked" when I purchased it and all worked well for about 6 months. After that, I began having problems when attempting to use the reverse function. At first it was intermitten and has now become an all the time problem.

The malfunction is that when reverse function is activated and the starter button is depressed, the mc will only backup about 4 or 5 feet (3-4 sec) then stop with the reverse indicatior going off (neutral ind not on either). To continue in reverse, the reverse button must be released allowing the unit to switch back into neutral, then repeat the action all over. This can be done again and again. Unit was put into the dealers shop for 2 days, to no avail, with the reverse/cruise module having been changed. (No charge for that since the problem wasn;t fixed) I've since discovered that if I simply release the start button and after a count of 3, then depress it again, the dis-engage/engage action does not have to be done. I can simply dis-engage/engage the start button over and over. Kind of herky-jerky but eventually gets me where I need to go. Does anyone have any ideas?

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

Did the shop adjust the cables? When they need adjusting, they make the bike slip out of reverse and sometimes you hear a clicking noise.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

If the neutral light is also going out and there is no clicking noises, that could be a load relay tripping. They usually trip for a reason, ie too much weight or dragging brakes.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I don't know what all the tech did while he had my wing but do know he had several conversions with Honda tech support; Honda support dyagnosed the cruise/reverse module being bad but that wasn't it. One can only assume the cable adjustment was checked in the 2 days they had my wing. While in reverse and moving there are no noises I would construe as unusual and when the reverse indicatior goes off, the neutral light does not come on until I push the reverse function button; At yhat point, engagage the reverse button again will allow me to back up 3-4 sec before encountering the same condition. As I said in the original post, if I simply release the start lever within about 3 seconds, then immediately engagege the start lever again, the reverse indicator remains on and I can manuver backwards in a herky-jerky manner as far as I care to go without the reverse indicator going off.

·
It aint rocket science
3,931 Posts
imported post

Budegan wrote:
If the neutral light is also going out and there is no clicking noises, that could be a load relay tripping. They usually trip for a reason, ie too much weight or dragging brakes.
To confirm, try reversing a slight downward slope.

JD

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

:thumbsup:Thanks for the tip; I'll try that when it warms up a bit and has quit raining (couple of days). Will fill you in with results.

Just so you know the rabbit we're chasing, when the reverse funct is engaged, the neutral indicator goes off; vise-versa when the reverse fucfion has been disengaged. Isn't that the proper way the indicator lights are supposed to work?
:?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.