Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

:X I really hate adding things to any machine that when it breaks down iscrazy expensive to repair. I have a 20031800 with 33000 miles on it.The Reverse was making a real bad sound like it was taking the inside of the motor apart. I dont use the reverse so that makes me very unhappy with the system as a whole.The Honda shop says their was a retainer clip that let loose in the reverse system. I was billed 20 hours of labor & $897.00 in parts for a total repair cost of $2,551.91

Honda you really need to do better.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

I'm speechless

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

Having 'reverse' is handy to have on a big bike, but I wouldn't pay more than $200 - $300to fixmine if it broke.

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

Popeye wrote:
Having 'reverse' is handy to have on a big bike, but I wouldn't pay more than $200 - $300to fixmine if it broke.
Sounds to me like he doesn't use it and it breaks anyway, and prevented him from being able to ride. So I think he was forced to fix it.

And it really sucks that he doesn't even use it and it broke.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

:(Popeye; yes you would if it was grinding up your bike while underway. Its been out of commision since Sept 1st. :(

Cranky Vince; Do you know what extortion means?

This repair, if done 9 times over would buy my bike brand new. I was going to get a new 2010 Wing. To bad they don,t come with a option of not having the reverse. After all this None of my friends are going to run out and buy a Wing thats for sure. I purchased This bike this year and in 6 weeks the ignition went out as well as the reverse. My old 82 Aspencade has not broken down on me as much as this in 3 years of riding. Come to think of it the repairs on the new wing would had purchased the old wing and done all the repairs as well. Oh by the way allthese break downshappened in less than 6 weeks. Lots of trouble for a bike with only 33,000 miles on it!:cheeky1: Oh Well:cheeky1: Dan

Now its snowing and I can,t go out & play :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

Someone out there had to have had there reverse drive and clutch system replaced. I really want to hear from you.
Thank You Dakota Dan

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

That's crazy... All because a clip let loose.
Did they give you an estimate before tearing into it?
For $2600, I would've taken a week off and done it myself, and thrown a victory party afterward. But that's me.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

Before they started the work they said it would take 12 hours labor. It ended up a 20 hour job. They didn,t bother to call me when they discovered the job was bigger than they estimated. Color me happy! Its really bull**** anyway. The bike had a grinding sound that was truly a hollyshoot turn it off, turn it off, sound ! They could had figured it was a replace everything job so its Simply Bull anyway you look at it..... Dakota Broke Dan :(:shock::(:shock::(:shock::(:shock:

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

May be able to fight the labor charge. Most (if not all) states have laws about that kind of approach by service shops. I don't know that I would pursue it though. Time involved might balance into the negative.

I hate to hear about shockers like this... :(

·
Registered
517 Posts
imported post

too heavy. too complicated. too expensive to repair. doesn't make a used GL1800 sound like a good deal.

I wonder if they'll go the way of luxury cars that are worth 1/2 their purchase price at 35,000 miles simply because they are so loaded with stuff to break and so expensive to fix.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
imported post

This has made up my mind to purchase the 4 year extended warranty on my 2010 so I'll get the initial 3 years with the bike and 4 years additional. That price for any repair on a low mileage bike is more than a little disconcerting.:shock:

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
imported post

Hey Captain Midnight "I LIKE THE HANDLE" Thanks, and I am going to look into your advice. I am Disabled so I have lots of time to mess with this as a small claims case.
Cldryder; I agree! as machines get older frivolous fancy extras tend to break down. The machines value plumits and the repair cost goes out of sight. Load it on Honda!
NativH: I was assured that of all the 1800s made and serviced this shop has only had 3 repairs on the reverse system. I am getting so I don,t have too much trust for my beloved shop since they have made soooo many blunders in the last 7 weeks. 9 Years of these 1800s and only 3 repairs?I have been a Honda man for some 30 years and I have never had trouble like this before.
You most likely will have a great bike that is trouble free for years to come, But buy the extended Warranty! in the event you are in my shoes it will pay for itself many times over! Thanks Guys I appreciate all your inputt!

"North" Dakota Dan :( :( :( :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

makes me reeeaally like reverse on 87 aspy, if it breaks i can't ride anyway:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::D:action::waving:

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

My 1200 reverse had a clip come loose, her hair was a mess for a while, don't feel so bad.
It costs me a hell of a lot more for my reverse :)

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
imported post

I have had 5 GL's since my original '83 'Cade and the only thing that has ever gone wrong with one is the change up on the water pump on the '83. I have put 100,000 (kms) on each one before trading. The only other problem I have seen with one of my riding buddy;s is a stator problem on a 1200 Aspy a few years ago. Color me and us exceptionally blessed to have such trouble free riding! These are man made items and will break down occasionally for sure but to have as much grief as you have had in such a short time would likely sour my views of an otherwise great bike as well.
Hang in there. Another season is coming. Soon. I hope!

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

I can remember vividly when the Aspencade first came out. Compared to other Motorcycles it was a true marvel. I remember fellow riders saying things like "they just keep getting more complicated", " how you gonna work on that". Deja Vu ? is it not? Can't wait to see what the next generation Goldwing is going to be like. It will probably be way to complicated !

In reference to the 1st post, sounds like the dealer is the suspect here.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

My reverse never breaks; and she only requires a hamburger, milkshake, anda smileonce in awhile to keep on working!

Sometimes she hates pushing against theheadlight with slimy squashed bugs all over it, but I just tell her that's what her gloves are for! Took me awhile to get her broke in, but now I think I have thousands of miles of good "backing up" to look forward to .........

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

Seriously,I think that you shouldlook into your state's Better Business Bureau or for a "Lemon Law." Sometimes only the threat to do so will modify their bill...... Good luck!

(My "reverse" waving.........)

Attachments

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.