Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Have an issue with my reverse switch.

I put it in reverse yesterday backed up and then back in to neutral.

Drove to my grandfathers house. I then shut it off. Cam back out a couple hours later and for some reason it is back in neutral, and I can't get it out.

What's wierd is I did not put it intoreverse again, I just shut the bike off.

I have worked with the reverse lever for about a 1/2 hour but still will not go back into the neutral poistion.

Is this a stuck relay or something? Any ideas? I had to park it in my grandfathers garage for the time being.

[line]

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Sounds like the famous reverse switch. Most likely the control cables have became out of adjustment. Under the front right cover you will find the cables, some adjustment nuts and the means to adjust the cables. There is a mark on the little bell crank to line up with another mark, but that sometimes does not work if the cables are stretched, basically you simply adjust the cables until the reverse switch is activated like it should be. Normally does not take much, as a matter of fact you can move the cables by hand just a bit to see which way they need to go, then adjust the system to go that way.

Somewhere on here is an adjustment diagram for this, but I cannot find it.

Kit

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Scroll down in the link below there's a picture and a description I posted a while back.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=50267&forum_id=1

It went like this:

The adjustments for the reverse cables are on the opposite or right side of the bike. Take off the cover over the oil filler and you'll see a pair of cables attached to a bellcrank above the oil filler cap.

Here's the adjustment procedure:

1. Motorcycle on center stand, ignition OFF.

2. Remove right hand front side cover.

3. Operate the reverse lever from its neutral position to its reverse position and back to neutral. The lever should operate smoothly with no binding or roughness. If necessary lubricate the cables.

4. Shift the reverse lever into reverse and attempt to turn the rear wheel by hand. When the reverse is properly engaged the wheel will not turn.

5. Check that the index mark A aligns with the engine case mark as shown below.

6. Check tht index mark B has 2-3mm (1/16"-1/8") free play.

FOR THE FOLLOWING STEPS REVERSE LEVER MUST BE IN REVERSE

7. To adjust index mark A, loosen the Alocknut and turn the A adjusting nut so that index A aligns with engine case mark. Tighten locknut A and recheck the alignment.

8.To adjust index mark B, turn the B adjusting nut so that index mark B freeplay is as above. Tighten locknut B and recheck the index mark free play.

9. Shift into neutral and then into reverse several times leaving the lever in reverse.

10. Recheck lever alignment and free play, readjust as needed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I pulled my GoldWing out of my grandfathers garage to work on my reverse switch issue that happened last fall.

For some reason the bike started and the reverse switch was working again.

But since I had the issue last fall where it did not, I took the instructions that you shown me last fall, and adjusted the cable slightly to be sure that the notch lined up with the arrow on the block, but after that for some reason I no longer have a Neutral or Reverse light on the dash, and the bike will not start, and the reverse will not engage when I pull the reverse lever up.

I adjusted the cable back to were we started but the bike will still not start, and I still do not have any neutral or reverse lights lit.

Does any one have any suggestions what to do now?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.