Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 1800 Trike
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just put a new to me engine in my 2007 1800 and everything was going well. Tried the reverse and worked spot on. Tried it again a few minutes later and you could feel a rumble like something was moving inside the gearbox but the shaft wasn't turning. It's a trike so I could see the shaft.
Any suggestions what it could be please.
Cheers guys, Bash

·
Administrator
28,665 Posts
Adjust the cables.

Reactions: tpd1749 and cihilb

·
Premium Member
2004 1800 Trike
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Had a play about with the adjusters and now for some reason the R starts flashing about s seconds after turning the ignition on and won't start up.
Have adjusted them back to where I started and also the reverse cable puller has stopped working.
Cheers,Bash

·
1,870 Posts
Had a play about with the adjusters and now for some reason the R starts flashing about s seconds after turning the ignition on and won't start up.
Have adjusted them back to where I started and also the reverse cable puller has stopped working.
Cheers,Bash
I have seen that the actuator can go bad

·
Premium Member
2004 1800 Trike
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Managed to get all that reset. It seems if I engage the reverse with the engine not running it engages properly, with the engine running it turns the same amount bt there's a lug within the springs that doesn't fully engage. Push it home with a screwdriver and all works well.
It's a 2004 engine and the spring parts look slightly different. Have tried wd40 and hope it loosens up a bit.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
62,332 Posts
I always leave the engine at IDLE when engaging Reverse.

then during backing up, I add a bit of throttle, though that has never made a real difference in speed...
( there is a speed governor ) it just helps the battery

·
Administrator
28,665 Posts
Managed to get all that reset. It seems if I engage the reverse with the engine not running it engages properly, with the engine running it turns the same amount bt there's a lug within the springs that doesn't fully engage. Push it home with a screwdriver and all works well.
It's a 2004 engine and the spring parts look slightly different. Have tried wd40 and hope it loosens up a bit.
Does it engage if you bump the start button? There are some gears that have to mesh and they might not until it moves a bit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts