Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I know the reverse lever is to be pulled out then up, but mine will not pull out but if I lift it up with a good pull it will go into reverse, but why will it not pull out. I just got the bike and not to sure where to start looking. Ken GL1500 1989

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
imported post

perhaps the pivot bolt spring is broke or improperly installed. for forward lever will lay flat against body and spring will need to be overcome to move lever outward before rotate to reverse. think column shift on a car

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
imported post

My 88 just requires being pulled straight back while in neutral.Easy and smooth.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,195 Posts
imported post

I always rock the bike forward/back to be sure that there is no pressure on the shifter mechanism.

So far, no issues ever.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
imported post

My '89 reverse lever just pulls up, not out.

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
imported post

The reverse lever cam has a small hole under the lever mounting bolt. This is an interlock requiring pulling the lever out prior to swinging up or down.

If the lever moves without having to pull out, check for broken/bent rod interlock.

JD

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thank you for all your replies I will inspect all the moving parts today. This is all new to me and thank you for the photo as this helps me with what to look for. Ken

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

In order to get to that picture you will have to remove the left side tupperware, including the left pocket so you can get at the screws, and remove the seat and take off the top console also...there is how to articles how to do this in the search forum....

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
imported post

The trim will come off without removing the whole shelter.

Remove the handle by lifting the rubber cover away at the rear part if the lever. Remove the allen headed bolt and remove the handle (look out for the pin)

With a small flat bladed screwdriver carefully pry the black trim away from the shelter. It is only held in by several small tabs. You will then be able to get to the reverse switch.

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thank you all again with this. This web site is great I have looked at many riders ask for help and wow the large amount that reply. Way to go

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

I HAVE A 90 GL1500 AND MY LEVER PULLS STRAIGHT UP. WHEN TAKING OUT OF REVERSE I HAVE TO PULL LEVER OUT AND DOWN TO RELEASE. AND I ALSO ROCK BACK AND FORTH AND HAVE NO PROBLEMS. RLM61

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.