Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When installing a new battery on my GL1100 the leads were reversed. Made a spark on battery. No power now. Do I replace the 30 amp fuse or take it too a shop? Gulp....

·
It aint rocket science
3,966 Posts
If just a spark prolly no big deal. If the magic smoke came out and now smells burnt then a little more.

Inspect all the wiring around battery for burnt insulation paying particular attention to the smaller wires.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
For what it's worth connecting one battery to your bike backwards will not cause a spark unless something is on/shorted and in that case would have sparked even if connected correctly.

Reversing leads when jump starting is another can of worms but still shouldn't blow fuses.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Reversing the leads on the battery can burn out the battery, blow the rectifier kill the SCR regulator, it depends on how long the cables were reversed, how charged the battery was.
Start with the battery, do a multimeter test to each cell and across the battery. Make sure the positive terminal is positive likewise the negative terminal. Warped plates will show up with use, the battery will prematurely die.
Check all connections
Check all cables
Check the starter solenoid.
If the primary source 12 V is OK, and everything checks out try a start then test the battery while connected to the system for 12-15 VDC. If voltage is higher than 13VDC you may be OK.
But all systems should be tested for function and voltage.
Get back to us

·
Administrator
27,888 Posts
For what it's worth connecting one battery to your bike backwards will not cause a spark unless something is on/shorted and in that case would have sparked even if connected correctly.

Reversing leads when jump starting is another can of worms but still shouldn't blow fuses.

Actually the regulator/rectifier would be a direct short if reversed, it is connected to B+ through the main fuse.

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
It is possible to charge a battery in reverse if it is flat enough at the time of charging. Reverse polarity through a rectifier/ diodes is a dead short as stated by DAVEO430 and ARKnapp

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
A friend recently accidentally did the same on his 1500 and had no power afterwards. His dogbone fuse was the only damage and the bike was fine after a new dogbone was put in. Not sure if your model has a dogbone though, but worth checking. The 1500 has 2.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Theoretically reversed leads should blow any adjacent fuse and that's been my experience. I did work on a GL1100 years back that this happened and I found rolled up tinfoil in place of the main fuse. The damages were the reg/rect, both ignition units and the 7V reg for the gauges...all nicely melted. Luckily the harness and connectors were undamaged. The guy had just purchased the bike used privately installed the wrong battery...apparently the PO had been 'hard up' for a real fuse.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all that help. When I put some foil in for a temp fix it got power so I am good to go. Was advised to get a 30 amp blade to install. Is that a standard part to be had at auto parts store?

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Yes...in my previous post I hope you didn't read that foil as a recommendation...it cost that guy around a 'grand' to fix. And that's when you could still buy the parts.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Connected the contacts with some foil temporarily. It's getting juice so no damage! Whew...
Thanks for the assistance.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Connected the contacts with some foil temporarily. It's getting juice so no damage! Whew...
Thanks for the assistance.
I think what Dizzy is hoping, is that when you say temporarily, you mean "for test purposes". We better not find you riding around with tin foil fuses!!

·
Large Member
788 Posts
Auto zone or checker has an ATO blade type fuse holder for around $3.50. It has a nice little rubber cap that snaps over the fuse to make it all watertight. That is what I replaced my dogbone with. Solder the wires together, do not crimp. On the battery side of the fuse holder use a ring connector direct to the battery. Unfortunately, however, that is a crimp type connector unless you can find a solder type.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.