Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I finally flushed and filled my 82 interstate over the weekend. The cap was original Cap. After wiping and scraping the cap we found the information we needed - in JAPANESE! He recommended a 16 psi cap. The manual states 10.3 - 15 psi. Is 16 too high? Will it hurt the bike? I haven't ridden it yet due to 30 degree weather. Any body have suggestions. My gut tells me this is bad.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

I would use a 13 or 14!

Don't know if 16 would hurt?

I'm sure some of these guys have experimented?1

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

Higher preasure means that the coolant can take higher temps before boiling over. The main problem with a tougher cap is that if your bike overheats, more than just the cap may pop. (Hoses and such.) Manufacturers always build in a safety margian on these types of things, so there is a possibility that the 16 will work fine, but if possible, I'd try and track downsomething in the right range soon.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Phil's right, 16psi shouldn't do any harm, but why take the chance? Of course over pressuring the system is a good way to see if all the hose clamps are tight!

:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I knew I should not have put all the pieces back on! But its good practice! Thanks guys - as always its nice too know you're out there! :)

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

One question that belatedly comes to my mind, why replace the cap? If all was okay before flushing, why not just put it back on?

:stumped:

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

It was the original from 1982 - crusted up pretty bad and the previous owner appears not to have loved it as much as I do (oil was like black sludge, air filter literally decomposing in my hand, rear drive oil was almost empty etc)- based on what I am finding out as I recondition it, and since I had everything apart - thought why not replace? $6

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.