Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up an "87 1200 Interstate that has sat with weeds growing through it for just over a year.

It has 66k miles and looks pretty complete and stock. A few cracks here and there, but expected for the age and (likely poor) care.

With bad gas and old oil, it fired and made it to my house (I know, but I'm operating on a shoestring, no trailer, etc)

I spent many hours in these forums and decided that the miracle of Sea Foam would suit my situation. Today I added as prescribed in the crankcase and a little heavy in the gas tank (and topped off with fresh fuel).

When I initially rode it to my place, the idle was hardly moving the tach and I had to manually maintain the proper idle rpms. The bike was gutless below 2500 and didn't want to top 4500. After about 20 miles with Sea Foam, the idle began hovering around 500 when not assisted and I could finally let the clutch out without winding the motor up to over the 2500 mark. Now it tops 5k rpms also.

Tomorrow, I'll get an oil filter and change the oil, likely to use Castrol GTX 10-40.

Other matters: leaking fork seal, right side. wiring under left side cover looks neglected.

I'd like an experienced summary of what things I should do and in what order of priority. I know each situation is different, but I'll address the matters specific to my machine as they arise.

If there's already a primer on this, please direct me, as I am already late to bed and too tired/lazy for a good search :)

Bonus: Lots of beer, coffee or iced tea to any Goldwing electrical guru in central Texas that wants to help me evaluate my new steed.

Thanks for lookin' and take care!

-Jay

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do we have anything of a consensus on final drive oil?

What are you guys using (weight, brand, dino vs. synth)

Changed oil today. Dumped in the GTX 10-40 I had on hand. After a few hundred miles or so, I'll look into the Delo or Rotella stuff.

Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.