Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While searching for run flat motorcycle tires and considering dark side for tire purchase when needed, I stumbled onto www.rhinotire.com. This product looks promising. An old thread here had questions and only 1 testimony. Does anyone have any long term experience or opinions about this stuff?

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
I am sure you will get lot's of opinions. Probably none of us have much facts or experience with it though.

It's looks expensive to me. Says it can be applied to any tires with special machines and high heat.
That sounds to me like I have to buy the tires, then ship to them to have them done, then ship back to me. May be short cuts like buy local in their area then ship to me, but it all sounds expensive in the end.

I guess the big question is how many flats per tire does a person normally get? For my history on tires on many types of vehicles it would be a waste of money for me!
I've not had a puncture flat on the bikes yet, knock on wood. Even for the Wife's jeep when we were getting puncture flats the tires were mostly wore out and I just plugged them fine for less than $1 a plug and never a problem.

When the Jeep tires got a rock cut I could not plug it cost me like $7 to have it patched inside it I thought it was worth patching. Often the tire was not worth the $7 to repair, and sometimes the damage was such I would not have trusted a repair!

No sealer of any type will repair cut belts in a tire, so if the tire is cut I would be replacing it on a bike anyway so no need for the sealer stuff.
Matter of fact I am not sure I would want a cut tire sealed anyway.
I'm thinking not good to be stranded with a flat, but maybe worse to run on a cut tire that did not leak and end up having a blow out if the belts busted suddenly do to the cut! At least if I had a flat I would find the cut in the tire right away, not after riding 100 miles on it at high speeds which may be dangerous!

I think the best option, at least for me is to just carry a 12V air compressor and some tire plugs. That should seal the puncture just as well though I'd have to do it manually as needed, but at least I'd know that I had a damaged tire.

I could see a use for that product for stuff like off road use where I might get lots of punctures from thorns and such like my mini bike and 100 got allot when I was a kid or lawn mower tires etc...

As for a run flat tire, it is recommended to use a tire pressure monitor with those.
If a cut happens, air would be lost and you would know it. You could still maybe ride on a flat run flat but you would know it had no air right away so then you would find the cut! That would be safer in my opinion!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.