Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My 1983 GL1100 is running too rich on #3. The plug turns black with carbon soon after it has been cleaned. The other three plugs look good and all four seem to be within tolerance for sync and I made sure they were gaped to specs. The bike normally idles fairly smooth, and runs pretty smooth, but will start cutting out at full throttle. I really do not want to pull the carbs (again, 5th time) and was hoping somehow the #3 carb could be leaned out, without taking the carbs off the bike. If this has already been discussed, just point me to that page. My fear is that there is really no shortcut here. By the way, I believe the ignition to that plug is good. I had replaced the wires and boots. The last time I had the carbs off the bike, I did make sure the air pistons were moving smoothly and the needle was not nicked.

I would appreciate any help you folks can give me.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
imported post

you can adjust the idle mixture. there's an alum. plug over the adjustment screw. I'm going to guess that it's not out of adjustment, that you have another problem due to wear or age. (the usual problems). edit: Oh, 1100. not sure if there's a plug over the adjustment screw, but it still should be there.
I am going to make a 2nd guess based on the first that you have a sticky float valve on that carb (if everything else is adjusted right).
If that's not the case, and you are indeed rich, there's several air passages in the carbs and the connecting tubes between the carbs, I would inspect those to make sure that there's not a blockage of some sort (spider nest?)
Has the bike been sitting for a while? are you new to the bike? did you check the compression? will the plug stay clean at idle? it just "soots up" when you go full throttle?
-kevin

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

kevin - the bike has not been setting idle for a couple of years now. However, it did at one time. I have removed and rebuilt the carbs, cleaned them thoroughly, as they were quite dirty when I got the bike a little over 2 years ago. I had checked the compression last year and it seemed OK then, but I will check it again. I have never messed with the idle screws, assumming they would have nothing to do with higher engine speeds. Am I wrong here? I could readjust the mixture, if you think that might help. I have never seen if the plug gets dirty at just idle, but I can also check that out, as well. I will let you know what I find out and we can take it from there.

Thanks for your advice on this one.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

Mine ran rich on one cylinder after doing a Randakk kit. I had to take the carbs out again and bend the float tab down enough so it sat level like the other three. Runs fine now.

Too much gas is getting into the bowl.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks chris in va... I think mine is in the same situation. Guess I will have to pull those carbs...UGH :(

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
imported post

Ed,
you're right. if the problem is when the throttle is open more than 1/4, then the idle mixture screws aren't going to help.

You can check the float level with the carbs on the bike two ways:
1. drain each bowl and see if the volume is the same in all of them. (I think mine were 30ml each?)
2. take some clear tubing that will fit over the drain nipple and hold the other end up above the carb body. open the drain and you now have a sight gauge for the level in the bowl.

I think on my bike the nipples were too small to attach some tubing, but every time I would pull the carbs (6x total!?) I would drain the bowls first and I happened to use a graduated container. almost every dirtbike has a clear tube off the drain anyway, so it's easy to check that way.

-Kevin

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Great idea...I will try that one, before taking the carbs out. THANK YOU. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.