Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I've put about 2k on the bike since I got it back in May, the plugs were brand new, so the seller told me, just looking for an educated opinion on what my spark plugs are telling me about how my bike is running thanks! (see attached picture)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,761 Posts
Fifty years ago I would've said you're running way too lean. But every set of plugs in my two 1200s looked the exact same as those pictured. I used to set them to a tight .035" and change every 35>40k miles.

·
Registered
613 Posts
They look fine to me. With only 2k miles I'd just thread 'em back in there and call it "good".

·
It aint rocket science
3,816 Posts
Certainly not rich so that is good. As to whether lean or just right, no one can determine this by looking at plugs alone. RPM change can determine that with the controlled addition of some carb clean spray into the air box intake stream while idling. If RPM increases more than 100-150 or so with addition of spray than it is running too lean.:smile2:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Certainly not rich so that is good. As to whether lean or just right, no one can determine this by looking at plugs alone. RPM change can determine that with the controlled addition of some carb clean spray into the air box intake stream while idling. If RPM increases more than 100-150 or so with addition of spray than it is running too lean./forums/images/GoldwingFacts_2015/smilies/tango_face_smile.png
If I spray the slightest bit of carb cleaner in the breather the bike tries to cut out

·
It aint rocket science
3,816 Posts
Repeat the test, spraying (often times just a dribble or two to get a response) directly with the straw pointing into each individual carb throat. A breather is for crankcase gases on an engine, fresh air intake is where you should be at previously.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hello, I've put about 2k on the bike since I got it back in May, the plugs were brand new, so the seller told me, just looking for an educated opinion on what my spark plugs are telling me about how my bike is running thanks! (see attached picture)

nothing. with todays unleaded gas, plugs for the most part cannot be read.

Had my valkyrie on a factorypro dyno with gas analyzer. plugs had very little color on porcelain, basically white, and she was pig rich 10:1 at WOT.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Repeat the test, spraying (often times just a dribble or two to get a response) directly with the straw pointing into each individual carb throat. A breather is for crankcase gases on an engine, fresh air intake is where you should be at previously.
Sorry. That's what I meant, I lifted the lid and sprayed down through the filter directly into the intake manifold, wants to cut out the second it breathes in

·
Registered
381 Posts
Those plugs look pretty good, just clean them and regap them. They don't wear out unless the electro burns off. These are not race motor's and the compression is low so the plugs always look a little dirty.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts