Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an 84 gl1200 and with my wife on the back we bottom out quite a bit. If I add air to the back will it raise the ride height or just stiffen the rear suspension.

Thank you

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,155 Posts
it will raise it up IIRC.

I think it is like the 1500s, air shock one side, spring shock the other side.

I aired mine up to about 55 lbs.... but that was 20 years ago, and I forget a lot.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It will raise it up to about an inch but the ride will be worth it, experiment with different pressures, if I remember on my 1500 two up with the packed for a two week vacation I ran at 65 and just two up 50 and single I think 35 and as far as height can not remember any difference just ride comfort.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,751 Posts
Pretty sure the max on a 12 is 57 PSI.
First, check the shocks to make sure what brand they are and if they are leaking oil.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The manual for my 1500 says max of 57 PSI ON THE CENTER STAND. I put 57 on the center stand. took it of the stand and had momma get on. Now it reads 95 ish.

It goes up 20 lbs for me and another 20 for passenger. The non air shock was not doing any damping. I went with a set of Progressive 412 Heavy Duty. Pretty chrome shocks that no one will see.

They work great. Handling was much improved. Ride height can be set for one or two riders.

David

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
I owned a 84 1200 Aspy and had the same problem. I thought about buying a kit and repairing the problem. Old parts have a way of repeating the same problem.
A friend had motorcycle repair shop. Found a pair of shocks with outside springs the same length from a heavy bike. Had 5 adjustment positions move it up or down and find the ride for you.
Never had a problem after that. I ride a 1500 Bobber with the same set up. Riding it for 15 yrs with one black box for the ignition. Head mechanic at Honda shop said it couldn't be done.Cost him a steak diner.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts