Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello. i feel like my fairing and trunk will crack. the front end feels 2 hard. i did the seals and changed the tires. now running 7 psi and 40 at the wheels.whats the lowest safe psi i can run on the E3 without wearing them out? im 160kg and ride solo. any recomendations?

im running stock springs and 20W fork oil. cant remember how much butit was on the manual. also when i jump on the bike it will lower like 2" =(

·
Administrator
26,155 Posts
imported post

Be sure your tire pressure gauge is correct. I have seen many that are way off.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
imported post

The problem is that you are running 20wt for oil, 10 wt oil is what you should be running. Also going to Progressive fork springs an NO air in the forks will also improve your ride. there is nothing wrong with your tire pressures.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
imported post

Yes, 20W is pretty thick for fork oil. I think honda sells it, but they also have some 10W too.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

You only need around 2 psi in the forks. Some members are useing ATF for oil in them.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

honda stealer only had w5 and w20 on bumps it works very well. but the problem is on old roads like most of them here in mexico :p

·
Administrator
26,155 Posts
imported post

I like using heavier fork oil, it's like putting heavier duty shocks on a car or truck. There is very little damping as the forks compress when you hit a bump, the damping action happens when the forks extend and with light oil it tends to make the tire bounce when it hits so on a series of bumps the bouncing makes it worse. Heavier oil slows the rebound so the tire keeps better contact with the road. When I change the fork oil in my 1800 this winter I will go to something heavier, most likely tractor hydraulic oil. Once again William, get a new gauge.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,657 Posts
imported post

vencowings wrote:
The problem is that you are running 20wt for oil, 10 wt oil is what you should be running. Also going to Progressive fork springs an NO air in the forks will also improve your ride. there is nothing wrong with your tire pressures.
I want to re-emphasize this post.

Do the above, and the problem will go away. It did on mine.

The OEM springs on my bike felt like it was bottoming out. The Progressive springs stopped all of that nonsense. Personally, for me, I found that 2 psi of air pressure with the Progressive springs was just right for my 265# frame. YMMV

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

I just changed out the 'oil' in my 83's forks and filled with ATF. No air in the front shocks, rides fine.

What is the equivalent oil weight with ATF anyway?

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
imported post

The older ATF was around 20W. I don't know if the newer stuff is different.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
imported post

hello,

mimimum psi for E3 is 36 front and 40 rear, I'm a single rider, a little lighter in weight, but these settings suit me, and may be a starting point for you.

with no luggage,

E3 36 front 40 rear, suspension 28 lb rear, front 6lbs TRAC system set at 3 (both forks) considering you have 20 weight fork oil, could try setting this to 2.

good luck,

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.