Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I posted a post in another thread related to tires, patching, etc. Thought I'ld post my experience here as relates to Ride-On sealant specifically.

Back several years ago I put "Ride-On" in my '85 GL1200's new tires with new Honda valve stems.The tires were balanced as well, before I addedthe Ride-On. Ride-On is not corrosive itself, it does not harm rubber in tires. It will self balance. By all accounts .... it's "good stuff". A couple ofweeks ago I went on a ride with the "wife unit" andthen parked the bike in basement afterwards. Fast forward a couple days later when I went to move it off center stand ... and found the rear tire was flat.

Damn!

I get bottle of soapy water and flashlight and lay down with air hose and air it up and start looking. Find leaks all around tire bead at rim and see little white smuges, and I find a big leak at the base of valve stem.

Damn!

I try, but my 6" Cclamps aren't deep enough to break bead on bike, so I get it in position, pull bags and hitch and etc and get rear wheel and tire off. Use my home made chain to post type bead breaker and break bead and ....

Damn!

What a mess. White flacky stuff between bead and rim all around. I try to clean bead area up, and pull old valve stem out and insert a brand new very very short metal valve stem and use lock tite on nut. These I got are a hair shorter than regular 1200 stem. They were going in next tire change which will still be a while away as wife prefers to ride Trike?.

Darn!~:stumped:

Thinking all is well, reinflate tire .... stem is perfect, but still leaking a minute amount at bead area. I break bead and clean both sides again, twice. Thinking I finally got it fixed, I reinstall on bike, put all together. 3 days later, half flat.

Damn!

Take all apart .... AGAIN .... break bead and this time, remove tire after marking it for stem. Wash and clean on tire with water and brush all inside, good hour. Then tackle rim. Rim not corroded .... but that Ride On was like a white flacky bumpy glue residue .... took scraping to get it clean off bead seating area. Another hour or so. High speed grinder with wire brush would be faster maybe ....but hard on rim.

Damn!

Remount cleaned tire on cleaned wheel, all is good. Inflate, no leaks. Deflate, install on bike, reinflate, still no leaks. Put bike back together, several days later .... still NO LEAKS!

HURRAY!

Wednesday, I decide to put that other metal stem in front. I use C-clamps, break bead from rim, OH NO!

Damn!

What a mess there too, just none between side of bead and rim flange, but there was plenty between base of bead and rim. I knew I likely wouldn't have had a problem with tire to rim leaks had I not broken bead, but I had to to put in new stem. Now I figured loose material would get caught in bead-rim and lead to leaks.

Damn!

Nothing to do but take wheel and tire off bike, break down, scrub tire well, water removes Ride On from tire. Clean rim with scraping and brush (hand held) and finally,hour later .... ready to put together. New stem install, loctite on nut, air up, no leaks.... reinstall on bike.

HURRAY!

In retrospec .... I think that when that rear stem started leaking, it maybe let the tire deflate while we were riding, not flat, but low enough to flex enough that Ride On got between rim and tire bead and maybe tried to seal in spots? Isuppose that it was good to have "Ride On in the tire when the leak happened, though I don't know that it helped the stem leak itself? Maybe it did?

Itsurprised me to see that stuff coated the tire bead to bead and even the rim? But now that I have the metal stems, after going through that clean up process,...

...I don't know if I'll use more in those tires?

I stillhave three more bottles on the shelf. I also have it in the front tire of the Trike. It's good stuff for stopping leaks and for balancing to the "N-th Degree", but in my case .... it seemingly compounded a simple valve stem replacement .... though it maybe slowed leakage? I may just keep those three other bottles for use in the Trike's front tire but if at the next change there I have a simular mess ...

... I don't know?

:?

I guess I'm posting this in part to help others understand what to expect ...

... and in part to solicitthe experiences of others here that might help myself and others decide as to wheather or not to use it.

;)

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Geez. Sorry to hear about all that. I have Ride-On in the tires of my Vulcan 750, on the recommendation of many members of the Vulcan 750 forum who swear by it. I had recently put new Metzler ME880s on it, and a few hundred miles later got a nail in the rear, dead center, and down in one of the tread grooves. I used one of those gooey string type plugs with rubber cement, patched the hole, then put Ride-On in the tire. Now, while it will temporarily stop most leaks, what I found is that if the leak is on top when you park the bike, it will slowly run down to the bottom, and let some air leak out. I now have 3 plugs in that tire. I don't know about balance, I always balance my tires with weights as close as I can get before installing the wheel, I have literally spent 2 hours balancing one tire, because I want it perfect. Ride-On will stop a leak as long as the tire is turning, and that itself is worth a lot, especially if you have an air source. It will get you home. I have not actually had any problems with it. I won't put it into a new tire unless/until I have a flat, just on the off chance that I might actually wear a tire out without having a flat. It has happened. I always carry a portable compressor with me, as well as a tire plug kit.

Ride-On, as well as any other sealant is completely worthless in a tube type tire.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,200 Posts
imported post

JMO, but I don't want anything in my tires until a leak starts to become a problem.

Then, in goes the goop to get me home.
Then, depending on the type of tire injury, I may replace the tire... Or just ride it out...

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Oh, I'm not doubting Ride-On seals holes, I played with the demo tire on a rim and put a lot of holes in it too ....and I too thought it just ran down to the lowest part when stopped. I even thought that when I changed tires, I'ld use a hole saw to cut a hole in the tire and poor remaining portion out to re-use. Haha.

Both my tires were well coated inside all around bead to bead with it and I put in exactly what the paper said.

The "balance" it will do is same exact principle as balancing beads, Centramatics, AF, etc. I didn't rely on it for that purpose, but it does it just the same.

Those white puffy spots around the rim (see picture below) were likely where the tire deflated some and the bead loosened and Riode-On tried to seal it. I think the Ride-On likely prevented my from having a fast air leak from the stem base ... but then the metal tire valves I put in should eliminate that possibility in the future.

I never expected to see the whole inside of the rim coated with Ride On. I was so busy and all, forgot to take photos while cleaning it up .... but next time I change the tire on the trike I'll get a chance.

:thumbsup:

I actually just got in a supply of two different lengths of metal stems enough to do the trike, a trailer for my truck, both trucks, the Merc, wifes Subaru, and both T-Birds.I know that there are a lot of "China" made ones out there with rubber that has no resistance to UV, I had to replace all 4 less than a year after installing them on my '95 T-Bird when I saw the severe cracking.

I don't think they make them in Highhpoint, NC anylonger?:sadguy:

Anyway, I'm not "down" on "Ride-On", I'm just re-evaluating it's use as pertains to me.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

I have never felt comfortable with goo in my tires. That's just me. I have used Fix A Flat in emergencies, but that's about it. Sounds like if you want a perfect balance, and don't mind the eventual mess, it's a plausable product. jimsjinx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.