Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Buddy and I are planning a trip next month and would like some route suggestions to stay off the interstate system as much as possible.

Leaving Saginaw, Michigan headed to ride the tail of the dragon south to north then we'd like to head for Maine and do the coast up into New Brunswick and head back to Michigan via Quebec andOntario. Crossing back into the states at Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan.

We want to avoid large cities, New York, Boston, Philly etc. We're both retired and have 2-3 weeks to fill.

If you live in Ohio, N. Carolina, Virginia, New York, Pennsylvania, Mass, N.H. Vt or Maine. I'd like to hear of some routes thru your area or suggestions of places to stay. If your one of the Canadian riders in New Brunswick, Quebec or Ontario some suggestions for routes to avoid the cities would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Im in NC and the obvious scenic rout would be the Blue Ridge Parkway, then Ski Line Drive up through Va.

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
imported post

If it fits into your time-frame, check out the meet n greet in Front Royal, WV. It's the entrance/exit on the north end of the Sky-Line drive. Info is in the "EVENTS" section.

Supposed to be a few Canadian members there you could trip plan with... :gunhead:

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

jobe05 wrote:
Im in NC and the obvious scenic rout would be the Blue Ridge Parkway, then Ski Line Drive up through Va.
Its a scam! Don't listen to him! :badgrin:

When I flew down to Georgia to pick up my '97 2 years ago I thought I'd take the Blue Ridge Parkway on my way north. And then I met Sean (SB in SC) at a coffee shop in South Carolina and he told me all about how the troopers sit on the inside of curves along the BRP and nab unsuspecting tourists. Sean then mapped out a route for me that avoided the BRP and I must admit, those were some of the nicest roads I've ridden in the U.S.A.. No traffic, lots of twisties and I never saw a single trooper. :action: Thanks again, Sean!

I'd tell you where they are but I had to swear an oath of secrecy before he'd tell me. :readit:
But, then again, you weren't askin' me! :sadguy: I'm just a flat-lander Canadian not from any of those states or provinces.

Truthfully, the BRP and Skyline are great roads that you have to do at least once (done them 3 times myself). But those out-of-the-way, off the beaten path roads are often the real gems.

Sounds like fun, and I'm more than a bit envious. :byebye:

·
It aint rocket science
3,921 Posts
imported post

If you guys are going through CT at all I would suggest picking up Route 202 anywhere north of Danbury, CT. Follow this road through CT, MA and into NH where you are a short distance from the White Mountains of NH. Includes MT Washington.

If you are taking a more west-east route through MA, then it would be route 2 (Mohawk Trail) then north to the White Mountains, continue east into ME.

Mostly all small towns easily traveled with great views.

JD

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

But, then again, you weren't askin' me! :sadguy: I'm just a flat-lander Canadian not from any of those states or provinces.

Truthfully, the BRP and Skyline are great roads that you have to do at least once (done them 3 times myself). But those out-of-the-way, off the beaten path roads are often the real gems.

Sounds like fun, and I'm more than a bit envious. :byebye:
wpgfire: your welcome to come ride with us. I'll be doing Western Ontario, Manitoba, Sask and Alberta next summer. Son lives in Medicine Hat.

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

DriverRider wrote:
If you guys are going through CT at all I would suggest picking up Route 202 anywhere north of Danbury, CT. Follow this road through CT, MA and into NH where you are a short distance from the White Mountains of NH. Includes MT Washington.

If you are taking a more west-east route through MA, then it would be route 2 (Mohawk Trail) then north to the White Mountains, continue east into ME.

JD
Thanks DR, thats the type of information I'm looking for, we may well be doing CT and that looks like a nice ride.

·
It aint rocket science
3,921 Posts
imported post

45/70fan wrote:
DriverRider wrote:

JD
Thanks DR, thats the type of information I'm looking for, we may well be doing CT and that looks like a nice ride.
Following the old state roads can be confusing at times due to highways that have bisected them. You will also cross a bridge on the CT River in MA that is not 202.

With proper maps and planning the night before, all is good.:)

JD

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

jobe05 wrote:
+1 on this. Sky line drive is beautiful and very curvy. :thumbsup: Front Royal at the northern end of skyline drive has some good campgrounds and we are having a meet and greet there on the first weekend of October (Sep 30 - Oct 2) if your in the area then. :) highway 33 is a good ride as well, but that's more east/west. I'd be glad to make a trip over to the mountains for some coffee if I'm not working. When are you planning on being in the VA area?

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

pcfix_3 wrote:
jobe05 wrote:
+1 on this. Sky line drive is beautiful and very curvy. :thumbsup: Front Royal at the northern end of skyline drive has some good campgrounds and we are having a meet and greet there on the first weekend of October (Sep 30 - Oct 2) if your in the area then. :) highway 33 is a good ride as well, but that's more east/west. I'd be glad to make a trip over to the mountains for some coffee if I'm not working. When are you planning on being in the VA area?
Leaving Michigan on the 10th of Sep. planning on two days to reach Cherokee, N.C. then a couple of day on the Parkway at least so we will be in the VA area around the 15th.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
imported post

Sounds like a fun trip, how many miles do ya figure on going total?

·
Premium Member
20,585 Posts
imported post

Last year some of us Rhinos took US 62 through Ohio heading to NASSIR 4 in Hamburg, NY. I never knew until that trip that there was so much beautiful country until you got off the interstate. US 62 goes through the Amish country, lots of twisties, and a tree covering like a tunnel across the complete road.

Good for you though, we try to stay off the interstate on our trips when we can, yes it takes more time but the sights are awesome!

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Biker John wrote:
Sounds like a fun trip, how many miles do ya figure on going total?
About the same as you!

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
imported post

Troopers hiding on the inside of curves on the BRP? There's not enough shoulder to place a car off road except for the scenic pull offs. Rode it North to South and never saw a single officer. Wouldn't worry about that aspect of it.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
imported post

One of the more picturesque trips along the Atlantic Coast (although not very long) is Rte 1A in New Hampshire. Start in Seabrook at the junction of Routes 286 and 1A. Head north on Rte 1A through Seabrook, Hampton, North Hampton, Rye & historic Portsmouth. The coastline in Maine is very jagged and the best views of the ocean require lots of side trips and time off the main drags.

Brown's seafood on Rte 286 on the left before the intersection of 286 and 1A is a great place for lobster, steamed clams or deep fried sea food. The Beach Plum on Rte 1A across from North Hampton beach is famous for it's stuffed lobster roll (a bit pricey, but you get what you pay for!).

Both New Hampshire & Maine have lots of twisty, hilly, scenic and lonely roads. A nice ride if you do decide to go up through New Hamphire and the White Mountains is to do the seacoast ride in NH, do a 360 degree turn at the rotary (round-about) before entering Portsmouth, head back south down Rte 1A (it takes on a whole new look), take a right onto Route 101, head west and grab Route 107 north. As you enter into the city of Laconia, switch over to Route 106 north. It will take you through downtown Laconia (a short ride). Follow 106 north up to Rte 3. Follow Rte 3 north. You will pass along the shore of Lake Winnipesaukee, NH's largest lake. Continue traveling north up Route 3. At Woodstock, you can either take Route 112 east through Lincoln and onto the Kangamangus Highway through the White Mountain National Forest and out to Route 16 or continue on Route 3 north through NH's Franconia Notch. At the north end of Franconia Notch you could take Route 302 east through the Mount Washington valley and out to Route 16. Take Route 16 north through Pinkham Notch, between Mount Washington and Wildcat Mountain. Follow Route 16 north along the Androscoggin River valley. Stop at the general store in Errol, NH. Continue on Route 16 east into Maine. (watch for moose - there will be plenty of warning signs) Follow it all the way out to Route 201 and the Kennebec River valley. The Bingham Motel is a clean, inexpensive place to stay. Ask the owner's to see their hunting trophies from around the world. You can take Route 201 north along the Kennebec River up into Canada and follow good roads up to Quebec City or you can weave your way east through Maine. A good route is Maine's Route 6 which you can pick up off Route 201 in Jackman. It will take you pass Maine's Moosehead Lake, the largest in-state lake east of the Mississippi ... just a suggestion. Send me a PM a few days ahead and I will try to get time off to accompany you through the area.

Jack

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.