Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Left ay 5 this morning, 28 degrees out and the farther north I go the colder it gets. What fool packs the liner to his jacket..... I usually get about 45 to 47 on the highway doing 60 to 65 but in the cold..... 37.7 so far. Suns coming up now so we'lll see if it gets better as the day progress

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,486 Posts
imported post

It's a nice balmy 27F here at my house but,, it's supposed to warm up to about 60F so it should be some nice riding later on today! Yer MPG is down to 37.7?? I think the main reason for that is yer going uphill!!!:cool::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

jobe05 wrote:
Left ay 5 this morning, 28 degrees out and the farther north I go the colder it gets. What fool packs the liner to his jacket.....
I might know one :ROFL:

Hope you get warm and have a good ride.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Should be close to 60 today.

Not as cold tonight and tomorrow.

Travel safe.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

520 miles later....... I'm here!

Was very cold till the sun came up, then it wasn't bad. I asked what fool packs the lining to his jacket....... Well what bigger fool stops at his coffee shop at 5:30 in the morning to get re-dressed for the weather, and DOESN'T MAKE HIMSELF A CUP OF COFFEE TO GO,,,,!!!!!

Trip was uneventful, great ride.

But the object of my post was two fold....... To find the fool.......DONE!
And to see the effects of cold on gas mileage. Cold definitely has a major effect. As the hours ticked by, and the temp rose, could see my mpg improve, but not to what it was last trip, which was 44.5 mpg. This trip, the whole ride averaged 41.5. Started at 37.7, went to 38.8 as the sun crested the mountains and the best was 42.7, except for a 30 mile stretch of white concrete road on 81 in Pa when I got 44.6 doing 70 ish.......

I can also honestly say, that I was on the throttle a lot less this trip that the last trip...... I mean..... I was frozen stiff halfe the trip.....

Pretty surprised the changes in temps could have that much of an effect on MPG.

·
Just one of the guys
4,805 Posts
imported post

Not only the temp difference but they are also selling the winter formula for gas now. I don't know what is different about it except that it drops mileage by 10 to 15% in lots of vehicles.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

Glad you made it safe.
Hope you have a warmer ride back home when the time comes.

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

The extra cost in MPG is from all the icicles you were carrying, water is heavy don't you know.......:D

·
Premium Member
3,486 Posts
imported post

IdahoRaider wrote:
The extra cost in MPG is from all the icicles you were carrying, water is heavy don't you know.......:D
I still say it's because he was going uphill.....:cool:

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

My son is taking chemo treatments so my wife and I take turns coming up and pester.......... I mean, taking care of him.

He lives in downing town Pa.

Edit: ok Don, I'm gonna go with your theory......... But on the way home I'm gonna be expecting above average economy because I'll be going downhill........

·
Premium Member
3,486 Posts
imported post

jobe05 wrote:
My son is taking chemo treatments so my wife and I take turns coming up and pester.......... I mean, taking care of him.

Edit: ok Don, I'm gonna go with your theory......... But on the way home I'm gonna be expecting above average economy because I'll be going downhill........
Hey.. I haven't let ya down yet have I??!!!!:cheeky1::cheeky1: My best wishes for you andyour family while your son's going through this....

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

roscoepc wrote:
jobe05 wrote:

Hey.. I haven't let ya down yet have I??!!!!:cheeky1::cheeky1:  My best wishes for you and your family while your son's going through this....
Good point!

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
imported post

Well wishes to your son and for your ride back jobe05
:11brown:

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Thanks winger82 and everyone for the well wishes.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Well.... 1048 miles later and Im back home. Actually, other than a little rain in Va., it was a great day for a ride. Once again the bike performed flawlessly. The temps seemed a little more stable and the air adjustable suspension performed without any problems, and the readings seemed to be realistic and held true all the way home.

I was however a little let down on the fuel economy...... 41.6 average.....

I was led to believe by someone who never let me down that I would get great fuel economy due to now traveling down hill. Based on this reassurance..... I got on it a little and rode it hard (80 ish) all the way home........... Figured it wouldn't matter.... Im now going down hill......

·
Premium Member
3,486 Posts
imported post

jobe05 wrote:
I was however a little let down on the fuel economy...... 41.6 average.....

I was led to believe by someone who never let me down that I would get great fuel economy due to now traveling down hill. Based on this reassurance..... I got on it a little and rode it hard (80 ish) all the way home........... Figured it wouldn't matter.... Im now going down hill......

Well..... Let us reason this out.... Initial post= 37.7mpg.. Quoted post= 41.6mpg @ 80 ish mph... Now,, I don't think that's too bad but.....

If you take the square root of 6 devided by the common denomenator of 2 wheels, multiplied by Pi squared 3 times, bearing in mind the propergravitational quotient at the designated longitude/latitude, plus wind speed, @ 65mph you would have gotton 56.382634mpg......

:cool::coollep::coollep:

But that's only a rough estimate.....:shock::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Actually, for the riding I was doing, I was rather pleased with the gas mileage, I was riding it pretty hard all the way.

For some reason, I get a lot better mileage riding 2 up with luggage. No matter what I did going to the dragon and back, I for the most part got over 45 MPG, one in a while under slower, stop and go it would dip down to 43 or even 42.

I am just very pleased with this bike, it's awesome!

Now for a new set of tires so it will handle better when it snows.....

May even go to Georgia this weekend to see mu Aunt I haven't been down to see all summer...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.