Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Weather permitting (and it looks pretty good at this time) we will leave Tampa at 3am and ride to Titusville in an attempt to see the shuttle lift off, I have tried 5 times and the launch has always been scrubbed for one reason or another.

There are only a couple of launches left. We will arrive and hopefully be in position at 7:17 am when Endeavour heads towards the International space station and I will fulfill a life long ambition to see a launch.

Afterward we will visit Ron Jon's surf shop on Coco beach and take a more leisurely ride back to the west coast.

Peter

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
imported post

I hope you get to see it. I've always wanted to see/feel a launch. Good luck, may the weather and mechanical gods be good to go for a launch!

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,505 Posts
imported post

I used to be able to see the launches from my house in Pierson. Even 100 miles away it wasreally something to see!! Also sometimes if the conditions were right, I could hear the rumble from the launch!!

I really hope you get to watch the launch!!

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
imported post

A couple of launches ago, my wife got on the internet and was able to pick up Nasas' internal communications. The chatter pre-launch was incredible. They were trying to move ships out in he Atlantic hundreds of miles away just in case they had to ditch it. If the ships didn't get moved, the launch would be delayed. I like watching the launches on DTV's Nasa channel. Ground to ship communications. No network BS.

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
imported post

Peterbylt wrote:
Weather permitting (and it looks pretty good at this time) we will leave Tampa at 3am and ride to Titusville in an attempt to see the shuttle lift off,

Peter 
That would be cool. Now you have everybody jealous! :cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

I wish I could join you.. We're doing an early birthday for my soon to be eight year old grandson. His real BD is July 7th, but he will be in West "by gawd" Virginia with his other grandparents for that day. So he gets two parties!
Keep and eye out for my brother over there, he's going.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
imported post

Color me GREEN with envy.... I have a poster of the original launch from when I was a kid my Uncle picked up for me when he was down there in the '80's. I have a great love for the space program. (You should have seen me a couple of years ago when Spaceship 1 went up, can't wait to see regular commercial space flight..) That being said, if you see a fully customized white with hand pinstriped Harley, with matching trailer sitting around there wave for me. One of the guys I ride with headed out last weekend to get down there for the launch.

Hope it works out so you can see it this time.

Never forget, for us watching a Shuttle launch it is a really cool experience, for those sitting in the Shuttle it is still Life and Death....

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

wing dingwhat did the other half go into to get the chatter theres no hope of us seeing the launch but we have seen the shuttle flying over even it be just a bright star would love to listen to the pre launch

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

I witnessed the launch that carried Sally Ride into space. What an awesome event. I promise you, you will not ever forget it! The vibration from the power of the rocket is so great, the ground trembles even after the shuttle has disappeared from view.

Bernie

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

I am disappointed, The launch was scrubbed a little after midnight due to a hydrogen leak. Fortunately I checked the NASA web site before driving over.

One other time we drove over only to find the launch had been scrubbed the previous day.

So, I am going back to bed and we will take a ride somewhere in the morning.

I can't say I blame them Hydrogencan be pretty nasty stuff. I read somewhere that getting a shuttle into space is one of the most complicated processes ever attempted by man.

I will have to see if I can make it over for the rescheduled launch whenever that is.

Peter

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
imported post

if you get any imformation on the new launch time let us know,we might have to take a ride south. we have seen a day launch ,but i have been waiting for a night weekend launch

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

The launch was rescheduled for Wed at 5:40 am, I asked and my Boss said," Go for it." The weather looked good we prepped the bike for a 2 am lift off from Tampa. Went to bed at 9 pm got up at 1:30 am.

We were sitting on the bike all ready to go when fortunately I decided to check the NASA website.

The launch had been scrubbed just minutes earlier at 1:55 due to the same Hydrogen leak that they apparently had not fixed from Saturday.

Good thing I checked, SO now I sit here at 2:30 am WIDE AWAKE :shock:Maybe I will just go out for a ride. I will probably try to sleep and go to work in the morning so as not to use a vacation day.

They could probably use a few of the technical people from this board over there to get that fuel leak fixed, I wonder if Sea Foam will work on a leaky Hydrogen valve.

In this case I can't say, " Its not Rocket science."

Peter

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

A Hydrogen Leak in the same place on two different days? I would not want to take that ride up.
Nightrider1

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,505 Posts
imported post

Nightrider1 wrote:
A Hydrogen Leak in the same place on two different days? I would not want to take that ride up.
Nightrider1
I'd jump on it in a second!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
imported post

Yes, why not? You've got to go sometime.:waving:

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Yea, I heard on the morning news the flight got scrubbed till next month, bummer.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

Scrubbed again rats. Hope all goes well next month.

FYI,
On a clear day or night we can see the launch from Sarasota (60 degrees from our location). Summer launches usually are not great do to the clouds and such, but winter launches have been really great including days.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.