Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Village Whack Job...
7,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

So a recent thread that is kinda starting to get a little tense, got me to thinking about ride videos in general.

And I realized that I have very mixed feelings about them. And for what it's worth i'll explain why.

The Pros;

Just about everyone enjoys watching them, good videos, bad videos, videos of stupid stunts, of great displays of riding skill, of close calls...whatever the flavor we all enjoy watching them.

They can be VERY helpful in teaching new riders about the joy, risk, danger, responsibilities and advantages of riding. They can be examples of how to do it right, or how to do wrong, and everything in between.

They are just the greatest thing since forks when for whatever reason you can't get out and ride on your own. Helping us stay sane through those long winter months.

The Cons;

They encourage stupidity. Some guy puts up a video of himself doing a 75mph wheelie. Well the next guy has to top that by doing a 75mph "flying Jesus". And that has to be topped by the next guy doing a 90mph "skitch". And the next guy has to turn around in the seat and ride backwards at 110mph. Well you see the trait right?

Distraction (and I think this one is probably the worst). You're fiddling with the camera trying to show the viewer the scenery, or turning so they can see your face with the goofy bug eating grin on it. Or, and this kinda goes back to the stupidity thing, your mind is on making a good video instead of on being a responsible rider. You know the camera is rolling so you push the envelope to show off.

feeding into attention seeking behavior. Some guys are only making and posting the vids for attention. Again this kind of ties into stupidity. A guy uploads a short video of himself on a nice easy stretch of road with little traffic. All his buddies tell him what a great video it is. All his forum friends tell him what a great job he did on it. he likes the attention so he goes out trying to make a longer video, or trying to get more angles, more scenery, more speed, more...attention. next thing you know this guy is flying along at 65mph with one hand on the bars and a camera in the other trying to focus the dang thing on a sunset, or a lake or a bird flying overhead or...well anything but the road...and traffic...in front of him.

I'm not trying to bash ride videos all together. Like I said they have their merits. But...well I guess I'm just acknowledging the double edged sword they really are.

The other reason i started a new thread with this instead of posting it in the thread that sparked the thought? Well I wanted to to be it's own thought, so as not to be taken as directed at anyone in particular. Didn't want to be any more offensive with it than I've already been.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Not that I disagree with you Broke, but as far as my feelings about it.. I'm not the world's mama. If someone want's to go out and take risks or whatever, then as long as they don't do it in my name or because I watched it, by all means. Live it up guys.

I cringe and often fail to laugh when I see people obviously getting hurt on AFV. That show does as much as possible to encourage people to do stupid stuff.

I hate to see people get hurt. Especially the innocent. But if some guy want's to jump Glenn Canyon on his $$$$$$ rice burner, then hey, it's his money and it actually does help the economy, indirectly, assuming he goes and buys another bike and lives, of course.

It's hard to be raised poor (or relatively so) and watch people able to afford to waste stuff. But those are their life cards. Not mine.

It ain't envy but it sure looks stupid from here sometimes.

At least by making vids of it, I get to watch, be entertained and sometimes educated without having to be directly involved.

I do enjoy ride videos but after a very short time, they all seem very similar to me.
Straight, curve, straight, stop, go, stright, sun at side, sun at back... etc etc.
That's why I like the different music added.

Besides, videos take away part of the discovery you hope to find yourself. I'd hate to do all my traveling on YouTube.

It's like Europe after 900 hours of Rick Steves's videos.

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
imported post

I like watching the videos:action:

It's better than re-runs on television.

as far as the pros and cons, it's their hide and their bike and I haven't been elected for motorcycle riding sheriff.:waving:

·
Bob Cassel
386 Posts
imported post

I don't usually chime in on opinion pieces, but I will here: Idiots are born, not inspired. Someone who would decide to go to extremes to do a real "idiot" video would do the same thing if there was no video. Idiots are born, not made.

Now, with that said, let's look at the self image that the "idiot video" creator has. If this is his/her only claim to fame, well, I guess that fulfills his/her need and let's hope that their fulfillment doesn't come at the expense of us having to pay to keep him/her on life support for 50 years.

I recently got a ThumbCam to shoot ride videos. My intent was to shoot a video and then post it to ask the question: What can I do to improve my riding style or ability. What did I miss seeing, where could I have taken that line better.

Driving in a car and improving is easy, a coach can sit with you and coach. Not the same on a bike.

Okay, I've had my say.

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
imported post

In the words of Forrest Gump.."Stupid is as stupid does".
You certainly won't see me trying any of those stunts...and I don't even know what a Flying Jesus or a Skitch is! It must be some of that young and dumb, crotch rocket lingo. :baffled:

·
Administrator
26,157 Posts
imported post

I have just bought a video recorder to use on rides. My reason is a recent post about the guy trying to run bikes off the road. The guy on a bike behind him got the video and the fool went to jail. I figure if I video all or most of my ride and something like that does happen I can get another jerk off the road for a time. If it happens I get some good riding video then I can post it for others enjoyment. I was kind of gun shy about getting a camera because most of the videos I saw ended in disaster.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
I have just bought a video recorder to use on rides. My reason is a recent post about the guy trying to run bikes off the road. The guy on a bike behind him got the video and the fool went to jail. I figure if I video all or most of my ride and something like that does happen I can get another jerk off the road for a time. If it happens I get some good riding video then I can post it for others enjoyment. I was kind of gun shy about getting a camera because most of the videos I saw ended in disaster.
+1 to the above and most all the comments above.

On long trips I have 3 cameras with me that can record over 6 hours of video. With the cameras generally mounted to my dash, they are pretty concealed and other cagers don't usually see it. When I ride with my GoPro attached to the top of my helmet, I never have cars cut me off by pulling in front of me, turning in front of me or getting on my butt. But if one does decide to and causes the accident, I will be prepared!

·
Bob Cassel
386 Posts
imported post

Now I'm just trying to get my ThumbCam mounted so it doesn't vibrate like the dickens

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Try mounting it on your helmet, it has a good shock absorber as well as the ability to see side to side. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Thanks for defining the Skitch.

If I ever lose 70 IQ points and decide to try it, I've made a note to check that the road doesn't curve/end in the near future. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.