Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Is my '98 Goldwingthe only one that sputtersfor thefirst mileafter the normal warm up period?:(

I letthe bikerev on its own to 2500 rpm with the choke full on; then release the choke graduallyuntil it idles quietly. This takes about 3-4 minutes....but it never fails that at take off and for the firstmile on the road, the bike sputters and cant seem to get power.

I took the biketo a dealershipfor the 24K service last week; he said everything is fine yet this problem continues. Dealer said most GL 1500s have this problem. He said the carbs doNOT need to be cleaned. He recommended continuing my usual warm up to 2500 rpm and then after 4 minutes or so starting on the road with the choke half on...disengaging choke as I go along. He also recommended using the highest octane fuel;and widening/re-jetting the fuel jets if I am willing to give up gas mileage.

Will it harm the bike to ride it with choke engaged at the beginning? Is this the answer?? Thanks youin advance... Brian

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

"all 1500s do this" is rubbish.

Your startup procedure is normal, ie full choke straight away and half choke for a couple of minutes. You will find that getting the barbs balanced will most likely fix this problem. Most dealers don't bother balancing the carbs at service time so get that done (make sure you have a new air filter fitted first).

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks a lot, Jason!I hope you are still out there...:)

Would you be so kind as togive me an ideawhy the carb balancing would eliminate this problem of sputtering immediately after warm up... The dealerhas told me the carb balancing was completed during the 24K service... but I feel like I am getting a line. Thanks Jason...Brian

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

This will be a quick reply for now as I'm just out the door to work. The 1500 carbs need balancing every 5000 miles. When they go out of synch it causes problems, don't forget each carb is pulling 3 cylinders so an out of synch carb on the 1500 has a much higher effect than a carb going out on a multi-carb setup.

If the carbs are not balanced (or balanced on the wrong part of the scale, even worse) you will get spluttering. It's the first thing you need to check anyway before going anywhere else.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Ok, I'll have to take it to another dealer to have the carb balance checked out.

Jason, I'm curious why the lack of carbbalance creates the sputtering only for the first 30 seconds of driving after warm up. Why not during the entire ride?

Brian

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
imported post

Brian, Out of balance carbs can cause lots of problems such as intermittent spluttering, cutting out, flat spots, surging etc. and not neccessarily all the time. I think Jason is telling you that before you dig deeper you really must balance the carburettors first anyway. It's the essential first step (after making sure you have good plugs & air filter of course).

In our bike shop when tracking fuel related running problems, balancing the carbs is what we do first if the carbs are suspect.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks, Jason.... Scooter.

Thanks for the education; I will let you know how it all turns out. Bless ya and safe riding.

Brian

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

I live in the same climate as you and I don't have nearly as many problems with my 1200. I use 3/4 choke for 30 seconds to a minute when it reaches 3000 rpm,then half choke for another minute then the choke goes off. It idles at 1000 rpm until it's fully warmed up then sits at just under 1200 rpm.

Getting the carbs balanced makes sense to me as well. Hope they just need to be balanced and not cleaned.

Good Luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.