Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Wondering if any of you have ever had a pair of Alpine star Roam boots? I have been thinking about buying me a pair. Ido A lot of winter riding and would like a pair that keep my feet dry and maybe a little more comfortable than a lace up boot. If you have another suggestion on what you find works for you let me know.

Thank you

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
imported post

I guess this comes under the heading of "another suggestion" :smiler:

My current boot is the Alpinestars Ridge, which looks like a little brother to the Roam. It is very waterproof and even though I have a very high instep, they are relatively easy to slip on and arecomfortable enough to walk in.

I used to wear large boots but when I started riding the 1500 I found a big boot was too cumbersome with the touring bike controls,but the Alpinestars Ridge makes shifting and breaking very controlled.

When it comes time to replace these boots, I'll be looking for the same thing.

regards,

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Both my Alpinestars and Vetter boots zip on the inside and then velcro flaps cover the zippers. They hit me about mid-calf and are leather.

The Alpinestars SOHO is comparable to my GP boots. My Vetter boots fit the best though.

Both are water-proof as long as I maintain 'em to be that way.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

I go with the Chippewa 17" high engineer boots. Their a pretty durable and comfortable set of boots. They're about 200-250 though, and until they get good and broke in shifting is a *****.

·
Pwhoever
3,181 Posts
imported post

Here's my personal favorite

I got them HERE at Dicks sporting goods for around $80 on sale. They are my everyday all around boots. They are completely waterproof and I find them very easy to wear when riding my bike.I wear a size 12 and never had an issue shifting or braking....They also have thinsulate. I haven't had a chance to wear them in the winter as I got them in the spring but they seem identical to a Cabela's brand boot (6-point) that I used for the last couple years. And those were waterproof as well. When wearing heavy wool socks in the winter, I was very comfortable. I would have bought another pair of the Cabela's ones but they stopped offering them with the thinsulate. The thinsulate never caused a problem even on the hottest of days but helped out atremendously in the winter.

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

CaptainMidnight85 wrote:
Both my Alpinestars and Vetter boots zip on the inside and then velcro flaps cover the zippers. They hit me about mid-calf and are leather.

The Alpinestars SOHO is comparable to my GP boots. My Vetter boots fit the best though.

Both are water-proof as long as I maintain 'em to be that way.
Are you just useing a mink oil on them or treating the seams with a spay on product?

The only rideing boot I have ever owed other than just a lace up work boot to ride in is a moto cross boot and those days are long gone.:DFoot controls to me are a pain in the rear in a heavy boot as mentioned by Greg and Carol.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

I do use a mink oil on my boots. I've a process, but yes mink oil is the top coat.

Both my Alpinestars and Vetter boots look pretty good as casual boots.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

I have been buying Alpinestars for years. Well made and priced reasonably.

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

I've worn all different types over 40 years of riding, and I finally found some that are comfortable to wear all day, have great grip, and are not a pain in the butt to get on or off. Ariat Motor boots.

http://www.ariat.com/Motor/Men/Motor/AlloyPullon.html

Gene:action:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i dont wear boots they are hot cumbersom, heavy and uncomfortable

i wear tennis shoes they breath well are light and keep my feet cool

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

peterbilt wrote:

Tennis shoesalso can let your feet get torn up in an accident, broken ankles, messed up toes, get hung up on shifters. I've worn boots in 120 degree weather, with proper socks, a little foot powder, and good boots, (not el-cheapo) I've never had a problem. Of course for about 23 years, I wore boots every day in every kind of climate.:smiler:

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

peterbilt wrote:

I see your point but it's the cold wet part trying to shed. Most of my rideing gets done in the winter months.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

thats what i have mighty is a pair of magnum shoes they are the most comfortable shoes ive ever owned tho the tread on the bottom is about wore out

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

well gllester the last thing i'll be worrying about if i ever get into a wreck is how pretty my toenails end up as

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

peterbilt wrote:
well gllester the last thing i'll be worrying about if i ever get into a wreck is how pretty my toenails end up as
That great to hear, because I have a friend in Texas with an artificial foot due to a motorcycle accident where his foot got caught under the peg and shifter when he put his bike down and because of the soft tennis shoes he was wearing, slipped and drove his foot under the peg and it basically tore his foot loose. A decent pair of boots could had saved his left foot. Now he shifts with a electric shifter. But he wears boots too, now.:smiler: Remember, tennis shoes are worthless on oil spots, and pea gravel, and leaves.:smiler:

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Riding boots? Special purpose riding boots? $250 and up? Stuff and nonsense! Here's my favorite riding boots, left to right.....

Old hiking boot (yard sale, 25 cents!), Tanker Boot (left over from my 19 Echo days, WANG! Ft. Lewis PX, $29!), and a pair of Wally World Wellingtons (about $45). I was wearing the Wally World when Red and I lost a wrestling match with a deer...when I woke up, the toes of the Wallys were ground down to the steel cap, but my pinkies were fine....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
imported post

My most favorite ever are Merrell Tundra. They're not easy to find, so you have to search online for them, but they are the greatest! They look good, and they are very confortable. They're slip ons, but you can hike in them.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
imported post

peterbilt wrote:

You must never have seen an accident where the shoes get ripped right of the rider. I have, more than once.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.