Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Some may know that I am a deputy Sheriff for a Sheriff's Office in Kansas, today I was sent to an accident involving a motorcycle that was running at a very high rate of speed. It was Suzuki Hayabusa (zoom/splat) which was passing everyone in sight, estimate that he was traveling in excess of 100 mph when he tried to pass between two vehicles traveling down the NB side of interstate, he tried to go between as one vehicle was passing a U-haul. He slammed into the back of a U-haul trailer as he tried to pass between the two vehicles. He will be forever 19 years old. He was wearing shorts, t-shirt and no helmet, massive head injury. He was air lifted to a Kansas City hospital where he was pronounced brain dead and will be taken off life support tomarrow.

I have been working these types of accidents for over 29 years now and I can never make sence of what this person was thinking. It reminds me that everytime I get on my wing, I have all the proper safety equipment as well as riding with comon sence.

My heart goes out to his family, for I am sure he will be missed and was loved.

This is one thing I will not miss when I retire in 11 months.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Randy

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

At that age your indispensable, to young for anything to happen........ I know I lived with that attitude when I was young, I just didn't have the toys available to me to help with my demise.

Mt heart goes out to the family.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

I have been working these types of accidents for over 29 years now and I can never make sence of what this person was thinking.

I used to be on a volunteer fire department. It is a major reality check after you have been to a auto/bike accident. You see some really strange & gory stuff. One strange one was: the first frosty evening of the Fall, a driver lost control of his car, spun around & backed into a guard rail. The guard rail came through his trunk, his back seat, his front seat (along side his shoulder) & out the windshield. He walked away, but I'm sure he had to throw away his shorts when he got home.

After accidents, I find myself (subconsciously) driving with a lot more caution.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Geez, I hate to hear stories like that. Kids of that age think they are invincible, and I can't say I didn't sort of feel that way when I was that age. I raced MX, kept getting hurt, and kept going back. But I have to say I never did anything like that guy did. I learned from the very beginning that the street is a lot more dangerous than off road, even an MX track. One tiny mistake can be the end. Whether you make it or someone else does. I certainly feel for his family, they are probably wondering the same thing, why? I have a daughter his age.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
imported post

Condolences not only for his family, but fir those that were innocently involved and whose lives will be forever altered.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

Several years ago the couple we were meeting for dinner was late. When they did get there she relayed the following story. She was the trauma care liason for a major local hospital. A case had been care-flighted in to hospital at the last minute. Motorcycle collision with car. The rider had hit the side of a car square and had flipped the car. The rider was thrown over the car and the car rolled over on top of the rider laying in the street. He too was going a high rate of speed and the car was a compact of some variety. The rider was pronounced dead at the hospital. This was a city street not a highway.

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

Sorry to hear of the loss of another rider..................

It's not just youngsters that think this way. I know a deputy sherrif that rides and I saw him, with my own eyes riding in shorts, flipflops and a helmet tied to his backrest. This guy is older than me. I should have caught him in a corner and let him have it but I was too busy that day. It just baffles my why anyone, knowing the inherent dangers of motorcycling would not want to fully protect themselves, especially if you have a family that loves you........

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
imported post

Randy,

I worked as an EMT at U.S.Steel in Gary, Indiana for 5 years. I saw a great deal of trauma myself and a couple of the fatalities still pop in my mind from time to time even 24 years later. What I dealt with were truly accidents. In retrospect, avoidable, but still accidents. I suppose it's very frustrating when the accident was due to such reckless abandon. Still, hate to hear that a young life was lost.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
imported post

Two lady riders riding alone were killed in the Lewiston/Auburn, Maine area this past month. Two completely different circumstances. Both were killed by careless auto drivers pulling in front of them.

I used to own a Freightliner tractor trailer and when I went to CDL school one of the questions they asked was "Who was at fault in this situation"? The answer was always the tractor trailer driver. The school tried to impress upon our minds that it was us that had to be the one that stayed alert 100 percent of the time. If you can see the other guy than its your fault if you get in an accident with him/her. I drove tractor trailers with that in mind and now I ride my bike the same way. My prayers go out to anyone that gets killed, car or motorcycle.

Harold

·
Bruce County Boy/Snowbird
1,707 Posts
imported post

Randy

Sorry you had to see all this and do all the paperwork involved. Some people are just plain dumb..Driving like a Moron with no safety equipment on. A disaster waiting to happen. Thank goodness no one else was taken out..

I have been retired 12 years now and don't miss that crap at all.

·
Canada Bob
461 Posts
imported post

While the loss of another rider is a sad event, regardless of the stupidity of it, I feel for you and the scene you had to witness. Too often it is forgotten that the Police and other first responders are casualties of these events also. These accident scenes leave an impression on everyone involved.

Try to let it go and hug your loved ones. Thanks for what you do for all of us!:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
imported post

My condolences to the boy and his family. What a daft way to throw your life away.

I hope you can put all that sad stuff behind you Randy.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

I feel sorry for his family, I also hate when careless bike riders hit someone and kill other people just because they had to show off or do whatever they do.... It all just sucks!

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
imported post

notodd wrote:
I feel sorry for his family, I also hate when careless bike riders hit someone and kill other people just because they had to show off or do whatever they do.... It all just sucks!
Most of us done something stupid when we were younger, we were just lucky to survive and mature. That young rider wasn't as lucky as us. That's all it is, luck either with or against ya.
My prayers for his soul, and for his family who have to go on without that son.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

I know lots of responsible Hayabusa riders that use their mounts for significant Sport Touring. Calling it a zoom/splat is somewhat offensive to those that responsibly enjoy a sportier mount.

That said, stupidity does not know model or type. Lots of idiots on Cruisers, standards, and (yes) even Goldwings.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
imported post

"Most of us done something stupid when we were younger, we were just lucky to survive and mature".

How true. I did some crazy riding at night while riding a 1967 Bonneville in those days with a few drinks and if I rode a super powerful Suzuki bike I too might not have survived. Too much speed too fast and no real thought to stopping distances combined with youthfull invincibility and the results are all too familiar. I hate to say this but maybe there should be tiered licenseing system like in other countries until skill levels, training and maturity come into play. Sad time for family and relatives.

Take care, mike

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

After thousands of scenes like you decribed, I started bringing the stuff home with me. I got to where I couldn't shut it off anymore. I retired after about a year more of it. I still to this day remember most of the worst ones. The people, the gore, the senslessness of it. Nope, I don't miss it. God rest his soul, but how selfish of him to do this to his family. Adrenilin.the new drug. jimsjinx

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.