Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well I just finished the rider safety Course. I took it so I wouldn't have to take the DMV driving test on my Goldwing.
I rode for about 20 years and and haven't ridden for about 15 so I picked up an 81 GL1100I in July and have been fixing and riding and fixing and riding. It's a blast to be back on 2 wheels.
If anyone is thinking about taking the course it's a good idea and I would recommend it. especially if your like me and getting back in the saddle after some time off. It's a lot of the stuff I already knew but it just reinforces the safe and proper driving habits and I picked up a few new things.
And by the way I was the top in my class on the skill test.
This is a great site and I am glade to be part of it.

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
imported post

Congradulations

I took a ERC class over the summer and I was worth it.

The class was one day with 3 hours of class time and 5 hours of riding time, parking lot time.

The course let you know if you had any bad riding habits and let you hone in on the good ones.

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
imported post

keithg64 wrote

The course let you know if you had any bad riding habits and let you hone in on the good ones.

Thats the reason I do it.

Tim

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

It's also good for a deduction on your bike insurance!!!

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
imported post

Congratulations! I took it in June of this year. It's not the same course I took 20 years ago, but it was a refresher and a reminder of things you might have forgotten over time.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

I took the ERC course in May 2006, after buying my 1200. I had also been off a bike for a long time and wanted to re-hone my skills. I had a blast and have recommended it many many times to others, including a lot on this forum. Well worth it for anybody.

John

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

We took the BRC class this year and like others have said it was well worth it. It had been 30+ years since I last rode and then it was small dirt bikes not a goldwing :)

Ride Safe, Ray

:waving:

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
665 Posts
imported post

The Rider Safety Courses are the best! I took the ERC three years in a row in an attempt to make sure I was practicing the correct way to do things.

It was some of the best time I've spent.

Now it has been almost 3 years since my last course. I'm past due to do it again.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
imported post

So what is the cost of the Course in your hometown?

The course here in my little hometown is only 120 bucks?

My Wife is going this spring,she wants to start out onmy 1500 Vulcan for her first bike.

I'm not sure she can do it,she weighs 125 pounds but she thinks she can.

Actually other lady riders I have spoken with say it is easier to ride the bigger bike and they wished they would've started out on a bigger bike......

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

The cost here in California is $235 I think that is a lot but every course I called was the same. If your under 20 the cost is $150.
That seems like a big bike to start with but maybe it is easier starting out on a big bike.
I started out on a little Honda 160 when I was a kid.

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

The ERC, obviously, should be taken with the bike you are going to be riding...not someone else's.

I've done several courses on little 225cc- 650cc bikes & they were ridiculous easy. Not so easy with 1200cc+ bikes at low speed.

No need to practice for aBIG-RIG in a VW.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

We have a couple of motorcycle parts shops in the Sacramento area that sponor parking lot rider safety courses on several weekends. Prices range from donations to $25 and up to $250 if you're looking to get a cert. I've done a few and the last one I drove my pickup with the 12Wing, CBR and Honda 90 in the back. The 90 was the best ride but I flunked because I rode side saddle a bit and stood on one peg through the figure 8.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
imported post

The BRC course was $175 here in the Austin TX Area.

The ERC course is $60 rider and $20 for co-rider (same class)

Bastrop Motorcycle Training

They are scheduling an ERC class for December 6, 2008 now if your interested.

www.bastropmotorcycletraining.com

Good Luck

Daveo

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
imported post

The MSF Basic Riders course here in Illinois is $20, which is refundable on successful completion of the course. The program is funded by MC license fees. The courses fill up within a few weeks of opening every spring, and there are always long waiting lists.

I had to take the course before I was accepted into the Instructors training course, and discovered more than one bad habit that I had picked up during 37 years of riding. So, even for experienced riders, it's well worth the time. I only wish more states funded it as well as Illinois does.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
imported post

kyboy67 wrote:
My Wife is going this spring,she wants to start out onmy 1500 Vulcan for her first bike.

I'm not sure she can do it,she weighs 125 pounds but she thinks she can.

Actually other lady riders I have spoken with say it is easier to ride the bigger bike and they wished they would've started out on a bigger bike......
kyboy,

I'm an MSF instructor and unless your wife is already a rider may I suggest she take the basic (BRC) course on one of the school bikes. The basic course teaches the basics of riding a motorcycle from a zero skill/experience standpoint. The small bikes are provided for a reason in the BRC. Less chance of injury should their be a mishap, less power and easier to manipulate than a larger bike.

If she is not already a reasonably experienced rider she would likely be hard pressed to accomplish some of the riding objectives on the 1500.

There is absolutely nothing wrong and probably everything right about her taking the BRC on a smaller class provided bike and then making a decision on how to proceed concerning the 1500.

Transferring the skills to the larger bike will not be that hard if she in fact is capable of handling it. Let her ride for 6 months or so and go back and take the ERC on her 1500.

Just my two cents worth.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
imported post

If you're active duty military or retired military and you're close to a base they may offer it for free. I'm going to take the ERC course for free.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
imported post

Daveo wrote:
The BRC course was $175 here in the Austin TX Area.

The ERC course is $60 rider and $20 for co-rider (same class)

Bastrop Motorcycle Training

They are scheduling an ERC class for December 6, 2008 now if your interested.

http://www.bastropmotorcycletraining.com

Good Luck

Daveo
My Wife took the BRC classthrough Bastrop Motorcycle Traininglast weekend. I was impressed with what she told me about the class. The instructor rides for Ducatti, She actually showed the class how the pegs could be scraped in turns with no problems, Had them ride over boards, off road up a hillon the grass then up the hill on a gravel road and lots of attention to a rider if needed. Small class with only 9 slots I believe so each rider gets watched closely.While they were riding through the cones a little ol lady drove her car right past the cones blocking the parking lot,through the course,over the cones and between the bikes then back out of the parking lotnevernoticing any of it. :shock:I told my Wife the class just got some additional VERY good training by that little ol lady!Oh...THE WIFE PASSED!! We will be doing our own "parking lot training" tomorrow using her bike (Kawasaki Vulcan 750) so she can get used to the feel etc. before getting on the streets.:)

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

84GrayWing wrote:
If you're active duty military or retired military and you're close to a base they may offer it for free. I'm going to take the ERC course for free.
Hey, Jeff, THANKS for your service!:cool:

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
imported post

If you're a GWRRA member,sometimes the district rally will give the courses for about $15.00. I paid for the beginners course before joining up with GWRRA. Last spring, I took the experienced course at Morrillton, AR at the rally. They'll be doing it again next spring. Well worth doing even though you have ridden for years.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.