Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

News clip in the morning paper; rider on a 2007 Kawasaki got unhorsed when a cager swerved in front into his lane. he got dumped but the bike, with no one on board, continued another 300 ft beyond the impact before it went down.

Hard to believe but it really happened. Rider ended up with a broken arm, Driver guilty took off and police are still looking for him/her.

Polkwing (Oregon)

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
imported post

I hope the guilty party is found. Glad the biker is not too banged up.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

News account said rider had a broken arm but nothing more.

To date no report about driver responsible being located. IN addition to improper lane change without signalling it is against the law to fora driver not to stop and leave the scene of the accident.

My guess is chances of law finding the party are pretty slim unless a witness can be found and driver positively identified.

Polkwing

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
imported post

Might have been a driverless car????

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
imported post

I read some article somewhere about the gyroscopic characteristics of a two wheeler. They are prone to straighten themselves up and go in a straight line, as long as they don't hit something. I guess, in other words, if you were to jump off your bike, with the throttle locked, it will continue until something like a Mack truck, or a tree gets in its way.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
imported post

The wheels are basically gyroscopes, as long as they are spinning they want to stay upright. Until something gets in the way or causes the handlebars to turn they will go straight.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Story was driver of car was behind a ccity bus stopped at curb. Driver swung out to left to go around the bus, no signal, and either did not see the cycle or thot he could get around..(which he did), but not without hitting the cycle and knocking the rider off.

Seems a bit strange rider could have been knocked off without hitting the bike, upsetting the equilibrium so that bike could continue straight ahead with rider not at the controls.

Unusual set of circumstances to say the least but not uncharacteristic of cage driverswho don't pay attention to what is in the adjoining lane before making a change and no signal.

As usual, motorcyle and rider pay the price.

Polkwing

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

its not that strange it happens quite a lot on motorcycle racing, when the rider is thrown off but the bike remains upright.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.