Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Newbie here. Just got a GL1500. Really nice.

I'm thinking about a riders backrest. There appear to be at least two that are well respected. One is the Markland and the other is the Utopia. The Utopia requires a cut in the stock seat for the bracket, but looks pretty clean after its installed. The Markland doesn't requiring cutting the stock seat, but does have bars on either side of the seat and is not as clean looking after the install.

Which do all of you prefer? Anyone have specific experiences with each?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

No question about it, Utopia are awesome. Had one on the 15 and now have one on the 18. :clapper::clapper:

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
imported post

I have no idea what brand my backrest is, but it would be like the Markland with the bars. It is easy to install and easy to take off if you don't want it. It folds over so it's easy for the wife to swing her leg over. It's very comfortable and adjustable for a more layed back or forward position. Not a bad backrest.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

SailorKane wrote:
....I'm thinking about a riders backrest. There appear to be at least two that are well respected. One is the Markland and the other is the Utopia. ....

Which do all of you prefer? Anyone have specific experiences with each?
Don't have a Utopia but my wife HATES the Markland!!! Won't ride until I take it off and that includes the attaching brackets... really bothers her legs... I get a backache without one so will be getting a Utopia as soon as I can part with the cash... tired of taking it off and on.. and riding 2-up with a back ache...

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,841 Posts
imported post

I had the Markland style when I got my 1500 and it wasuncomfortable, mainly because of my size. My hips got sorefrom the bars. I upgraded to a Hartco seat and it has the same type of backrest as the utopia. Other seat Mfg's do as well, such as Corbin, Russell, etc. My co-riders also appreciate the center mount style.

John

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
imported post

Utopia is the only way!!

I had a Utopia on my 1200LTD and loved it. The wife loved it as it didn't interfere with her legs like the "bar mounted" type do.

I have the Markland on my 1500 now...but later today the Utopia is going in!!

I will have a Markland backrest for sale shortly:D

·
Just one of the guys
4,812 Posts
imported post

I have a stock seat with a Utopia on it sitting in the garage. I went with a custom seat and backrest so the stock one is for sale. I have not yet looked around to see what a fair price will be.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
imported post

I have a Show Chrome backrest that I don't use. Basic reason is that my wife feels crowded by it if I have it adjusted for my comfort. That's OK, Id rather lean back against her anyway.

It has only been used about three times, paid $180 for it and it's like new. The charcoal grey color. You can have it for the price of shipping.PM me if you are interested.

PT

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,826 Posts
imported post

I also bought my 1500 with a Markland backrest on it. Rode it with once and removed it. Too confining for me and wife. Can't compare it with the Utopia though???

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Yep, my wife also hates the bars down at her legs. I have not changed yet but going for a new seat after I'm back on the road, I hope.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
imported post

I have a Kuryakyn back rest. No complaints from the Mrs. yet.

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
imported post

I have a Markland on our 1200 with no complaints from da boss. I like having a backrest for my comfort, maybe when I move up to an 1800 I will get a Utopia, what the heck you only live once. Ride safe.:action::action:

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
imported post

I have a new 1800, just a couple weeks ago I installed a Utopia, been adding goodies since March, should have done this backrest first thing, best add on I have done yet, my fiance Deb had absolutely no complaints and I love it, it was hard getting the nerve to cut into the new heated seat my bike came with but the installation looks factory and it really was easy,

·
Premium Member
93 Honda Aspencade, 112,000 + miles
162 Posts
imported post

Utopia for us, my wife being kind of short might have a problem with the bars of other brands. Don't know for sure as Utopia is all we have had, one downside, lost the snapon puuch on the back and haven't been able to find one reasonable to replace it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.