Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just purchased a 98 1500 aspencade after riding a 02 shadow spirit for a few years.How tall , big etc do you need to be to ride one of these safely? I am 5'6 and feet will sit flat on ground but with no extra. Just wondering the size of others riding wings.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

I am 5'10" and I could ride my friends GL1500. A little heavy in the town for me at slow speeds, but they are great on long trips.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

well --- lets see here---i`m 5-8 and weight in at about 135 and ride a 1100 interstate (83) . i have ridden 1500 and find that stopping and putting feet down is a ball of the foot reach on both feet on both feet at the same time. just a bit wider reach for the feet (floor boards) . would i own one if i could ---- yes.

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
imported post

wayler wrote:
How tall , big etc do you need to be to ride one of these safely?
Legally, there are specifics depending on where you are. You can find that info in your state's riders handbook or the Vehicle Code book. I don't have a book for Wyoming but, my guess would be flat foot on both sides.

Practically, as long as you can get one foot (or partial)down you can do it.

I was 15 yrs, 110 lb, and 5' 6" with my first wing. To be safe depends on you ability and mentality.

Enjoy the new toy.:action:

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Read where starting in 95 they lowered the seat height a bit, have you found this to be true?

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
imported post

Hello wayler I'm also 5'6" tall. I have a 96 GL 1500 and havn't had any problems. Praactice in a parking lot low speed turns and hard lefts and rights. There are also videos out there (Lee Parks-Total Control) I think it's called. Teaches about feathering the clutch and using the rear brake for better control. Oh yea and also you want to learn the proper way to pick up a wing. I'ts bound to happen one day weather you've been riding long or not.:cheeky1:Mostly hurts pride more than the bike. Picking it up by yourself will save alittle face. :cool::action:Welcome to the world of wings.I found it's not the size of a person that matters it's the control one has through practice and riding experiences. Have fun.:waving:

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

And welcome to our forum!

I'm 5' 10", and can barely put both feet down flat. 51 years old, and tipping slightly to the left during a stop works for me, so right foot is still able to use the brake if I'm on a hill. I think most experience more problems with slow-speed riding than reaching the ground during a stop. Where there's a will, there's a way!

Keep us up to date as you learn your Wing!

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
imported post

I'm about the same height as you and I have been riding wings since 1991.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

Lil Pete wrote:
wayler wrote:
How tall , big etc do you need to be to ride one of these safely?
Legally, there are specifics depending on where you are. You can find that info in your state's riders handbook or the Vehicle Code book. I don't have a book for Wyoming but, my guess would be flat foot on both sides.

Practically, as long as you can get one foot (or partial)down you can do it.

I was 15 yrs, 110 lb, and 5' 6" with my first wing. To be safe depends on you ability and mentality.

Enjoy the new toy.:action:
Down here it will be the same as buying beer.......if you can reach the counter to put your money up there.....well your good:cooldevil: If you can reach the pegs, and when you stop keep it up right.......well your good there too!!:cooldevil::cooldevil:

Good luck and have many joyful and SAFE rides!!!!!:waving:

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,841 Posts
imported post

I had a '94 1500. It came with a Diamond seat that was real thick. Being 5'11" and 265# at the time, I could just put both feet flat on the ground.

I later picked up a late model stock 1500 seat. Wow! What a difference that made. I could put both heels on the ground and actually bend my knees a trifle.

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
imported post

These lovely machines are a big,heavy touring machine, not a 50cc run around town scooter. A bit of muscle helps sometimes.Since I practised picking it up life has been easier ....hahahahahaha !!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.