Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just curious , How long and what changes does it take to master a Goldwing trike!

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

If you can ride a lawnmower, you can ride a trike! You lose all leaning and counter steeringof the two wheeler, but the advantages make up for that. I have bad hip and back problems, and the trike was the only way I could continue to ride. I don't have to put my foot down all the time, I can carry more stuff with us, I have no need to balance the bike, and so on. You end up pushing and pulling on the grips, rather than just shifting your body a tad. You'll love it! It's a whole new deal,and fun as ever! :action:jimsjinx.

Attachments

·
Just one of the guys
4,799 Posts
imported post

If you have ever ridden ATV's or snowmobiles the transition to a trike takes ony about 1 minute. Otherwise the steering difference might take you a little bit to get used to but a couple of hours of nice easy riding should be all it takes to learn the difference. The first couple of stop signs I went to put my foot down but got over that very quickly.

·
Premium Member
6,422 Posts
imported post

The diffrence is not a very large amount , you no longer lean into curves you steer it thats the bigest diffrence.that first ride will tell you its still fun.
No feet down at stops . Take it easy in the curves till you are use to the diffrence. but ya can't lay it down in the s curves and power out at 70 anymore:smiler: but it beats hanging up the keys anyday.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
imported post

Much the same as whats previously said,bit of care in the twisties till the 3 wheels experience has been mastered.Then lots of:cheesygrin::cheesygrin:all the way,dont be shy when parking up either,lots of admiring attention when stopped.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks guys, I'm either going to have to get a smaller lighter bike or trike this one before long as my physical condition at 66 is deteriorating. I ran it out of gas at a stoplight the other day and had a hell of a time pushing her off the road

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
imported post

If you are not sure about doing the full trike you can add a tow pac to your 1500. It will act like a trike and you will not have to worry about holding the wing up. It also costs a lot less than a full trike and if by chance you wanted to go back to two wheels you can remove the tow pac in about 15 minutes.

The wife and I have one on ours and we love it!!!

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Jeffy,

Just make sure you get a red one, they are faster :ssshh:

My wife didn't do to well the first time she tired, it was so odd to her, she couldn't turn it at all and went through a bush :ROFL:. I ride both, but mostly the trike now. Love it.

·
Premium Member
6,422 Posts
imported post

maybe test ride one see if ya like it:smiler:

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
imported post

Lightin wrote:
maybe test ride one see if ya like it:smiler:
I agree. See if you can rent one for a long weekend.

I had a couple of them and put probably 8-10,000 miles on them together. I never could get used to them. After the first one someone convinced me it was poorly built annd I should try another. The second was no better, then I had a chance to put about 60 miles on a new TriGlide and it felt the same as the original Lehman.

·
Premium Member
6,422 Posts
imported post

MY rearend is not directly under passenger seat like most factory trikes are I believe Hannigan dose this as well the ride is so much smoother thatway my rearend is 4.5 inches back behind passenger seattotal lendgt axel to axel 81 "and my rear width is53" o/s tires it handles great.
not knocking any ones products but Had built a few Lehmans and they just were too stiff and boxy for me.

·
Trike Master
1,247 Posts
imported post

Remembering how wide you are so you don't hit curbs at corners or run into the gas pump island is about the only thing you really need to concentrate on for a while when first going to a trike.
Longer wheel base and Independent Rear Supension + a rake kit on the forks make for a very nice smooth ride.
Hannigan is at the top of the list for me!
If you consider one of the add on "training wheel" kits, you should consider the TriggTrike.
It's the only one of those type kits we handle.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
imported post

Itwont take long to learn to be comfortable on a trike. If you do decide to get one theres a couple of things to know. Being from California not all brands of trikes can be licensed . Find out if the model youre looking at can be titled in CA. Also if your having some health issues please look at getting a raked front end for ease of steering. I have a 3 degree on mine and I still have to work some soI would recommend a 4 degree or more. Also you'll find a lot of people recommend brands of trikes,try as many as you can because the best one is the one that feels good for you and your SO. If momma aint happy,nobodies happy.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
imported post

Man.....I am REALLY considering this.
(I don't have 1K on my wing yet) I have ALWAYS dug trikes. Even back when they were cobbled together, junkyard projects....Well, actually scratch that last part! I think 'feet up' stops and passenger ease of mounting and the ability to carry more with you is what attracts me to them.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
imported post

mctoy wrote:
Man.....I am REALLY considering this.
(I don't have 1K on my wing yet) I have ALWAYS dug trikes. Even back when they were cobbled together, junkyard projects....Well, actually scratch that last part! I think 'feet up' stops and passenger ease of mounting and the ability to carry more with you is what attracts me to them.
That feet up thing can bite you in the backside. I do about 85 to 90% of my riding on the sidecar bike. I don't forget to put my feet down at stop signs, but I have twice forgotten to put up the kickstand on the little bike.

Not only is that embarassing, but it could hurt.

BTW my wife named the GL1200,"the LittleBike".;)

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
imported post

Sidecar...
Had a similar experience years ago on a Honda 750 that left me momentarily confused, scared and nearly dropped the bike.
I had the bike on the sidestand, then put it up on the centerstand. Next day I rolled her forward off the center stand and BAM!!! Side stand still down.

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

Last July I spent a weekend and 475 miles on a friends goldwing trike , The wife and I both reached the same conclusion .

Whenwe have to leave two wheels I'll just buy another Miata and let the top back.

Now if you like them , go for it . I just don't

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
imported post

I like riding mine:waving:

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/D2l4cfd-vYU&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.