Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Baker air wings and (a/an?) evaporative vest. Any english teachers out there?:raspberry:

Rayjoe
A when the next word begins with a constanent
AN when the next word begins with a vowel
Except for this that and the other thing, just like the I before E rule LOL

Probably the only thing I ever learned in school English classes and I still mess it up often. :ROFL:

Baker Air wings are good. I never really notice that much heat on my legs to bother me really though, it's usually the upper body getting too hot on the 1500's for me.
I liked the Handwings on the mirrors on the 88 1500 allot for airflow and also to block some rain when needed.
Neither on 95, both on the 99.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Or the infamous round "swamp cooler" installed on 40s era automobiles...

"Installed is a tad bit sketchy though, if you call rolling down a window so it can hang onto the door frame and the window glass cranked up to lock it in place.
COOL! No pun intended! LOL
I never saw one of those old Auto swamp coolers but will have to watch for one now.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
"I have been riding my 94SE with the plastic surrounding the steering head removed, and cool air rushes up from below, and in front of the bike = that's nice"

Ill have to check that out. its is mostly from the waste down. I have double checked the vents and everything is hooked up and working properly. Sounds like I need to pick up a few thing to cool down my ride
I'm kinda surprised up in Maine you'd have much issues with heat on lower body. I stay cool enough for me even in southern heat, though the sun can cook top of legs a good bit.
Course we all have different temps our bodies are used to and prefer also.

Have you checked when riding to see if you are getting good airflow through the vents, that they are not plugged up with a mouse nest or something? Is the air temp the same as other air around you or hotter comming out of the vents?

Air wings work good, I had them on the 88 and on the 99 now, but lower body for me is not that all that hot on the 95 that does not have air wings and it's the one I ride most often also.

·
Administrator
58,192 Posts
COOL! No pun intended! LOL
I never saw one of those old Auto swamp coolers but will have to watch for one now.

Now that I think back on it, dad used to put crushed ice in the cooler, and add just enough water to fill it to the top line...

you don't dare over fill it, when you get up to 60 mph water starts blowing out into your face >:)

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Now that I think back on it, dad used to put crushed ice in the cooler, and add just enough water to fill it to the top line...

you don't dare over fill it, when you get up to 60 mph water starts blowing out into your face >:)

Neat stuff there.

Now the gears are turning. Build myself an air condition-are for the 1500! :ROFL:
Now that I see one it does not look too hard. Maybe 2 with 1 each side of the windshield.

Back to the OP topic, couple years ago I meet up with a guy with a 1200 that had PVC pipe and 45 fitting mounted to his crash bars with hose clamps. I think 3 or 4 " pipe.
He said that really cooled him well going down the road. It grabs the air ahead of the engine to get cool air, he could turn the pipe fitting to blow the air where he wanted like at head or chest or legs etc...
What he had made did not look to bad either and could look allot better like part of the bike with a little effort and some paint.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Back in my single riding days, I would just put a bunch of ice in the ole Camelbak and it would help on those hot days. Had even better luck when I switched out
my steel toes boots! Don't know why I rode so many years with those suckers

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
For those that have a cooler on their bike Sam's Club has the answer, it's $360 expensive though. I'm sure an inventive person could make one much cheaper. Basically it is a cooler, the lid has vents into it at one end and on the other end is an outlet vent with a fan and hose. The cooler gets filled with ice. If I were making one I'd put a baffle in the base so the air had to go down and back up through the ice rather than just over the top.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.